"The Gravity of Us" - does my voice work or should I get someone else to sing?

I think your voice is very nice. It works well on a song like this.

Things have that "recorded at home in my bedroom" sound. It's especially evident on the guitar. The problem with the vocal is getting covered up with the big-ish reverb you have on it.

The drum pattern needs addressing. That snare hit that jumps the beat doesn't work.

It's a nice song and you sing it well.

Your voice works. I think your compression is messing things up here. It seems like the bass guitar is kicking everything out when it hits the low notes.

Thanks for your time and feedback, everyone. Looks like the mix is like a Degobah swamp. I'll do some surgery on it. I really appreciate your time and ears.

When I started recording and mixing more I picked up the Mixing Engineer's Handbook... Later also picked up the Recording Engineer's Handbook when I started tracking live amps and drums. Both good reads and have a lot of information and some really good stories in there. There is a lot of information online as well, but 12 or so years ago it was nice having a book I could read.

Those are good recommendations. I'll get to studying. I've taken the reverb off the voice and fixed the drum late snare. I'll clean up the rest this week. Thank you once again for your help.

I'm picky about voice tone/timbre...and no issues there.

Back