Holiday In Cambodia - Classic Punk Rock Butchery :D

FoulPhil

This one I'm not really taking seriously and don't expect anyone else to either. Just trying to have a little fun while I'm working on some music :guitar:

Lol. That was horrendous. You took a revered classic punk rock masterpiece and farted all over it. :D

Besides the stupid vocal styling, I actually really liked it. The heavy guitar styling actually worked for me. You stayed pretty true to the original arrangement. Mix seems okay to me. The fake drums aren't even that annoying. Good job overall, except for the vocals. :laughings:

Lol. That was horrendous. You took a revered classic punk rock masterpiece and farted all over it. :D

Besides the stupid vocal styling, I actually really liked it. The heavy guitar styling actually worked for me. You stayed pretty true to the original arrangement. Mix seems okay to me. The fake drums aren't even that annoying. Good job overall, except for the vocals. :laughings:

Yeah there is a little discrepancy at the pole pot part that goes into the chorus with the midi arrangement, but seeing how it's just a cover I let it slide lol. I did manage to take a very stale and mechanical midi drum arrangement and used quantize to humanize it a little. The high hat is probably the main thing that I couldn't get to sound natural. The vocals are awesome lol :thumbs up:

I have another cover song I'm going to do, not punk rock, but equality funny. I'll post it once I get around to finishing it up. :)

Lol, yeah the vocals are actually awesome. You do that style very very well. Very well. It's just a really stupid style.

Lol, yeah the vocals are actually awesome. You do that style very very well. Very well. It's just a really stupid style.

Yeah it's not for everyone. I don't expect most people to like it, but the people who do like it think it's awesome. I've tried different vocals styles, but just can't pull them off as well as the Death Metal vocal.

Yeah it's not for everyone. I don't expect most people to like it, but the people who do like it think it's awesome. I've tried different vocals styles, but just can't pull them off as well as the Death Metal vocal.

Your semi "americana" stuff was okay. "Sheeple" or whatever that shit was didn't have bad vocals.

I tend to prefer your death metal stuff, myself, Phil.

The mix is pretty alright. Jello's vocals are pretty iconic, so it's hard to top them.

The kick seems much louder than the rest of the drums.

I tend to prefer your death metal stuff, myself, Phil.

The mix is pretty alright. Jello's vocals are pretty iconic, so it's hard to top them.

The kick seems much louder than the rest of the drums.

Wasn't trying to do it anything like jello lol.

...so I see someone did Holiday in Cambodia, so I click. I recognized your name as a guy who did a lot of metal stuff, so I'm thinking, "Ok, as long as it's not TOO metal (gratuitous double bass, pacing that's either too fast or too slow, etc), this might be ok. So I hit the play button...

And I'll be damned! Don't particularly like the bass tone, but that's no big deal... I like the guitar tone, the pace is just fine, and everything sounds really good.

Then the vocals kick in and I laugh out loud. At that point I realized if I'd paid more attention your entire thread title and the two sentences in your first post I would have forseen this... but me being lazy and the sort to skim, after the intro I was primed up for the whole song, thinking it wasn't going to get too wacky. I must tip my cap to you for pissing in my cereal there! :)

The music is good enough that you may as well do a real vocal take and post it. Mimicking Jello's singing is like mimicking Danzig's... pretty much anyone can sound like him, and it's amusing to attempt.

There are plenty of annoying voices you can use. Try doing it like Sammy Hagar or the guy from Rush. Or Bruce Springsteen! Actually, that last one would probably sound worse than the death metal voice, AND make me feel like I'm supposed to feel guilty about some social issue... :)

...so I see someone did Holiday in Cambodia, so I click. I recognized your name as a guy who did a lot of metal stuff, so I'm thinking, "Ok, as long as it's not TOO metal (gratuitous double bass, pacing that's either too fast or too slow, etc), this might be ok. So I hit the play button...

And I'll be damned! Don't particularly like the bass tone, but that's no big deal... I like the guitar tone, the pace is just fine, and everything sounds really good.

Then the vocals kick in and I laugh out loud. At that point I realized if I'd paid more attention your entire thread title and the two sentences in your first post I would have forseen this... but me being lazy and the sort to skim, after the intro I was primed up for the whole song, thinking it wasn't going to get too wacky. I must tip my cap to you for pissing in my cereal there! :)

Thanks for listening and glad you liked it. Most people don't like Death Metal. The most common thing I hear is it was great until the vocals, not just with my music, but with Death Metal in general. It's a type of music that has been expanding for over the last 34 years with no contribution from mainstream society what so ever. Remember when rock n roll use to be wild and dangerous? I remember when bands like the sex pistols got the same reaction that Death Metal gets today from your average listener. Now it's all pop culture. Hipsters buying their dead kennedys t-shits at hot topic and joining all the other yuppies for a quick lunch in the Mall's food court. Doesn't matter if you're a fan of Justin Bieber, Kanye West or the newest hard rock played on the radio station. It's all become socially acceptable and manufactured in some Chinese factory for 1 penny just so you can buy a shit CD for $15.99. All the while teams of writers and marketing experts are busy toiling away to figure out the latest trend to exploit. What does all this have to do with anything? Like that old saying, if it's too loud you're too old. Everyone is hip and cool about music until it comes to Death Metal. Then they aren't as open minded as they claim to be LOL :thumbs up:

The music is good enough that you may as well do a real vocal take and post it. Mimicking Jello's singing is like mimicking Danzig's... pretty much anyone can sound like him, and it's amusing to attempt.

