high school confidential

jimistone

long standing member
Just some good old school style rock and roll. I did a quick mix. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Playing this style of roots rock is a blast!

remix

I think its getting there now

I think it's MORE there now!

Last edited:
Sounds good Jimi. Vocals are terrific, as is guitar. Bass loses the beat a few times. Love the guitar solo.

Nice job jimi...Were you going for a mono mix? That's good for this genre (era).

Everything's down the middle, and that's cool! Only think I hear creeping to the right a little is the hats.

I would like to hear that lead guitar up just a smidge throughout. Even before you take that ride later in the tune, the lead is throwing in some tasty licks but they're a little buried. Cool if that's what you're going for. Not smart enough to add other mix comments. As always, your vocal rocks!

Yeah, its kind of strange that everything is in the center except for the hats. And the lead licks do need to be louder - the lead section is ok, just the between vocal line parts. Snare could come up just a bit, too. Old school feel, for sure - Back to the Future Part 4 song? ;-)

Sounds good Jimi. Vocals are terrific, as is guitar. Bass loses the beat a few times. Love the guitar solo.
Thanks Robus. I appreciate the comments. I got the tempo pretty fast on this one. It kind of ran off and left me on the bass...which isn't really my instrument. Also, I'm playing all instruments and the drums were the last thing to be recorded. So, I kind of did it backwards

Nice job jimi...Were you going for a mono mix? That's good for this genre (era).

Everything's down the middle, and that's cool! Only think I hear creeping to the right a little is the hats.

I would like to hear that lead guitar up just a smidge throughout. Even before you take that ride later in the tune, the lead is throwing in some tasty licks but they're a little buried. Cool if that's what you're going for. Not smart enough to add other mix comments. As always, your vocal rocks!
Thanks magoo.
I wasn't really going for a mono mix. I recorded the drums with 2 overheads and a bass drum mic. I panned the over heads left and right. I recorded the 2 rythym guitar parts twice and panned one left and one right....I guess they canceled each bother out and created a mono sound. I agree the lead.may need to come up. I appreciate the comments

Yeah, its kind of strange that everything is in the center except for the hats. And the lead licks do need to be louder - the lead section is ok, just the between vocal line parts. Snare could come up just a bit, too. Old school feel, for sure - Back to the Future Part 4 song? ;-)

Thanks mjb.
Panning of the tracks in the stereo field is something I can't seem to get right. I guess it's my weakest point, among many weak points, in the recording process.

My vision for this tune was to do a real fast distorted guitar version of it...kind of like the Ramones did with "Do you want to dance". But, I kind of changed my mind and gravitated towards a more traditional sound. So, I ended up with a traditional style 50s sound with a really fast tempo.
I think it's kind of cool though.

Fifties is definitely not my thing, but you've really pulled together some nice tones to fit that era! For 50s the hats are a bit bright, and I honestly think a completely mono mix might fit better...
There were a few performance issues from the bass (a bit ahead of the beat around 1:30) and drums (the break just before the solo it sounds like you weren't sure what to do on the drums and just didn't), but that also fits the "live" feel of 50s recordings. Your voice certainly fits the style. Couple of minor performance nits on the voice, too. But I doubt the majority of "normal" listeners (whatever that means) would even notice. Nice work! :)

Sorry for the political slant in this post. (Double spaces between all the sentences per the Opus/Bill platform)...

That's terrific shit man. I love the energy of the vocals. That's how all vocals should be. I got to believe it when I hear it. And I believe it on this one :D

Great vocals. Guitars can go way up (IMO), both rhythm and lead. Really like the overall vibe of the mix though. It sounds like it captures the vibe of the era very well. Part of the vibe seems to be supported by a lot of rolled off highs, but this is contributing to the guitars being pushed into the background, so perhaps they could stand a bit more bite, but still retain the vibe?

I really like this.

Sounds great, I might bring the lead guitar out a bit but I wouldn't change anything else.
Thanks easlern. I'm going to try to do some detailed mixing on this wed. and I will bring up the guitar.
Fifties is definitely not my thing, but you've really pulled together some nice tones to fit that era! For 50s the hats are a bit bright, and I honestly think a completely mono mix might fit better...
There were a few performance issues from the bass (a bit ahead of the beat around 1:30) and drums (the break just before the solo it sounds like you weren't sure what to do on the drums and just didn't), but that also fits the "live" feel of 50s recordings. Your voice certainly fits the style. Couple of minor performance nits on the voice, too. But I doubt the majority of "normal" listeners (whatever that means) would even notice. Nice work! :)

Sorry for the political slant in this post. (Double spaces between all the sentences per the Opus/Bill platform)...
I'm no drummer by any stretch of the imagination....but I'm the only drummer I have now so I can't fire me until I find a replacement.
lol
Thanks for the listen and comments H.

It was terriffic good ol' rock! I liked it. A lot. Mix was nice imo, listened through cheap Sennheisers.
Thanks Music Box. Your Sennheisers beat the radio shack Realistic consumer grade cheap stereo speakers I mix on.
(actually these Realistic Optimus speakers aren't bad....especially at the $10 for the pair price)
That's terrific shit man. I love the energy of the vocals. That's how all vocals should be. I got to believe it when I hear it. And I believe it on this one :D
Thanks phil. I appreciate the listen and the kind words. I'm a fan of you stuff for the same reason.
Great vocals. Guitars can go way up (IMO), both rhythm and lead. Really like the overall vibe of the mix though. It sounds like it captures the vibe of the era very well. Part of the vibe seems to be supported by a lot of rolled off highs, but this is contributing to the guitars being pushed into the background, so perhaps they could stand a bit more bite, but still retain the vibe?

I really like this.
Thanks kindafishy.
Actually I didn't roll the highs off, I pretty much set the guitars to have a fatter and softer vintage tone coming out of the amp. I haven't really eq'd anything except the bass guitar and bass drum. I'm going to do some more tweaking on it this week. I appreciate you listening and commenting!

Yeah great job on the vocals. Tough to add drums after the fact. They do have that RnR vibe but I'd prefer to hear the snare cut through a bit more. Everything else sounded great to me. Nice job

Yeah great job on the vocals. Tough to add drums after the fact. They do have that RnR vibe but I'd prefer to hear the snare cut through a bit more. Everything else sounded great to me. Nice job
Thanks Hit. I appreciate the listen and comments!

I tried to incorporate some of y'alls suggestions on this remix. It may be better or it may not...i dunno my ears are shot

I tried to incorporate some of y'alls suggestions on this remix. It may be better or it may not...i dunno my ears are shot

Well, the bass guitar is kind of buried now. I rolled off too much 250K on the vocal and now it has a shrill piercing sound to it. I need to work on it a bit more with fresh ears

See, this is what I'm talkin' about.. The vocals, I mean. Such a small percent of home recordists are able to cut loose like this. But you do, and get great results. Very loose and confident.. really makes the song.

I actually wish this was a little longer, but I imagine it's the original JLL arrangement. Guitars sound good, authentic for the period. Some of the drum fills are a little stiff, but the energy of the song really carries it through. Great job.

I listened to the 'remix' in the first post, btw.

Back