Holiday In Cambodia - Classic Punk Rock Butchery :D

That was an interesting listen but if the song were to be repackaged for a diff. genre I'd like to hear it acoustic and hippy style or maybe psychaedelic.
My throat hurts just listening.

Wait, really? 'cause your impersonation was spot on! :D

I know, I meant it in a "while your vocals sound cool, the fact that it doesn't sound like Jello is a distraction" sort of way. Obviously, you should make the song your own, but Jello's weird vocals really set a high bar.

Although I agree that DK is a great band, I'm not sure I agree if jello really set the bar all that high. He kind of sounds like Fred Schneider from B52s without real control of vibrato lol...

I like it. The drums are great, although the kick could be turned down a dB. The guitars work as counterpart to the drums. The vocals are suitably growly, but they're not quite cutting through past the guitars. The song sounds better during the instrumental portions, but that shouldn't be. You gotta find a way to make those vocals more... more... I dunno. What would I do with them? Turn them up, probably. That'll do it. :D

I really didn't spend much time on the vocals. It's just like a quick fun thing. Not really trying to do much with it.

That was an interesting listen but if the song were to be repackaged for a diff. genre I'd like to hear it acoustic and hippy style or maybe psychaedelic.
My throat hurts just listening.

Word. It's like how I do an acoustic version of Iron Maiden, but never got around to recording it. I keep meaning to get around to some acoustic rock type shit, but maybe next year LOL :D

Although I agree that DK is a great band, I'm not sure I agree if jello really set the bar all that high. He kind of sounds like Fred Schneider from B52s without real control of vibrato lol...

Jello Biafra doesn't set a high bar with vocal prowess. It's not like he's Celine Dion or something. How he sets a high bar is that his vocal style is synonymous with the Dead Kennedy's sound. Like East Bay Ray's surfy dirty guitar sound. That stuff is the Dead Kennedy's. Any deviation from those things in a DK song seems odd.

Jello Biafra doesn't set a high bar with vocal prowess. It's not like he's Celine Dion or something. How he sets a high bar is that his vocal style is synonymous with the Dead Kennedy's sound. Like East Bay Ray's surfy dirty guitar sound. That stuff is the Dead Kennedy's. Any deviation from those things in a DK song seems odd.

Well I did warn in the title that I "butchered" the song :laughings:

Well I did warn in the title that I "butchered" the song :laughings:

Lol, I know, you did indeed butcher it. I'm just saying that's why some people might feel uncomfortable with the vocals. Some bands have a style or sound that just isn't easily replaceable and some songs just shouldn't be fucked with. When someone tries, it can seem odd or even potentially disrespectful to people intimately familiar with the original. For someone that's never heard Holiday in Cambodia, or isn't familiar with DK, this might not seem like a big deal. To those of us that know DK very well, we're like "wtf has this retard done to our song"? :D

Lol, I know, you did indeed butcher it. I'm just saying that's why some people might feel uncomfortable with the vocals. Some bands have a style or sound that just isn't easily replaceable and some songs just shouldn't be fucked with. When someone tries, it can seem odd or even potentially disrespectful to people intimately familiar with the original. For someone that's never heard Holiday in Cambodia, or isn't familiar with DK, this might not seem like a big deal. To those of us that know DK very well, we're like "wtf has this retard done to our song"? :D

That's funny because some people think it's better now :listeningmusic:

That sadly doesn't surprise me at all.

Well you got to keep in mind you've had decades to hear DK over and over again. Some people haven't adjusted to that kind of music and think the singing is awful and music is over simplified. Same for every kind of music. Some people like some stuff and some people don't. Luckily everyone has different tastes or it would be really boring. Not to mention if everyone had the same tastes it wouldn't be hard finding friends who have a lot of things in common with you. Then it wouldn't really be all that special :D

Well you got to keep in mind you've had decades to hear DK over and over again. Some people haven't adjusted to that kind of music and think the singing is awful and music is over simplified. Same for every kind of music. Some people like some stuff and some people don't. Luckily everyone has different tastes or it would be really boring. Not to mention if everyone had the same tastes it wouldn't be hard finding friends who have a lot of things in common with you. Then it wouldn't really be all that special :D

I agree with all that, and DK isn't for everyone. I doubt my mom would like to hear I Kill Children or Too Drunk To Fuck - even though she did probably hear those songs blasting over and over from my bedroom throughout my teenage at-home years. But I can't with a clear conscience respect the opinions of someone that thinks constipation growl vocals are better than Jello Biafra's for his own song. I mean, I get that you did it for fun and I don't think you have bad intentions with anything, but if someone actually thinks this is better than the original, well, I'll just say that I feel pretty justified with my complete lack of respect for modern metal fans. :laughings:

I agree with all that, and DK isn't for everyone. I doubt my mom would like to hear I Kill Children or Too Drunk To Fuck - even though she did probably hear those songs blasting over and over from my bedroom throughout my teenage at-home years. But I can't with a clear conscience respect the opinions of someone that thinks constipation growl vocals are better than Jello Biafra's for his own song. I mean, I get that you did it for fun and I don't think you have bad intentions with anything, but if someone actually thinks this is better than the original, well, I'll just say that I feel pretty justified with my complete lack of respect for modern metal fans. :laughings:

Yeah a lot of metal people would think it's too soft. It would be like oldies rock n roll or something. But not all metal heads are the same. People who listen to Death metal are usually extremely open minded when it comes to music. I mean they listen to Death Metal LOL.

Back