Hard Rock: Cubase, Waves, Izotope, Presonus Firestudio

Beaverbee

Hey guys,
Its been a while since Ive posted here... or anywhere for that matter, but belive me all Ive been doing is reading :) I read the forums every day and search and search and search. Im hoping that I have achieved a higher level of understanding the mix... I would really like to hear some feedback on a song or two. I will have my soundcloud posts up soon, but for now if it's ok Ill just post my reverb page. I am looking for ways to make my mixing skills better so please be blunt and honest! These wer all recorded with low grade mics (digital reference) and using a Presonus Firestudio, Cubase 6, mostly just izotope settings for the guitars, waves for the vocals, drums and bass and I did run the mix through Izotope again to end up with a "master"

Tempus Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos

Listened to Heart of Sin.... for a mix that's so kick drum heavy, I thought the bass could come up a bit - having trouble distinguishing it, but I'm on small 'phones so it could be that. Second song sounded more balanced, mix-wise.

Good stuff.

Thank you for the input. Im trying to get to where I can post some soundcloud clips here so i can just have people listen without going to an external site. Im getting some new HS50's tomorrow as well so hopefelly they will help with the mix.

Listened to Heart of Sin. Cool energy. Good guitar sound.

The kick is really loud. It's got a real clicky attack to it. I think that's appropriate for the genre, but it might be overdone just a bit.

Vocals are buried in the guitars much of the time.

Bass seems to be sitting right.

Listened to Heart of Sin. Cool energy. Good guitar sound.

The kick is really loud. It's got a real clicky attack to it. I think that's appropriate for the genre, but it might be overdone just a bit.

Vocals are buried in the guitars much of the time.

Bass seems to be sitting right.

Thank you for listening, I know the kick and in my opinion the snare is a bit high.... I was trying a different approach than the rest of the songs. i appreciate the guitar sounds comment, they are both Egnater Vengeance heads with (1) Marshall ModeFour cab and (1) 1960B cab. I used a BLUE Encore 100 mic to mic the 1960B and a pretty crappy Digital Reference (sm57 knockoff) to record the ModeFour. I will have a new mix up soon with some WAY better gear.... but at the time this is all I had available lol

does anyone know how to post a soundcloud song so I don't have to send you guys to the reverb page?

and in my opinion the snare is a bit high....
does anyone know how to post a soundcloud song so I don't have to send you guys to the reverb page?

Funny - I had typed up: "the snare is a little too loud as well" or something. Then I took it out because I changed my mind.

There are soundcloud tags you can use. Put your song's soundcloud links inside [s@undcloud]...[/s@undcloud] tags. (@'s are put in so it doesn't try to create a soundcloud link).

Funny - I had typed up: "the snare is a little too loud as well" or something. Then I took it out because I changed my mind.

There are soundcloud tags you can use. Put your song's soundcloud links inside [s@undcloud]...[/s@undcloud] tags. (@'s are put in so it doesn't try to create a soundcloud link).

Awesome man :) I was indeed going for that clicky kick drum sound. High compression and I boosted some high eq on it even :) And thank you for the soundcloud tag clue. I will post my new mixes that way, hopefully yield some more input on the songs. I appreciate it!

Back