Hardcore mixing

Nathan1984

So here is my most recent mix, I have come leaps and bounds here in the last week or two. Learned a lot of new things, and I think it is paying off. I would love to get some critique on this mix, I use these stems for mix practice a lot. I reamped the guitars with my 5150 into a mesa traditional 4x12 boosted with a bbe green screamer, the bass I reamped into my Sansamp RBI, I did have to use some sample re-enforcement on the kick, transient shapers weren't cutting it for what I like lol, but the drums are 100 percent real besides that. How does this ditty sound to you guys!!!

On my work buds, I'm having trouble hearing the kick and the guitars seem just a touch loud... not "too loud", just a tiny bit. It makes hearing the kit difficult at times.

Aside from arrangement and the pieces themselves, what changes do you have between R and L guitars? EQ differences, different mics, different amp settings? Or are they the same in those regards.

nice work...i like hearing this stuff in here.

Thanks, I will take note. As for guitars, I eq each guitar separately to blend in with the rest of the band, then together in context so I can hear how they mess with each other and the whole project. I think they sound freaking huge lol. Same amp settings, reamped through my 5150/mesa cab setup with a trusty sm57, ran into my Apollo using the Neve 1073 unison preamp.

Very good metal playing. I agree the guitars were a bit loud. Kick was a bit loud and the bass was a bit soft. Bass could use a little warmth - like more energy in the 500hz range.

Crunch guitar sound was pretty good. A bit too much gain for my personal taste. But good for the genre.

Vocals and drums are good for me - levels are right where I would put them.
Guitars nicely fill the background, bass is ok too. Mix is sufficiently punching and loud.
The only thing that hit me when it first started was it sounded like reverb on the entire mix which was a little too apparent. I haven't read any other posts (so I can get objective) so not sure what your mix bus is like.
Good playing - love the pinch harmonics. :D

Back