high school confidential

Listening to the new mix, vocals still sound great. Guitars are doing their job. I thought the mix could use a bit more bottom.

See, this is what I'm talkin' about.. The vocals, I mean. Such a small percent of home recordists are able to cut loose like this. But you do, and get great results. Very loose and confident.. really makes the song.

I actually wish this was a little longer, but I imagine it's the original JLL arrangement. Guitars sound good, authentic for the period. Some of the drum fills are a little stiff, but the energy of the song really carries it through. Great job.

I listened to the 'remix' in the first post, btw.
Thanks Man. I got off pitch on the line in the 2nd verse "I got to give you the news". It kind of bugs the shit out of me now that i've listened to it over and over again while mixing. But I don't really want to recut the vocal. It's close to the original JLL arrangement. Maybe a little faster tempo than his original studio cut but not by much. I read in an interview with a record producer one time that, in his opinion, a good single has the listener not wanting the song to end....so, maybe this was a good recording session. I am very weak on the drums. Maybe if I keep playing them I'll get better.
Thanks for checking out the remix!

Listening to the new mix, vocals still sound great. Guitars are doing their job. I thought the mix could use a bit more bottom.

Thanks for checking out the remix robus. I mixed that last one with shot ears from tracking some guitar.

I mixed on it a bit tonight and I think its getting there now.

Real close. If it were me, I'd give it one more tweak on the bass. But it might already be enough for you.

Thanks Man. I got off pitch on the line in the 2nd verse "I got to give you the news". It kind of bugs the shit out of me now that i've listened to it over and over again while mixing.

Ha, yeah.. I often have parts of my stuff that bug me, where I'm off pitch or the drums are a little stiff, and it always baffles me when I post in here and NOBODY hears that stuff, but they pick out other things that I don't even notice, and I'm all like "THAT's not what's wrong with the song!" lol.

I am very weak on the drums. Maybe if I keep playing them I'll get better.

Oh yeah, keep doing anything and you'll get better. :)

Finally got back to this. Your latest mix is really good. There's a little width to the sound stage now and the gits are a little louder. Just right to me. I would have been sweating like hog playin' those hats that fast! Thought I heard a stick mis-hit (wood on wood) in a spot or two, but I like that...makes it real!

Real close. If it were me, I'd give it one more tweak on the bass. But it might already be enough for you.
I listened to some of my favorite pro mixes and this one is still lacking in the bottom end dept....I will fix that on the next mix
Ha, yeah.. I often have parts of my stuff that bug me, where I'm off pitch or the drums are a little stiff, and it always baffles me when I post in here and NOBODY hears that stuff, but they pick out other things that I don't even notice, and I'm all like "THAT's not what's wrong with the song!" lol.

Oh yeah, keep doing anything and you'll get better. :)

yeah, I'm prone to distribute, or post on the net, stuff that isn't ready to be released to the general public. A lot if my stuff is not there that makes me cringe when I hear it.
Finally got back to this. Your latest mix is really good. There's a little width to the sound stage now and the gits are a little louder. Just right to me. I would have been sweating like hog playin' those hats that fast! Thought I heard a stick mis-hit (wood on wood) in a spot or two, but I like that...makes it real!

I was doing a roll on the hats with both hands and going to the snare with my right hand on the upnbeat

I listened to some of my favorite pro mixes and this one is still lacking in the bottom end dept....I will fix that on the next mix

yeah, I'm prone to distribute, or post on the net, stuff that isn't ready to be released to the general public. A lot if my stuff is not there that makes me cringe when I hear it.

I was doing a roll on the hats with both hands and going to the snare with my right hand on the upnbeat

Yeah, I figured that...but still...It's cookin' right along there! Nice job.

I listened to the "I think it's getting there" mix.

Yeah it's getting there. The mix suited the 50's style. I liked the out-front vocal. Wasn't a fan of all the reverb on it. I wonder what this mix would sound like bone-dry. I think that might be cool.

Tone on things is real good.

I might turn up those guitar licks on the left side. When it's soloing, I'd move it to the center.

That's about it. Nice sound.

Oh the last chord cuts off abruptly.

I listened to the "I think it's getting there" mix.

Yeah it's getting there. The mix suited the 50's style. I liked the out-front vocal. Wasn't a fan of all the reverb on it. I wonder what this mix would sound like bone-dry. I think that might be cool.

Tone on things is real good.

I might turn up those guitar licks on the left side. When it's soloing, I'd move it to the center.

That's about it. Nice sound.

Oh the last chord cuts off abruptly.

Thanks Triple.
The original version, on sun records, was completely washed in reverb (all their stuff was).
Almost everything the killer ever record his whole career has a heavy dose of reverb.
That being said, you may be right..a dry version of this might be cool.

OK. This is another mix. I am pretty happy with this one. It is better than the previous ones IMO. To get it better I would have to retrack the rhythm guitars....but here it is warts and all. Thanks for all the help

Jimi, I listened to this a bunch of times at various mix stages and kepy meaning to post, but didn't. Sounds very cool man, love the vocals and you captured that era incredibly well. Good work :thumbs up:

Jimi, I listened to this a bunch of times at various mix stages and kepy meaning to post, but didn't. Sounds very cool man, love the vocals and you captured that era incredibly well. Good work :thumbs up:
thanks rob. I appreciate the listen and kind words!

First thing as soon as it started - Mix is perfect!!! The levels are perfect and it has some kind of mild creaminess (no other way to put it). That last vocal line just reverberates perfectly.
Bit late to the party but damn - glad I caught this one.
Then there's the playing and singing....excellent!

First thing as soon as it started - Mix is perfect!!! The levels are perfect and it has some kind of mild creaminess (no other way to put it). That last vocal line just reverberates perfectly.
Bit late to the party but damn - glad I caught this one.
Then there's the playing and singing....excellent!

Thanks a lot bro. It was a fun song for me to record. I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the kind words!

Nice job, Jimi. Did you deliberately mix the kit over to the left? I know that panning decisions could be a little quirky in the fifties and sixties. :D Singing and guitar playing are excellent as usual. The big reverb sounds almost right, but I think it needs a short single delay on the vocal mixed in with it, timed to the track. It will liven up the vocal rhythmically. Drums and bass are doing their job but the guitar and vocal are the stars. :)

Last edited:
Nice job, Jimi. Did you deliberately mix the kit over to the left? I know that panning decisions could be a little quirky in the fifties and sixties. :D Singing and guitar playing are excellent as usual. The big reverb sounds almost right, but I think it needs a short single delay on the vocal mixed in with it, timed to the track. It will liven up the vocal rhythmically. Drums and bass are doing their job but the guitar and vocal are the stars. :)
thanks Bubba.
I'm weak on bass and drums...not as weak on guitar and vocals. I know exactly what you're talking about on the short delay...the old Sun records rockabilly slap back echo. I thought about doing it on this.

Nice job, James. You've got a voice, Mister!
Thanks lou!

Back