Help with bass translation

PlatinumAudio

Hey guys, this is not mixed - this is just at production stage (and the arrangement could change, plus I haven't done guitars or finished strings).

Mostly just looking for feedback on the bass guitar (feel free to chime in on other components if something stands out).

I've moved my studio to a new location and am in that stage of developing familiarity with the room and how things translate. Bass is always the hardest to get right on a new system.

Cheers!

Things that are sticking out to me are that the toms are too loud, as are a couple of crash cymbals. The kick has too much sub-bass and is a bit too dominant. Not sure how well balanced the spectrum is beyond that.

The bass is a little too bouncing ball for my tastes but works pretty well - the panning action that is going on distract from the rest and competes with the bass tone.

Last edited:
The bass strikes me as being pretty inconsistent.
Some of the lowest notes blend in well or disappear, but the higher runs stick out a lot.
The kit seemed pretty cool to me. For what you're doing hear, I don't mind the toms and snare being prominent.

Listen to some Jamiroquai for a decent bass guitar reference. :)

Thanks guys ... I hadn't ridden faders or anything by this point, just slapped a limiter on the bass to iron it out a little, but it definitely needs it. Good idea on Jamiroquai. Wish I could extract only the bass from one of their earlier songs and really take a close look.

As a side note, this isn't really a song ... it's just me producing for the purpose of mixing, really. No planning involved in the arrangement. I just allowed it to evolve. I wouldn't normally produce acid jazz that turns into pop :D I really need to learn how to control the NI Session Strings better.

The bass strikes me as being pretty inconsistent.
Some of the lowest notes blend in well or disappear, but the higher runs stick out a lot.
The kit seemed pretty cool to me. For what you're doing hear, I don't mind the toms and snare being prominent.

Listen to some Jamiroquai for a decent bass guitar reference. :)

I've been thinking about grabbing something like the Presonus Faderport, just to have a motorised/touch sensitive single fader to replace the mouse with for fader rides.

Any tips for beginners to mechanical automation? Do you guys use a "look-ahead" approach? Do you monitor RMS or other meters?

Cheers

Back