a halloween treat for all you trickers

There's so much to like about this track. It's unusual, interesting, and with a great and varied sonic landscape.

this is a brand new version.......
the very first version, i had on a VS Planet records compilation.....
this is the best version to date, with new vox, new rhythm guitars, new drums, new acoustics, it's got a lot of cool mix elements going on, as well as some cool ambient stuff and some kick ass performances.
still on the fence about the final mix, but it's real close.

cakewalkgg
appreciate the comments ....

i've been mixing those damn vox for so long.....LOL
that i just hear them too well, i guess..
i like where they sit now,
ESPECIALLY when listening in the cans....
they make you listen...... deeper....
which is the intent.
i mean, i want to draw a listener in deeper,
so the vox is more spacy, just another part of the music.
i don't know, maybe i'm off base with that.

I like you're thinking in trying to draw the listener in. But I also think the vocal needs to be brought up. Not too much, though. Otherwise, great stuff!

Bill L

Man this board sports some serious talent! Amazing. I would bring out the vox way, way more though. Especially since they're so bad-ass.

There's so much to like about this track. It's unusual, interesting, and with a great and varied sonic landscape.

thanks zzed..... i kinda pulled out the stops on this one.....
but it seemed to need it.
the story is pretty creepy,
it needed that feel to the 'soundtrack' behind the story

glad you dig it!

---------- Update ----------

And, it it is trippy cool!

hehe,
i mighta been tripping a little bit when i wrote it......

I like you're thinking in trying to draw the listener in. But I also think the vocal needs to be brought up. Not too much, though. Otherwise, great stuff!

Bill L

thanks for the input, bill...........

so last night, i did a NEW mix, and DID bring up the vox as you suggested.....

i'll post an update soon.

Great job. Vocals are more accessible without overpowering the instruments. I really love the breakdown around the 1:50 mark. Kind of reminds me of Dogs from Pink Floyd's Animals.

Bill L

Man this board sports some serious talent! Amazing. I would bring out the vox way, way more though. Especially since they're so bad-ass.

mystic,
thanks for listening!
and yes, there's a lot of good stuff cranking out on this site...

i remixed as you said,
so if you are interested, give the new mix a test......
i think it's dialed in now.

love it! the new version is the better mix, perfect for halloween
thanks btyre....
i'm still on the fence with the perfect vocal volume mix, i kinda think this one is a bit too hot..
but in some places it sits perfect,
i guess i could polish a turd for 10 years!!

thanks btyre....
i'm still on the fence with the perfect vocal volume mix, i kinda think this one is a bit too hot..
but in some places it sits perfect,
i guess i could polish a turd for 10 years!!

ha that's the problem with mixing, maybe the too hot vocal sound is closer to where the 'norm' is, be careful though it can drive you crazy, you don't want to end up like Brian Wilson lol maybe try more compression or more automation for just the quiet/loud bits? :D

Great job. Vocals are more accessible without overpowering the instruments. I really love the breakdown around the 1:50 mark. Kind of reminds me of Dogs from Pink Floyd's Animals.

Bill L

hey bill,
thanks for listening back.

and yea, floyd's "dogs" was definitely a touchstone for the idea of that section, cool you hear it that way....

---------- Update ----------

ha that's the problem with mixing, maybe the too hot vocal sound is closer to where the 'norm' is, be careful though it can drive you crazy, you don't want to end up like Brian Wilson lol maybe try more compression or more automation for just the quiet/loud bits? :D

heheh
yea, i think it'd probably be more fun watching the grass grow!
:)

The later mix was far, far better. I still can't hear the story via the vocals, but the musical performances were great :D. What's the story with this? Is it a "real" band, or built up in the studio?

By the way, vocals of that quality SHOULD be high in the mix. It's not my genre of music at all, but you can tell good stuff whatever style it's in. :)

Watched the HD version, soiled my pants. I have to say, that has big hair all over it.

FYI, video version seemed the volume was little low (I know, I turned it up, just sayin')

Good playing and recording, all sounded good to me.

Back