How does this sound so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice and tight as usual. I always thought the low level reverb is part of what makes your tunes tight like that. Not a lot of smear or extraneous noise to fill in between notes.

With the title and the arrangement of the tune, I can almost hear the lyrics. It'll be nice to see what you come up with.

awesome mix and song RAMI! my 2 cents.. .

the kick drum sounds a little weak and its more of an EQ thing than a volume thing

AWESOME rush-like run at 2.09 and 2.14 ... very cool... waiting for that signature rush synth to break during that part haha.

Snare could use some EQ boost in the very highs to get some more sizzle of the snares

some of the lead guitar work could be fatter, maybe double tracked.

your mix sounds good as is, just my personal taste
Thanx alot C. I'll look into all those things (kik, guitars, etc....) by the time this is final. I really appreciate the suggestions and comments. :cool:

I listened to it pretty loud and the reverb is kinda hard to pick up on, I think maybe it's the snare that's making it sound a bit dry, but I'm sure it will sound totally different and better with vocals.
Thanx Chicken. I'm not sure if more reverb equates to "better", but I will try everything, even lots more reverb, by the time this tune is done. Thanx again. :)

Nice and tight as usual. I always thought the low level reverb is part of what makes your tunes tight like that. Not a lot of smear or extraneous noise to fill in between notes.

With the title and the arrangement of the tune, I can almost hear the lyrics. It'll be nice to see what you come up with.
Cool Chili. Funny thing is, if I A/B'd this, or any of my tunes, before and after adding reverb, we'd hear a big difference. I think since I have a pretty dry room (unfortunately carpeted, which I can't remove), when I add what I think is a lot of reverb, it brings my tracks to the same wetness most other people's "dry" tracks have. Just an assumption. I also have this fear of crossing into cheesy 80's territory whenever I actually "hear" the reverb on my tunes. Maybe I should just loosen up and let the reverb rip and sound big, but I'm just not able to do that no matter how hard I try. :eek: :D

Maybe I should just loosen up and let the reverb rip and sound big, but I'm just not able to do that no matter how hard I try. :eek: :D

Please DON'T!! You've got this great sound we all enjoy. Don't change anything. :)

I don't mic my toms, so they fall where they fall in the overheads.

Not to turn this into a drum clinic, but you said the toms are being captured by the overheads. I get that. But how do you get such definition on toms and at the same time the cymbals so far back in the mix, all from overheads? Is it as simple as stick control?

Not to turn this into a drum clinic, but you said the toms are being captured by the overheads. I get that. But how do you get such definition on toms and at the same time the cymbals so far back in the mix, all from overheads? Is it as simple as stick control?

2 things:

1) I use a variation of the Glyn Johns micing method, so no mic is right over or very close to a cymbal. I find I get more toms and less cymbals with this way of micing.

2) For this tune, I copied my overhead track, cut everything out but the toms and have an instant tom track which I can turn up as loud as I want. I don't do anything to it as far as EQ or panning. I just use it to bring up the toms.

Sounds great, nice and tight.

I don't usually post un-finished tunes, but I can't do any vocals until this weekend.

I would consider making it an instrumental. Add a few lead guitar riffs and you could sell it to ESPN.

Sounds great, nice and tight.

I would consider making it an instrumental. Add a few lead guitar riffs and you could sell it to ESPN.
Thanx DK.

You know, I've often thought about taking some of my tunes, shortening them and making 1 to 2 minute "news" and "sports" music clips out of them. There must be some kind of market for that.

Yeah man, agree with the group..this sounds great...no nits here...looking forward to hear were you go with it...love the guitar sound ya got going on, great playing too!

2 things:

1) I use a variation of the Glyn Johns micing method, so no mic is right over or very close to a cymbal. I find I get more toms and less cymbals with this way of micing.

2) For this tune, I copied my overhead track, cut everything out but the toms and have an instant tom track which I can turn up as loud as I want. I don't do anything to it as far as EQ or panning. I just use it to bring up the toms.

Noted and thanks a million.

On listening again last night I noticed a very interesting wrangling of the rhythm about ¾ of the way thru. The guitars are playing off the beat or in ¾ or something while the drums are in destroy the kit mode in normal time. At first I thought you screwed up and after I smacked myself I replayed it and counted carefully. It’s a very clever juxtaposition of rhythms. That and your trade mark stops are what set you apart from so many.

"Must Spread Rep before giving it to Manslick, etc....".

Thanx a l lot Man (slick).

Trying to let this thread die. I have another tune up and I hate having to 2 tunes on page 1 of this forum.

Thanx for all the help everyone.

Sorry to keep it alive, but it really does sound good man! :)

I could always close this one if you like. ;)

Thanx a lot Jimmy. :cool:

Actually, that might be a good idea. I'm going to put vocals on it soon anyway, so I'll end up starting a new thread. Might as well kill this one.

Thanx bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back