Haven't recorded in a while

To me, the bass is a bit overpowering. It drowns out the guitar. I'd like to hear the snare cut through a bit more too.

..and several people here have mentioned that phasey/swirly soundcloud problem.

Last edited:
The guitars are pretty overpowering. They're a bit scratchy. They're covering the vocal.

The bass is pretty rumbly. To me it has too much low end.

A little pitchiness in the vocal in a couple of spots.

I like the guitars when that little riff kicks in. THey're still too overpowering tho.

Snare and kick sound pretty good. Way back in the mix. Mostly the cymbals sound good. One cymbal has a really cheap sound.

The guitars are pretty overpowering. They're a bit scratchy. They're covering the vocal.

The bass is pretty rumbly. To me it has too much low end.

A little pitchiness in the vocal in a couple of spots.

I like the guitars when that little riff kicks in. THey're still too overpowering tho.

Snare and kick sound pretty good. Way back in the mix. Mostly the cymbals sound good. One cymbal has a really cheap sound.

Thanks, yeah I have a lot of low end on that bass, I'll turn down the guitars a bit too.

I'm not sure, but Ive noticed soundcloud is a bit phasey lately[/url]

It's been that way for quite a while. Someone (I think it was Bubba) noticed that if you upload a wav file instead of an mp3 the phase problem is either reduced or goes away. For me, I just use Google drive when I want people to review my stuff. I think it's one of the better players.

Is this a practice room recording, or is that just an effect at the start?

The drums sound a touch distant relative to everything else. I'd recommend moving everything else away tho (more verb; less volume). The drum tone is pretty good.

Some of the "S"s are a bit harsh.

Really, I'm just picking nits tho. This is pretty good.

Good to see new stuff from you!

The drum tone is pretty good.

The bass is too rumbly, as been said, hi-pass it around 80hz, experiment.

The guitars are somewhat scratchy at times, sounds like they may be clipping at times as well. They also need some harsh mids removed, sweep around with a high, narrow Q and find the harsh spots and take a few db's out. Also make sure they're also hi-passed, around 100...

Overall, it sounds over-limited. Turn the limiter(s) off when doing these adjustments. Make sure your average RMS levels are no higher than -8 to -10, sounds like it's hotter than that. Check your individual channel compressors too, make sure none are clipping.

Vocal sounded pretty good, I wouldn't mess with them at all yet until you get the rest sorted out, then see how they fit. It's not too far off, there's a good tune in there, it just needs a little refining.

The drum tone is pretty good.

The bass is too rumbly, as been said, hi-pass it around 80hz, experiment.

The guitars are somewhat scratchy at times, sounds like they may be clipping at times as well. They also need some harsh mids removed, sweep around with a high, narrow Q and find the harsh spots and take a few db's out. Also make sure they're also hi-passed, around 100...

Overall, it sounds over-limited. Turn the limiter(s) off when doing these adjustments. Make sure your average RMS levels are no higher than -8 to -10, sounds like it's hotter than that. Check your individual channel compressors too, make sure none are clipping.

Vocal sounded pretty good, I wouldn't mess with them at all yet until you get the rest sorted out, then see how they fit. It's not too far off, there's a good tune in there, it just needs a little refining.

Thanks Johnny, did a remix
- pulled down the guitars and compression
-pulled down the mastering limiter
- removed 50-80 hz and turned down the the bass a bit

Last edited:
Not sure if I'm listening to the original mix (in first post). Bass is loud (except I think it works well in the lead part around 3:30 - 3:40 and the one 5:00 range) and drums could come up a bit in volume - or lower the guitars.

The soundcloud thing is well known - only upload WAVs, never MP3s.

Back