Got writers block on a beat I'm working on, any suggestions for improvement?

dude7691

Hey guys, hope you're all doing well. I'm currently working on a beat for my EP and am wondering how to expand on what I've got already, primarily with the high end of the piece. I've tried using chords and they sound too invasive, I think because the flute is rather big and therefore chords add too much to those to balance it properly. I'm trying to go for a chill vibe but also something that goes hard. I used a flute that I made and made it quite smooth, increased the attack quite a bit and cut out some of the frequencies. I'm happy enough with the drums, and I added a lot of misc sound effects (not finished EQ'ing or placing 100% yet) to create some atmosphere. Just wanna get your guys take on this, does this beat feel empty to you and in need of some more filling/counter melodies? I varied the melody a lot to keep the beat interesting and utilised different octaves to differentiate between verses and hooks. You guys are the experts so I'd very much appreciate your feedback :)

Testing Beat by Donald Thomas | Free Listening on SoundCloud

P.S. Again, not my main soundcloud as I can't post private links.

Thank you, yeah I was thinking it might be slightly too loud, but my headphones are pretty rubbish so I wasn't too sure. Definitely, I'll keep experimenting until I find something that fills the gap. Thank you for your feedback!

Yeah I thought so, it's just tricky to master sub 35 Hz because my headphones just rattle at those frequencies and my Rokit 8's don't go below 35Hz, so I appreciate your feedback on that. Might be worth getting a sub purely so I can hear those frequencies, or at least a better pair of headphones as I do have neighbours. Very valuable info to have, thank you Thier.

---------- Update ----------

Thank you for your feedback Triple! :)

What really helps me to monitor the lowest frequencies in my mixes is the sub in my car. I have a decent sound system in the car, nothing too crazy but all aftermarket. To me it helps more than the JBL sub I got in my studio.

I also have a boombox in the back of my car, but sadly the frequency response is only down to 50Hz or so, so it's no better for sub frequencies than my monitors, plus it distorts like hell at max volume. Just gonna grab a pair of decent headphones I think. I have neighbours and they'll kill me if I'm messing with 20Hz sounds xD

Edit: Ordered a pair of Audio Technica ath-m50x's, so no excuses now (as long as the bass response is adequate) :D

Last edited:
. I'm trying to go for a chill vibe but also something that goes hard.

Isn't that like an Easy-listening metal song? :D

Is this meant to be an instrumental beat or will someone rap and/or sing over it?

If the latter, what's missing is probably some vocal arrangement. I would also recommend taking the flute down a touch when the vox come in. It's probably going to draw too much attention.

Hi Steve,

Yes pretty much I guess :D But the genre is hip hop so I have to stay within the realms of my genre (unless I wanna cross genres but I don't for the time being xD).

It's a song that would ideally be rapped over, but it's being published just as a beat for free use by anyone. Yeah I get you, thank you for your feedback :) It's all very much appreciated and helps me learn a lot.

Back