Hi , New to the forum - heres one we just released

Silent

Hi, new to the forum - here's one we just released :)

We've been pushing out a track every five weeks or so for some months now, but have been cooking up music for years. We're trying to focus more on simplifying, and bringing the music closer to an organic sound, more so by using instruments and less programming. We're learning to use vocal textures instead of sonic synth layered stuff.

We've been struggling with our mixes a lot. Don't think it's lack off experience, because we hear the end mix, and think it's good one day, and hate it the next. For us, it's just not our 'thing'. We came across this forum Googling around for ideas to tighten up what we can, where we can. Our hopes are to find the right producer/engineer to work with what we're trying to do.

Just stopping in to say hi, and hopefully get some feedback and commentary from you all. Thanks in advance for taking the time...

SC

Last edited:
If it's "released" then there's no point commenting really.
Are you going to unrelease it and try again?

The harmony vocal is out of tune in many places. The instruments are drenched in too much reverb, making everything indistinct. Youtube is a not a great place to put your mixes for critiques because of the compression used.

The harmony vocal is out of tune in many places. The instruments are drenched in too much reverb, making everything indistinct. Youtube is a not a great place to put your mixes for critiques because of the compression used.

Do you mean file size compression; or do they add compression to the audio stream, like what radio stations do?

Do you mean file size compression; or do they add compression to the audio stream, like what radio stations do?

I don't know what they do, I assume its compression of the whole file because the audio comes out better if its an HD video compared to a standard def video.

It's not YT. I heard the version in the signature and got a similar feeling in indistinctness. The vocals are loud enough, but lack presence to me and the drums don't sound quite right either...sort of a putt, putt, putt type sound that doesn't sound real even if they are.

I get the feeling that you want that reverb in the sound--and I think it fits the style of music--but I'd seek something "cleaner" than what you're presently using. The present verb just isn't allowing your music to flow.

Well........look.........I am always trying to be positive in my observations about anyone's work...........but sometimes I wonder. I had a difficult time getting past the vocals and harmonies. So much so that it was hard to hear the rest of the work. There are pitch and harmony timing problems in the vocals all through the song. I guess I'm wondering how the band heard this finished product and........not to be sarcastic......didn't hear the vocals. Man....I hate putting it this way........but it's............well..........come on man.

thanks..we did try our best

It's not YT. I heard the version in the signature and got a similar feeling in indistinctness. The vocals are loud enough, but lack presence to me and the drums don't sound quite right either...sort of a putt, putt, putt type sound that doesn't sound real even if they are.

I get the feeling that you want that reverb in the sound--and I think it fits the style of music--but I'd seek something "cleaner" than what you're presently using. The present verb just isn't allowing your music to flow.

We do like the verb allot ..its in everything..a real b*tch to mix right..almost impossible..to our ears its sound close to right..but cant say thats gonna change..but mixing needs to be way better for sure..

Well........look.........I am always trying to be positive in my observations about anyone's work...........but sometimes I wonder. I had a difficult time getting past the vocals and harmonies. So much so that it was hard to hear the rest of the work. There are pitch and harmony timing problems in the vocals all through the song. I guess I'm wondering how the band heard this finished product and........not to be sarcastic......didn't hear the vocals. Man....I hate putting it this way........but it's............well..........come on man.

they vocal tuning sounds right to my ears..says allot about how good I am at mixing to what i hear..lol..thanks for your thoughts on it though..

The verb is tricky fix for sure...we got to get it right, from how we hear it to how it makes its way in the end mix is for sure a tricky thing..to be honest this is the firit time we ever had anyone comment about it..the out of tune singing and stuff..i guess that just how we sing , guess we suck that much in that aspect..but we cant stop , just gonna have to figure out what is is that's out of tune to our singing and try and fix that before it gets to tape..

appreciate all the great replies..something for sure to work at

It means that you just came here to get more clicks on your link. The fact that you haven't contributed to this community but joined just to post a link to something that's already "released" supports his conclusion.
hmm like were starving for attention? lol right ..
the forum has a title inviting to GET 'Feedback for your tracks..' and that's what we joined for...and were reading through the replies and responding right? and we provide a link to a track for 'feedback' and then its like...'click seeking? ' go figure

judging by the comments ..we're invested in learning about how our music sounds to people who take mixing to other levels then we do, and maybe even learn from people..or even make a friend or two that we could maybe pass the mixing aspect of our project to.

but for those who see this as click seeking..just don't click the evil link!! Never! har har
In just having been here 1 day have not had the chance to respond to an other parts of the forums. and in fact i don't think we can even qualify because we suck at our mixing..and even our singing sucks ..we found a good place to learn what we suck at ..so we can get better at it

well, bouldersoundguy, don't we have to start somewhere? i mean, yes, we would like y'all to listen to what we've done, but that's not the prime directive here...we're a small duo looking to make better music, and in so doing, are looking for people to comment on what we've done and give some advice, if they're able, which many people have done so far on this thread...seriously, if we came on here and said "well, we do this and that, and would love to have your opinion", wouldn't you ask for a link? what's the point of this if it isn't to get one person listening to another...and how does that happen without links??? in all actuality, we're set as far as traffic goes...many people seem to like what we do, and we really just want to get better, and, peer to peer, this place seems like a place that will give you advice, feedback, and help if needed...i don't think your judgment is warranted at all...if i'm taking this too far over the top, i apologize, but really, to just put us off as click seeking and than that's it? ok...

It means that you just came here to get more clicks on your link. The fact that you haven't contributed to this community but joined just to post a link to something that's already "released" supports his conclusion.

Back