"Heavy" Final Mix? - Hoping You Will Give It One More Listen!

dewhitt

Dave DeWhitt
Hi All,

I received great feedback from you guys on the initial mixes of my trio's song "Heavy" a few weeks ago. Since then, I had my bass player finally come over and record the real BGVs (previously they were placeholders that I sang), and I also updated the mix a little bit to bring up the loudness levels and improve the overall balance. I think it's finished, but before I stick a fork in it, I was hoping you kind folks would listen one more time and offer any last minute feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/davedewhitt/heavy

Thanks!

Dave DeWhitt

Hi All,

I received great feedback from you guys on the initial mixes of my trio's song "Heavy" a few weeks ago. Since then, I had my bass player finally come over and record the real BGVs (previously they were placeholders that I sang), and I also updated the mix a little bit to bring up the loudness levels and improve the overall balance. I think it's finished, but before I stick a fork in it, I was hoping you kind folks would listen one more time and offer any last minute feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/davedewhitt/heavy

Thanks!

Dave DeWhitt

I didn't hear the first version but i don't really hear anything glaring on this on my end. Pretty decent job dude.

I think this sounds really good.

Not much to critique. The only things I can say is that in some spots the vocal could use a small boost to make sure it stays "on top" of the guitar. It gets slightly buried when the guitar is hammering away on power chords. There is also the slightest hint of cloudiness in the lead vocal.

Very minor points. Not much needed on this to my ear.

Thanks for the listen guys, and the second round of feedback! I think I'm going to move on with my life (finally!) and call this one finished :thumbs up:

Best,

Dave DeWhitt

Really cool song! I like it alot. I also like the mix and tones - sounds authentic instead of all the oversampled, EQed to hell, 10x tracked stuff of today.

Drums sound good - I would also try adding a little click to the kick if you want to go with the post 90's generation trend - or keep it as is if you like a classic feel (sounds better to me anyway).

I would try adding some 10-15s stereo-widening delay to the guitar or double tracking. By double tracking, I mean recording the same part twice and not just copying and adding a small delay. Again this if you want to go with the post 90's generation "artificial as hell" trend - or keep it as is if you like a classic feel. Again, sounds fine as it is. Van Halen panned the guitar and bass hard left and right in mono for god sake!

Other than that, I did not check, but I would make sure the mix is "loud" so it peaks a -0.1dB and is compressed. But if you had it properly mastered, this should have been done.

Rock on!!

Yeah, there were some things that crossed my mind, that I would have done different, but, hell, where'd we come to, if all would use the same modern technique?! I also thought, the guitars could be doubled, but WHY?! It sounds great the way it is!
All in All I really enjoyed listening to your song! The vocals are fantastic, and the guitars are brilliant! Great solo, great tune!

Thanks rayc, jonlint, and Fortenhell! It wasn't mastered yet, but I did try to get it as loud as I could without over-doing it too much. I really appreciate the nice comments, guys!

Best,

Dave DeWhitt

Did you listen to Robim Trower's Bridge of Sighs for some extra ideas - that's a cool trio.

Sounds pretty good to me. The vocals might be a little low in some parts, but I think that's a good thing. I like it when the vocals don't jump out.
Can't think of anything wrong, good job.

Back