Heavenly Wagon

Ashway

Long time no see. :)

Been listening to this while mixing for an hour or two, so I might be deaf. How bad is the mix, on a scale from 1-10?

UPDATED:

Last edited:
All the instruments sound pretty nice to me.

The vocals are way too loud, IMHO. And there are several pitchy spots here and there. Sounds as though you could clean them up with a few more takes. I applaud you for not using pitch correction, however! :)

Edit: Sorry, I forgot .... I give it a 7. :)

Thank you very much for the answer. I hope that's not; as bad as 7.. but as good as 7. :D

Anyway, I will try fixing the pitch and volume then. :)

Sounds like a cool song and good job composing it. I agree with vocals being pitchy. Also the song as a whole is lacking bottom end. I can hear the bass and kick, but its like they have gone through a high pass filter and all the lows rolled out. I would try to bring the music UP and the vocals DOWN too.

what is the instrument/effect in the intro? i like it a lot, i want to steal it! haha. i could do without the whistling, IMO. Vocals out of tune too much - unfortunate because you have a great sound to your voice. Particularly the word "space" rings nicely in the first chorus, but I'd keep the second note longer rather than coming down with it. THe final note you hit in the word is a bit off key. It could've ended on the previous note and sounded fine. could do with some arrangement reworking to make it a bit more familiar to listeners (just an idea). Great lyrics and i love the mix of electronic and live instruments - you pull it off nicely. I agree vocals could come down a bit - i want to hear the instruments as well, as there is a lot going on.

this is really one of my favorites i've ever heard on this forum. great tune. just a little work, IMO.

Sounds like a cool song and good job composing it. I agree with vocals being pitchy. Also the song as a whole is lacking bottom end. I can hear the bass and kick, but its like they have gone through a high pass filter and all the lows rolled out. I would try to bring the music UP and the vocals DOWN too.

Hi, and thanks!

Im not the greatest mixer but I've tried to get more bottom end in my mix now. Ive also adjusted the volume on the vocals. But they might be a bit too loud still? Please have a listen, I will post it in two seconds.

what is the instrument/effect in the intro? i like it a lot, i want to steal it! haha. i could do without the whistling, IMO. Vocals out of tune too much - unfortunate because you have a great sound to your voice. Particularly the word "space" rings nicely in the first chorus, but I'd keep the second note longer rather than coming down with it. THe final note you hit in the word is a bit off key. It could've ended on the previous note and sounded fine. could do with some arrangement reworking to make it a bit more familiar to listeners (just an idea). Great lyrics and i love the mix of electronic and live instruments - you pull it off nicely. I agree vocals could come down a bit - i want to hear the instruments as well, as there is a lot going on.

this is really one of my favorites i've ever heard on this forum. great tune. just a little work, IMO.

Thanks! I've tried to change the things you said. I will post it now. :)

what is the instrument/effect in the intro?

Its a combination of 3 sounds. It is echoboy (demo) on vocals making the strange effect. For the lead I use vacuum (free synth in pro tools) actually, sort of pipe sound (the preset is called something with pipe but Ive altered it a bit)

And the chord sound is a preset called looped piano (or something) in a demo synth called signal, by Output.

Hope that answers the question.

It sounds ok mix wise. The vocals on the verses are very wobbly and off key. You might want to record it all again, but practice gaining better control of your voice. Sometimes you're on it and sometimes you're not. Having several takes to swap out from will help you find better performed vocals to use.

It sounds ok mix wise. The vocals on the verses are very wobbly and off key. You might want to record it all again, but practice gaining better control of your voice. Sometimes you're on it and sometimes you're not. Having several takes to swap out from will help you find better performed vocals to use.

You are talking about the updated version without the whistling?

You are talking about the updated version without the whistling?

Yes, heavenly-wagon_3. Listen carefully to the first few lines, but maybe take a break from it for a week or something. There is an off key vibrato and coming in and out of it is also off key. Sometimes we listen to our songs so much they start sounding good to us. I do the same thing. After a while I go back, listen again and hate my voice LOL. It's satisfying when you really put the work in, come back at a later time and really enjoy it. Don't think I'm being harsh either. I don't even need anyone telling me when it sounds bad anymore. If I can't get something just right I delete it and try again after I've had enough time to ease the frustration.

Yes, heavenly-wagon_3. Listen carefully to the first few lines, but maybe take a break from it for a week or something. There is an off key vibrato and coming in and out of it is also off key. Sometimes we listen to our songs so much they start sounding good to us. I do the same thing. After a while I go back, listen again and hate my voice LOL. It's satisfying when you really put the work in, come back at a later time and really enjoy it. Don't think I'm being harsh either. I don't even need anyone telling me when it sounds bad anymore. If I can't get something just right I delete it and try again after I've had enough time to ease the frustration.

I will try to fix it. I really can't hear the problem so I guess I need to pick it up later then. :)

Thanks!

I will try to fix it. I really can't hear the problem so I guess I need to pick it up later then. :)

Thanks!

Yeah man LOL. I'll tell you an exact spot that sounds unfaltering. The fist sentence you say something like "a long time since I was UP a'boOoOove'.

Yeah man LOL. I'll tell you an exact spot that sounds unfaltering. The fist sentence you say something like "a long time since I was UP a'boOoOove'.

Sorry about the late reply!

When you pointed out the exact place I was able to hear it.. and other places as well. So yeah, that needs to be taken care of. Thanks!

Anyway, guys. Please share your thoughts on this. Any comment is welcome!

I think you have a nice singing voice. A pitchy notw or two. But a very powerful and resonant. I think you need to watch the harshness in it like the 2500hz - 3000hz range. The delay you had on it wasn't my thing, but it worked fairly well here.

I didn't like the static thing in the intro. Maybe if you used it along with a thinner "AM radio" like sound it would work better.

Watch some of that drum programming - a couple of those fills had the "machine gun" effect.

The bass had a nice warm sound.

Things started getting crowded in the chorus. Too much stuff trying to be the center of attention. I think the instruments should be trying to support the vocal, but they're overpowering it.

The mix had a nice fullness to it and it was a nice use of the whole stereo field.

I think you have a nice singing voice. A pitchy notw or two. But a very powerful and resonant. I think you need to watch the harshness in it like the 2500hz - 3000hz range. The delay you had on it wasn't my thing, but it worked fairly well here.

I didn't like the static thing in the intro. Maybe if you used it along with a thinner "AM radio" like sound it would work better.

Watch some of that drum programming - a couple of those fills had the "machine gun" effect.

The bass had a nice warm sound.

Things started getting crowded in the chorus. Too much stuff trying to be the center of attention. I think the instruments should be trying to support the vocal, but they're overpowering it.

The mix had a nice fullness to it and it was a nice use of the whole stereo field.

Hi TripleM! Thanks a bunch. Sorry about the late reply. I have been modifying stuff, like turning down the delay and drum-velocity. Can´t see that I have a lot going on in the 2500 - 3000hz range. Might be the microphone recording much in that area? But I hear what you are after. Sounds like the vocals are going through some filter? And the crowded chorus. I guess I will turn down something or even remove something. There are some vocals going on there that´s pitchy in the background. The el guitar may be too loud etc. The lead sound has that static sound you are questioning etc.. I will post the update after a while. Thanks again!

Back