"Heaven", a newer one that's a bit different

GONZO-X

"Heaven", a newer one that's a bit different

https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/heaven-from-the-new-bats-brew-album-stay

this song is one that i co-wrote with John R. Hazel, a wonderful collab that just kind of appeared out of the ether, sort of like the vibe of the song.

this one has some wonderful deep powerful synths, that i tried to mix in such a way as to not overpower everything, but still sound rich and deep IF you crank it thru a full range system.

lyric:

Heaven

as I lay me down
I see the stars
if I knew how big the universe was I could see
just how far the human soul can travel against time and space
then I’ll know what drives mankind to seek an everlasting life
eternity

just beyond my will to see

Stars, distant yet so clear, wrap me in my world

find.... all of the souls, I miss, and need
heaven sought and heaven gained
but when you’ve left, it stays the same
looking for an answer but it is gone.

Hey Gonzo. Now you tell me! If I'd known there was a newer version of Heaven, I would probably have made different life choices. ;)

lots of views, but no comments..
i figure i'll pull this one down very soon..... try something else.

Gonzo,

You clearly know what you're doing with recording and mixing better than most people who post in the clinic.
Yet, you post your own music and very rarely offer any advice to anyone else.

So, as much as I hate to agree with Robus, if you contribute to the clinic you'll get more out of it.

To be honest though, it seems like you're mostly hear to just promote your music rather than to actually get advice on the quality of the mix.

Gonzo,

You clearly know what you're doing with recording and mixing better than most people who post in the clinic.

So, as much as I hate to agree with Robus, if you contribute to the clinic you'll get more out of it.

To be honest though, it seems like you're mostly hear to just promote your music rather than to actually get advice on the quality of the mix.

This ^^^^

Gonzo,

sorry,
i wasn't aware robus had an opinion about it.
that's weird.

sorry,
i wasn't aware robus had an opinion about it.
that's weird.

You know you've heard all this before. I know I've told you the same and so have others in the past. You lament that no one's commenting on your already-finished-ripped-from-a-CD mixes and people remind you that you don't comment on anyone else's either. And when someone does offer a critique, you explain it away and make excuses. It's been this way literally for years in here, and you know this. If you just wanna promote, then go for it. No one's stopping you. You obviously believe that everyone should love your music, so promote it in the appropriate section. But this is why no one cares abut your songs in this section of the site.

i don't know, greg, i smell sour grapes or sumptin'.

Yeah, probably your own. When I posted songs I had no problem getting pages and pages and pages of feedback because I left other people feedback too. So yeah, you wondered, I informed. It's not the first time for either. What you do with that information that you actually already knew is totally up to you.

I listened to three Gonzo songs. One sounded like Massive Attack and was pretty cool. The next was kind of prog rock and just not my cup. The other blew my eardrums off before I got 5 seconds into it. I ripped the headphones off my head and yelled "UGH! fuck you, dude!" out loud, and then came into the thread and told him it was too loud. He dismissed me and laughed. So I promised I'd never listen to another Gonzo song. I'm scared to...need to protect the ears and might forget to turn the headphone preamp down to 1 before hitting play. In my case it had nothing to do with whether he commented on my tracks. I really don't like that mindset and will comment on peoples' tracks no matter what they do for mine, but only if I have something to constructive to offer and they don't have the limiter maxed out. Nothing makes me write off a poster's mixes like a maxed out limiter.

Gonzo, for a while there, you were commenting on others' songs and receiving more comments on your own. More recently you've stopped doing that. Others have begun to ignore your songs again. Is it surprising? If everyone did as you do, everyone would receive the same lack of response that you receive. Then there would be no reason for anyone to post songs here.

Fascinating composition, lots of layers and things happening in the background and foreground. Performances are top notch as always. You knew I was going to say the vocals could come up, and that some sort of chorus or refrain would give your listener more to latch on to. But I understand you've got your own vision that is different from mine. Mix wise, not much to criticize here. The rumbling lows on your synth part are on the verge of being too much, but I think manage to stay in bounds--just. That arpeggiated part on the bass later in the song is a bit boomy in my speakers and listening environment, but I'm assuming you've tested this on multiple systems already. Your stuff is quite unique. Your lead guitar stands out. You've the chops, the feel, and the melodic sense. In the home recording world, it's common to find one or two of those elements, but rarely all three. Speaking of myself, I think I play melodically and with feeling, but my chops are quite basic.

Back