Havana

Dr.SpringReverb

Dieser Hund

There are some sloppy moments/timing fuckups, i know. It just is what it is.
Recorded on a Tascam 424 cassette 4-track. All real instruments, no digital anything

Nice.

Not that I didn't like it, it was nice. I have many songs like this. They mean much more to me than they would anyone else. If I recorded this, and made a tape of my favorite recordings this would be on it.

There's something to be said for analog.

Was this recorded to tape? I can hear hiss in the quieter spots. Just curious.

The main guitar riff was a little rumbly. But I think with some low end rolled off, it would sound very cool.

The mix overall was a little "pointy" sounding. The combination of cymbals/other percussion/synths gave it an overly-crisp sound.

But it was a cool song and had cool ambiance.

Edit: bass is rumbly too.

Nice.

Not that I didn't like it, it was nice. I have many songs like this. They mean much more to me than they would anyone else. If I recorded this, and made a tape of my favorite recordings this would be on it.

There's something to be said for analog.

Thanks!

It was pleasant.

Thank you!

Was this recorded to tape? I can hear hiss in the quieter spots. Just curious.

The main guitar riff was a little rumbly. But I think with some low end rolled off, it would sound very cool.

The mix overall was a little "pointy" sounding. The combination of cymbals/other percussion/synths gave it an overly-crisp sound.

But it was a cool song and had cool ambiance.

Edit: bass is rumbly too.

Thanks,
yeah, it was recorded to tape, cassette tape. :e
The Mix is basically faders up, panning and adding spring reverb. But yeah, the bass frequencys are a little rumbly. I think part of it is my room. It's a small room and surely there are some unpleasant frequency build ups. I only have low-shelf at 100hz or so on the tascam 4-track and the bass and drums are on the same track; all percussion and the acoustic guitar are also on one shared track, so not too much i can do about it. I just try to get everything to sound like i want it to in the tracking stage with mic choice and mic position etc., so i don't really use any EQ or other processing other than some slight high-end boost on the way in to compensate for the high-end lost when bouncing on tape etc.; but it's not always easy to foresee how everything will fit together when it's done :e
The keyboard instrument is this one: https://reverb.com/p/hohner-pianet-t-1977
Passive electric piano, almost like a guitar

Analog and reverb is a winning combination.
I think so too. Thank you.

Last edited:
I do think the clank sound is a bit loud, but love this overall. The instruments sound very cool and everything fits together really well. I didn't even really notice any screw-ups in timing like you had said. It paints a picture / tells a story, like it would be part of a soundtrack. I listen to soundtracks (like OSTs from movies) all the time, so maybe that's what makes me want to hear 'the next song'

I do think the clank sound is a bit loud, but love this overall. The instruments sound very cool and everything fits together really well. I didn't even really notice any screw-ups in timing like you had said. It paints a picture / tells a story, like it would be part of a soundtrack. I listen to soundtracks (like OSTs from movies) all the time, so maybe that's what makes me want to hear 'the next song'

Thanks!
Balancing instruments is hard the way i work; i record a bongo part, then i bounce the bongo part to another track while playing the clank sound ... and hoping the balance will work; if not, i have to redo the clank sound take. I live in the recording stone-age. :e
Glad that it paints a picture, this is my goal most of the times
I love some old soundtrack stuff, especially Henry Mancinis work.

I love it actually. I think it sounds pretty creative, clever and has a uniqueness to it. I was a little thrown off at first with the bass being to the right but it grew on me. Good job

Sounds very cool. The clanking sound seems to get louder as the tune progresses. On headphones it got kind of intrusive in the left ear towards the end. Very nice overall tones though and the clarity is pretty good given how you have to bounce stuff around. Some individual sounds could use some low pass but the tune itself is great. Reminds me of the 3 Amigos. Love it

Sounds very cool. The clanking sound seems to get louder as the tune progresses. On headphones it got kind of intrusive in the left ear towards the end. Very nice overall tones though and the clarity is pretty good given how you have to bounce stuff around. Some individual sounds could use some low pass but the tune itself is great. Reminds me of the 3 Amigos. Love it

Thank you
I bounced the percussion & acoustic guitar track back and forth various times, like that: acoustic guitar -> open track + bongos -> open track + shakersound (actually drum brushes on a pizza box) -> open track + clank sound (i guess it's really too loud) :e I somehow got lucky that the sound didn't suffer too much and the hissing is pretty low

Good track! Aside from maybe a bit of balance tweaking needed it sounds really good, not much evidence that you bounced tracks. I think the person who said it sounds like something from a soundtrack was right - this would be an excellent background piece for a film. Very good.

Good track! Aside from maybe a bit of balance tweaking needed it sounds really good, not much evidence that you bounced tracks. I think the person who said it sounds like something from a soundtrack was right - this would be an excellent background piece for a film. Very good.

Thanks!
I get the soundtrack comment quite a lot

Back