Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How does this sound so far?

RAMI is offline Seen Your member

How does this sound so far?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I don't usually post un-finished tunes, but I can't do any vocals until this weekend. So, I figured I'd put up what I had so far.

I used a different snare and I'm having trouble getting used to the sound of this one. I don't know if it's just a matter of hearing my songs with a different snare sound, or if this snare just doesn't pop like it should.

Anyway, if you have any comments on the mix in general, that is always much appreciated.

Thanx

MAD (no vox)

Greg_L is offline Gregois le Bloodshit!
    Dude, that shit sounds awesome. This is probably the most rocking thing I've heard from you yet. The snare is a little fatter than usual, but that aint a bad thing for this song. I love it. Can't wait to hear it finished.

So what snare is this?
    New Gregor The Terror album! Download - El Bastardo Azul Or Buy the CD!
    New and old stuff - Soundcloud & Reverbnation

wolverine1190 is offline Newbie
    Sounds pretty good! The bass sounds great, and the drums sound really good too (I really like the toms). I hear what you mean about the snare not "popping", it's not a bad snare sound, it just doesn't have enough crack as I'd prefer. That's just my opinion though and I'm not sure what the overall vibe your going for is, like I said, it's definitely not bad. The only thing I don't particularly like is the tone of the rhythm guitar. Sounds like they could use a bit more high end for some definition and presence. I personally tend to like brighter, more aggressive sounding guitars, though, so take my opinion of them with a grain of salt. Once the vocal is in there they may fit perfectly.

Overall it sounds really good though! Thumbs up!

Manslick is offline Road
    I don't hear anything at all ambiance wise. Everything is bone dry.

Otherwise. Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_L View Post
    Dude, that shit sounds awesome. This is probably the most rocking thing I've heard from you yet. The snare is a little fatter than usual, but that aint a bad thing for this song. I love it. Can't wait to hear it finished.

So what snare is this?
    `Awesome man, thanx. This is my metal Sonor snare that I've used before, but I just put an Evans "Genera Dry" on it, which has a buiolt in O-ring type thing on it. It rings less than any head I've ever put on my drums, so I got to get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine1190 View Post
    Sounds pretty good! The bass sounds great, and the drums sound really good too (I really like the toms). I hear what you mean about the snare not "popping", it's not a bad snare sound, it just doesn't have enough crack as I'd prefer. That's just my opinion though and I'm not sure what the overall vibe your going for is, like I said, it's definitely not bad. The only thing I don't particularly like is the tone of the rhythm guitar. Sounds like they could use a bit more high end for some definition and presence. I personally tend to like brighter, more aggressive sounding guitars, though, so take my opinion of them with a grain of salt. Once the vocal is in there they may fit perfectly.

Overall it sounds really good though! Thumbs up!
    Thanx a lot, I really appreciate that. I'll look into the guitars once I mix this for real. Looking at my amp now, I see that I might have placed the mic a little too far outside on the cone. I'm pretty sure it's salvageable without having to re-track. Thanx a gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Manslick View Post
    I don't hear anything at all ambiance wise. Everything is bone dry.

Otherwise. Perfect.
    There's actually quite a bit of reverb on everything but the bass. But if you don't hear it, I'll look into using a different reverb setting. Thanx.

Manslick is offline Road
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMI View Post
    There's actually quite a bit of reverb on everything but the bass. But if you don't hear it, I'll look into using a different reverb setting. Thanx.
    Oh oh.. I listened at a low level, just didn't pick it up I guess.

Oh oh.. I listened at a low level, just didn't pick it up I guess.
    No, it's cool.This is why I post and ask for opinions. Your comment made me realize I'm actually using a pretty dark room reverb and it might not be cutting through.I'm going to try something a little brighter.

Manslick is offline Road
    Yes I listened again at full blast and still nothing, even on those stops. But shit it's so tight it really doesn't need any. Well maybe the kit some.

Yes I listened again at full blast and still nothing, even on those stops. But shit it's so tight it really doesn't need any. Well maybe the kit some.
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I don't usually put a lot of reverb on guitars anyway. So, without vocals, the only thing that should have "audible" reverb on it is drums right now. I'm using a "drum room" reverb impulse for the first time, and it's definitely dark, probably too dark.

Thanx man.

Greg_L is offline Gregois le Bloodshit!
    I agree with the guitar comments. I was ultimately focused on the drums, but I did think the guitars were a little dark. A little EQ will clean that right up.

And please don't go reverbing it all up. I think the best reverb is the reverb you can't tell is even there.
    New Gregor The Terror album! Download - El Bastardo Azul Or Buy the CD!
    New and old stuff - Soundcloud & Reverbnation

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information