Her Colours

Stuvenator

Hello!

It's been a while since I've recorded anything due to my lazy nature. I tried my best with this mix with the equipment I have, but I still think there are some issues. Could I have some advice with how my mix is in it's current state? It hasn't been mastered yet or anything.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachments

• Her Colours 1.mp3
    3.7 MB · Views: 21
Seems pretty solid.

The cajone has some nice crack and clarity on it.
Maybe the bass occupies more of the spectrum than it should. If you reduced it, the whole mix might end up feeling a little empty, so I don't know.

I listened to it through two different systems and one was too bassy and one wasn't bassy enough. It's time to invest in some studio monitors me thinks.

Maybe the bass occupies more of the spectrum than it should.

I agree. It really doesn't need to be that loud and present here. It's almost distracting, honestly. Really nice work here though, great vox especially. Guitars sound very nice. The cymbal after the solo can come up a little, though I know you prob meant to keep it way back...I just thought there's freq's lacking above 8khz or so. Those sparse cymbals really helped open things up, to me. I'd add a synth underneath it all, though I hear one, or something like an organ, on the R every once in awhile. I'd get funky with it and add some long delay to it, with some odd filter thing adding another cool beat to the song. That, the bass, and the cymbals would be the first orders of business if this were in front of me.

Good work man, really liked this.

Thanks for taking the time to listen! Yes that is an organ you hear, I'm going for an acoustic/americana kind of feel, I'm not sure how I could get a synth in there without it sounding out of place unless you had a specific type in mind?

The cymbals are a little boosted in the high end, but you are right, they could be brought up a bit more.

I'm going for an acoustic/americana kind of feel, I'm not sure how I could get a synth in there without it sounding out of place unless you had a specific type in mind?

Americana doesn't really come to mind with this, this is more of a pop-folk tune, to my ears. That's cool, bet I could sneak one in there though :)

I thought the harmonies sounded nice.

The bass sound didn't bug me, or at least not in the same way it did the other guys. I thought there was a low end frequency that was a little strong. It's probably between 70hz and 140hz.

The thing I didn't care for was the reverb. It sounded a little boxy. It's a little too noticeable to me.

edit - I thought the kick was a little too loud as well. If you cut that low end frequency, you ought to be able to then lower the kick volume.

Yeah I can agree with that. For some reason there is a nice balance of reverb when I'm working in my DAW but as soon as I save the file and listen to it on speakers the reverb is like "HELLO I'M HERE". Comments like yours are making me more and more convinced that I need studio monitors sooner rather than later. Thanks for your input, I will explore those frequencies while listening to them in different systems.

Her Colours mixed and mastered

So this is another attempt at doing the song. I did the things you guys mentioned and then done a little bit of mastering afterwards (as much as I know how to do). The fade out at the end I'm going to fix later because it's too fast. For a song of this genre, is it a bad thing to limit things too much?

Attachments

• Stephen McIntosh - Her Colours (Master).mp3
    3.7 MB · Views: 3
For a song of this genre, is it a bad thing to limit things too much?

Limiting anything "too much" probably isn't good no matter the genre. But, if all you're doing is turning the input up on the limiter plug-in up, then it isn't really limiting. In that sense, it's only acting as a volume knob. Once you get gain reduction, then you're limiting. How much GR are you getting? I think I'm hearing the bass, kick, and snare being compressed heavily here. The snare mostly. I still think the bass can come down a touch. Fade out is still much too short. Very good otherwise.

You should consider chiming in on other threads. This places only stays alive if everyone contributes. Good work man

Hey man, mix 1 sounds good. All you had to do was cut the bass on that one, otherwise the mix was really solid.
Mix 2 is a bit of a mess. The acoustic intro is a bit chimey, the guitar solo out of place and loud, and the vocal is really loud in mix2.
I preferred mix 1 by far. Can you go back to that one? Hopefully you saved a copy. Just reduce the bass on it and be done.

Back