Help clean up this Toad-like indie song

I had a listen and the overall mix seemed either bottom heavy or top shy, depending on how you look at it. I only say that because the mixer i was monitoring on has 3-band eq on the mains and dropping the lows by about 5db or lifting the highs by about the same it seemed quite listenable and opened up space wise, and i could define the top end and some separation of the instruments. The bass and kick drum still sounded a bit high in the mix and still a bit bottom heavy maybe, but a lot of that comes down to taste i guess. Seems to me you'd get a lot out of a few eq adjustments throughout the track. I know that's pretty vague and not much to go on, but you did say any criticism would be useful. Not really my favourite sort of thing, but i liked the song anyway.

Don't be afraid to pan the instruments/backups a bit and use a high pass. I would up the drums a bit as they just seem to be following the song and not directing it as much as it could. It doesn't need much tweaking. Also a good job on the singing and writing.

Anders and ido1957, thank you for the feedback. I think those are very useful suggestions. I'm a bit of wimp about panning and need to just jump off the fence on that one. The filters are also a good idea as I don't use those as much as I should. Combining those with the EQ ideas from Anders I think will really make the mix crisper. It means a lot to me that you both took the time to listen and improve the song. Thank you.

I liked the song. I thought the playing was pretty good.

I agree that the song is bottom heavy. The bass, for the most part, is pretty boomy and muddy. It does a couple of higher end runs here and there, and those sound clear. But when it's playing the lower end root notes, it's muddy.

I think overall you went a little heavy on effects. I didn't care for the chorus-y sound on the guitar. I think there are too many effects on the vocal.

The vocals have a lot of reverb and the level is low. It makes them a little difficult to hear. They're having trouble being heard above the guitars. The backing vocals are very tough to hear.

Little pop at 2:34.

I like the drum levels where they are. But I wouldn't be surprised if other people would like to hear a little more snare.

Bass up a dB or so. You asked.

I can make out the different parts clearly enough. You asked.

Hi. First post. :) I am no kind of recording expert but I'm a big TTWS fan so I had to check out your song. For a second there, somewhere in the middle, you are channeling Glen Phillips for sure. LOL

I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said but I will second the "too much effects" comment above. It sounds like you've got a good number of guitar tracks and I find that too many effects on multiple tracks makes for a muddy sound. It could be cleaner.

Overall I'm digging the vibe though.

Good song. I pretty much agree that it's too bottom heavy and the muddy. Good performances.

You guys are awesome for taking the time to listen to this and provide all this feedback - it really makes this endeavour worthwhile. I've taken on all the advice: removed most of the effects from vox, brought up backing vox, reduced effects on the electric guitar and dropped one of the electric tracks, used a high pass filter on all tracks except bass to clean up the sub 120 range and i think the song is much better for it. Here's the updated version: https://soundcloud.com/trimonious/toad-song-master-remix

---------- Update ----------

I didn't think there were any other TTWS fans in this forum... I think i've stolen about half their chord changes, bass movements, vocal hooks, on this track... i

Back