Hate, 1st venture into Cubase

Really like the vocals...lots of energy. Cool riff.

I do think the guitars have too much saturation and distortion. They also sit too far back compared to everything else. Drums and vocals are in your face, guitars are in the background.

+1 w/ Bruthish's comments. Vocals sound really good to me...probably the best part of the mix IMO. Also, either the guitars are wanting to play faster, or the drums are not keeping up... you've got some timing issues there that make it difficult to get into what's going on. The distortion works well on the solo however - really well. That sounded great.

Really like the vocals...lots of energy. Cool riff.

I do think the guitars have too much saturation and distortion. They also sit too far back compared to everything else. Drums and vocals are in your face, guitars are in the background.

Thanks for the comments. points taken. I will remix it. :thumbs up:

On the guitars, are they really (or totally) mid-scooped? Is there anything else you can do to push them to be more prominant? As previous people have said they could also do with being louder.

I agree with the other comments. Good singing and good tight guitar playing. One guitar double tracking gak right at the beginning. Another couple of them at 1:52 and 1:53.

The guitar tone is where the attention is needed. There is a whole ton of distortion, which is hurting. There is no chug. A hard-ass tune like this needs guitars that chug. That is as much playing style as it is guitar/amp tone.

The lead guitar also has a bit too much gain dialed in.

edit.... The drums didn't sound too bad to me. Cymbals were nice and clear, and the snare sounded pretty powerful.

Yeah man, the guitars are what I would focus on. The song cries out for 'beefy' guitar tone.

Thanks everyone! I will work on the guitars. Im also gonna retrack the drums cause I really jacked it up. I can do better. the tempo is 85 BPM which is really kicking my ass. feedback is much appreciated! :D

The drums and vocal seem really dry to me, just down to preference though I think. Something seems a little "squeezed" about the guitars, I think I'm hearing the same thing as others (maybe less compression, less distortion.)

I remixed the guitars and vocal. Please let me know what you think. Thanks:thumbs up:

Attachments

• Hate Mix 2.mp3
    3.8 MB · Views: 3
Loved the song, loved the arrangment, loved the vocalist, loved the lyrics ... didn't like the snare.

That's the only thing I can hear wrong with the mix, there's a high-mid missing in that snare to give it the "thwack" it needs. At the bare minimum that snare needs to come forward in the mix.

IMO, of course!

Timbo

PS Argh I was listening to the mix at the top of the post.

Loved the song, loved the arrangment, loved the vocalist, loved the lyrics ... didn't like the snare.

That's the only thing I can hear wrong with the mix, there's a high-mid missing in that snare to give it the "thwack" it needs. At the bare minimum that snare needs to come forward in the mix.

IMO, of course!

Timbo

PS Argh I was listening to the mix at the top of the post.

Thanks man, I will tune the snare up half a notch. overall I was not happy with the whole drum take. I can play it better, I plan on retracking the drums. I was pissed because I could not figure out the monitor cue buss so I just threw some shit down. it sucked!:D

OK man, I hear the changes you made, but I don't think they did much good in this current mix. Drums lost energy, guitars sound louder, but not better, and the delay on the vocals is more distracting than before.

Personally, if it were my song, I would take everything out except drums. Mix those first. Get the tones on the kick and snare perfect and cymbals where they need to be in the stereo field. Bring in bass. Make it distinct but not too much boom. Then RETRACK your guitars with less distortion and no reverb or any other effects. Just straight overdriven guitar. What you have now sounds like a distortion pedal cranked to the max. Less distortion=more presence and clarity. If your mic'ing a cabinet, play around with mic placement to get optimal tone...usually halfway between edge and center cone. On the vocals, that delay is making it sound Karaoke-ish and from the 80's(not necessarily a bad thing).

I really like this song and it has potential...just need to get the parts mixed/recorded better. But thats just my $.02.

OK man, I hear the changes you made, but I don't think they did much good in this current mix. Drums lost energy, guitars sound louder, but not better, and the delay on the vocals is more distracting than before.

Personally, if it were my song, I would take everything out except drums. Mix those first. Get the tones on the kick and snare perfect and cymbals where they need to be in the stereo field. Bring in bass. Make it distinct but not too much boom. Then RETRACK your guitars with less distortion and no reverb or any other effects. Just straight overdriven guitar. What you have now sounds like a distortion pedal cranked to the max. Less distortion=more presence and clarity. If your mic'ing a cabinet, play around with mic placement to get optimal tone...usually halfway between edge and center cone. On the vocals, that delay is making it sound Karaoke-ish and from the 80's(not necessarily a bad thing).

I really like this song and it has potential...just need to get the parts mixed/recorded better. But thats just my $.02.

My two cents are on the same page here also.

Thank you sir for the comments. I will retrack the guitars with a cleaner sound, I was planning on retracking the drums anyway. The guitar and bass are ran direct through some pedal board thing, sorry thats all I know about it:D my fault on the delay, just got a new plugin and was having a fit to use it. :facepalm: Thanks for the listen:thumbs up:

Thanks Jimmy! cool thing about screwing things up is I get to learn more ways to do it! screw it up I mean....but it is fun.:spank:

Back