Going back to the beginning

Cool. I think this sounds really nice. The guitar is captured better than on your other track I heard.

As far as boomyness, I would only offer that a solo guitar piece probably should retain more fullness than a solo acoustic guitar track that is to be part of a larger mix. There might still be a little too much bottom end here despite that? Not sure.

Also, I would recommend against copying and panning, but instead either just keep it mono and pan to taste or play a second track and pan apart. There's all kinds of things to consider there and I guess a bunch of folks have already covered that for you - just my $.02.

The piece itself is nice example of sort of early americana/folk standards. I thought at first it was "I've Been All Around This World" which the grateful dead often covered. It's cool how you can maintain a simple bass line on the bottom strings while picking out a melody on the higher ones. Although I am able to do lots of stuff on guitar I'm happy with, I've never been coordinated enough to be able to play this type of music effectively - so, well done!

The piece itself is nice example of sort of early americana/folk standards. I thought at first it was "I've Been All Around This World" which the grateful dead often covered. It's cool how you can maintain a simple bass line on the bottom strings while picking out a melody on the higher ones. Although I am able to do lots of stuff on guitar I'm happy with, I've never been coordinated enough to be able to play this type of music effectively - so, well done!

Cheers! I didn't know Grateful Dead's 'I've Been All around this World', just had a listen, real nice. I was listening to a lot of Piedmont Blues (Etta Baker) when I came up with this. She does this style better than anyone I know.

Actually, I think it was "Oh, Babe it ain't no Lie" (Elizabeth Cotton and/or Grateful Dead) I was thinking of...check that one out too. Similar style. Not that there aren't tons of examples out there, but the dead's versions of those old timey standards are the ones I'm most familiar with.

-- Just checking out Etta now. I've seen and heard her before - excellent!

I think her sound is very much what the dead are going for with those tracks I mentioned.

Actually, I think it was "Oh, Babe it ain't no Lie" I was thinking of...check that one out too. Similar style. Not that there aren't tons of examples out there, but the dead's versions of those old timey standards are the ones I'm most familiar with.

-- Just checking out Etta now. I've seen and heard her before - excellent!

I think her sound is very much what the dead are going for with those tracks I mentioned.

Cripes, you're a man after my own heart. Like you say - Elizabeth Cotton my 2nd guitar heroin. Left handed, but plays guitar upside down, totally kicks arse.

Back