Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "Hothead" Old recording drum help

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Thanks Strat. Kind of a wierd song idea that just came out of me one night, it's in Eb but played in standard tuning. Did the rhythms on a 2001 USA strat decked out with the David Gilmour EMG pick-up set-up, I think the leads were done on my '97 Jeff Beck strat, but I don't remember. I'll turn that bass up some and see how it sounds. I'm probably going to hold off on attempting to re-do the drums on this particular tune. I have a few other recordings that will have vocals, so I'm going to attempt it with those instead.

Thanks Boulder, cool vid and watched a few more that popped up, too. I watched a bunch on basic operations when I first got ProTools a few weeks ago, and still do occasionally, but for some reason it never occurred to me to check YouTube for drum/timing vids. From what I've been watching, it seems I will have to line it up manually best I can with the PT click. I know my tempos, so that's not the issue. I just hope I can line them up to the exact millisecond, I'll try.

Thanks
    From what I gather you simply line the first beat of the waveforms to the first beat of the click track, then set the tempo to whatever makes the click line up with the audio for the rest of the song. There are tools to help with getting the exact tempo. It should be a fairly simple thing to do.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bouldersoundguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just thought I'd revive this thread, because after re-doing the drums on a few easier recordings first, I'm finally attempting this one. Thanks for the help from all who chimed in, as it is not too difficult to line things up with the grid in ProTools. The OP is still the original version, with all the machine-gun drum rolls from the old drum machine. And if I thought the first few easier tunes I re-did the drums for were tedious, this one takes the cake, holy crap. Trying to match every hit on every roll, I feel like a surgeon. I'm seeing midi-dots in my sleep.

No need to comment on the mix, since I'll be re-mixing from scratch once I'm done with the drum track from hell
    Pro Tools 12.7 - Superior Drummer 2.0 - Sound Forge Pro 10

Thanks
    Great playing as always. The guitars have a bit of harshness to my ears, and as mentioned the bass could come up. Otherwise, no nits to pick.

If the original is digital, I'd say that makes it easier. That's because the time should be consistent throughout. Just render all the files and import them into your DAW at the right tempo. Everything should turn out fine. If it was tape, there may be little inconsistencies in the playback that complicate things. If would first try syncing your recording to the DAW, then play the parts into the DAW one by one and see how well they line up. The alternative would be to bring all the guitars in as a stereo mix, which means fewer tracks to line up but less control.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Robus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Robus. The transferring part is easy, also pretty simple to line the tracks up to the beat. I already re-did the drums for four older recordings recently. This particular one is tough because of all the crazy rolls in it, not hard, just time consuming. I'm actually just about done with it, I must be getting better because it didn't take as long as I thought it would.

I'm remixing it from scratch tonight, when you say the guitars are a little harsh, are you referring to the rhythm guitars or the leads? Or both?

Thanks
    Rhythm guitars more than lead.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Robus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I won't be of any recording help. But, I'm listening to your tunes. Great guitar work.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowman999 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Snowman

Thanks
    I thought the guitars sounded pretty good. If you de-harsh the rhythm, I wouldn't do it by much. Maybe a real thin notch - 2-3db - around 2400hz. They did have a little solid-state/static-y upper midrange to the.

Great playing as always.

Thread Information