How do I use my 01v reverb on dry tracks in cubase?

boze

kit list:
dp867 g4 running cubase sx in 10.2.4
motu2408 mk1 pci soundcard
at4033 (x2 but not a matched pair)
yamaha 01v
event 20/20bas
ath-m40fs phones
esteve classical
gibson es165

I've mostly done computer music composition to this point using Reason and Cubase. I've done a bit of room recording of a jazz combo I put together a while back but now I'm doing some solo guitar/vocal stuff and I'm noticing that the reverb plugin that comes with Cubase is not comparable to the reverb on my yammy 01v.

I've been monitoring with reverb in the headphones when I track myself singing- which I read you're supposed to do and I can see why- and I'm glad that I'm not recording that reverb. I've never nailed down the hw terminology for the signal path and it's various stops in the recording process so forgive me for not saying this properly.

Anyway, recording dry is what I want and monitoring via headphones with reverb works well. But now I'd like to pass the tracks out of cubase back through the mixer and process them with the 01v. I can't afford a rack effect unit and I'm itching to have that reverb available to me because it sounded so much better than the results I can get out of my sw.

Here's a link to my first attempt which includes a noticable use of the not-so-satisfying sw reverb.

Any other suggestions are welcome as well- this is my first attempt at guitar/vocal recording and I'm sure I'm missing a ton of technique.

Thanks for your time..

Which brand of software reverb are you using? The one that came with Cubase?

Because if you want a high quality reverb you can better buy one. There are professional sounding sw reverbs on the market that are pretty cheap, most of them are about $70,- (Anwida freeverb is very good, the pro version is even better, Ultrafunk also has a great reverb. And I personally love the WaveArts Masterverb & Cakewalk FX3 Soundstage plugins)

All these reverbs kick the Cubase reverb's ass. And they're as good as any hardware reverb, in my opinion (but I'm not a pro, mind you)

Nice performance, btw.

You hear a lot of mouthnoises during the moments you're not singing, but I kinda like that. :)

What exactly bothers you about this reverb?

thx p-
the plugin world, while pretty affordable, isn't the route i'm trying to go- i know there are good solutions- i've heard great things about altiverb for example. but i have an interest in learning this mixing process because i'm not taking advantage of the fx on my 01v. plus i'm flat broke =)

yeah, the mouth noise thing is something i need to sort out as well. one thing at a time though- need to learn to send stuff through the mixer and record the processed audio back into cubase. that's the mission for right now.

thanks for the ideas though- i'll check those sw companies out and see what they have for osx.

Back