There are plenty of annoying voices you can use. Try doing it like Sammy Hagar or the guy from Rush. Or Bruce Springsteen! Actually, that last one would probably sound worse than the death metal voice, AND make me feel like I'm supposed to feel guilty about some social issue... :)

That would be an ass fcking waste of my time. It just wouldn't be fun, but I also don't see how doing mediocre impersonations of classic artists would be rewarding or fulfilling in any way. I've never been a fan of cover bands or karaoke, which is kind of why I don't like much rap music. Rap and Hop hoppers are little more than karaoke singers LOL. The talentless hacks. There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of people out there shitting all over bad performances of their favorite bands. I would rather just do it my way knowing not everyone will like it and being fine with it. I don't play Death Metal so everyone will like it. I play it for my own personal tastes (because I like it) and for all the other people who like extreme metal as well. :listeningmusic:

The recording sounds good to me. I like the guitar work and the arrangement. I'm not into death metal vocals but it's fun to hear them in this song.
Good recording phil

I don't know what to make of this - I love the original and I cover it myself :D. It's definitely interesting to hear somebody else's take on an old favourite, but the death metal vocals are pretty Marmite. Good recording though. :D

The recording sounds good to me. I like the guitar work and the arrangement. I'm not into death metal vocals but it's fun to hear them in this song.
Good recording phil

Hey thanks lol. One of my favorite things to do is take a song that people wouldn't expect and try to turn it into a Death Metal song. I did this cover a long time ago as an example. :D

I don't know what to make of this - I love the original and I cover it myself :D. It's definitely interesting to hear somebody else's take on an old favourite, but the death metal vocals are pretty Marmite. Good recording though. :D

Yeah I listen to a shitload of different music. DK is one of my favorites along with many others. I could listen to 30s jazz one day, outlaw country the next, old school gangster rap or Tejano type music like Nortenoz and Corridos. I'm a total music nerd :laughings:

Thanks for listening and glad you liked it. Most people don't like Death Metal. The most common thing I hear is it was great until the vocals, not just with my music, but with Death Metal in general. It's a type of music that has been expanding for over the last 34 years with no contribution from mainstream society what so ever. Remember when rock n roll use to be wild and dangerous? I remember when bands like the sex pistols got the same reaction that Death Metal gets today from your average listener. Now it's all pop culture. Hipsters buying their dead kennedys t-shits at hot topic and joining all the other yuppies for a quick lunch in the Mall's food court. Doesn't matter if you're a fan of Justin Bieber, Kanye West or the newest hard rock played on the radio station. It's all become socially acceptable and manufactured in some Chinese factory for 1 penny just so you can buy a shit CD for $15.99. All the while teams of writers and marketing experts are busy toiling away to figure out the latest trend to exploit. What does all this have to do with anything? Like that old saying, if it's too loud you're too old. Everyone is hip and cool about music until it comes to Death Metal. Then they aren't as open minded as they claim to be LOL :thumbs up:

I would also have accepted, "Fuck you if you don't like it. Death metal's what I like, so I sang it in death metal style." :)

Like I said, I've listened to some of the songs you've posted, and I'd made the association in my mind of you as the death metal guy. When I listened to this, given the music in the beginning, I thought you had compromised your style a bit. I laughed when the vocals kicked in because they proved you indeed had not... which is the way it oughta be, and is why I tipped my hat to you. That and because the music does sound really good.

I was kidding about singing it in different voices, by the way. Someday I'll learn to be more clear when typing as to what's a joke and what's serious. These goddamned smiley faces don't always cut it! :)

I would also have accepted, "Fuck you if you don't like it. Death metal's what I like, so I sang it in death metal style." :)

Like I said, I've listened to some of the songs you've posted, and I'd made the association in my mind of you as the death metal guy. When I listened to this, given the music in the beginning, I thought you had compromised your style a bit. I laughed when the vocals kicked in because they proved you indeed had not... which is the way it oughta be, and is why I tipped my hat to you. That and because the music does sound really good.

I was kidding about singing it in different voices, by the way. Someday I'll learn to be more clear when typing as to what's a joke and what's serious. These goddamned smiley faces don't always cut it! :)

No worries, sometimes I enjoy making long winded posts. Don't take it the wrong way :P

Don't take it the wrong way :P

Nothing taken the wrong way here, I just share your occasional fondness for...

FoulPhil said:
sometimes I enjoy making long winded posts

It now occurs to me that I could have just said from the beginning, "I hate your vocals but I like that you did your own thing with it." I somehow blew that one-sentence idea up into paragraphs. If I ever end up with carpal tunnel syndrome I'll be able to trace it to bloviating like a jerkoff on this website. :)

Wait, really? 'cause your impersonation was spot on! :D

I know, I meant it in a "while your vocals sound cool, the fact that it doesn't sound like Jello is a distraction" sort of way. Obviously, you should make the song your own, but Jello's weird vocals really set a high bar.

This one I'm not really taking seriously and don't expect anyone else to either. Just trying to have a little fun while I'm working on some music :guitar:

I like it. The drums are great, although the kick could be turned down a dB. The guitars work as counterpart to the drums. The vocals are suitably growly, but they're not quite cutting through past the guitars. The song sounds better during the instrumental portions, but that shouldn't be. You gotta find a way to make those vocals more... more... I dunno. What would I do with them? Turn them up, probably. That'll do it. :D

Back