Gimme All Your Lovin cover, thoughts???

comatosed

Hi, guys and gals. Looking for a bit of feedback on a mix if you don't mind please. It's my bands version of Gimme All Your Lovin' by ZZ Top.

Everything was recorded separately then brought together at mix down, it's taken some doing to get it this far. Let me know what you think!

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• Try This!(2).mp3
    8.8 MB · Views: 20
Not bad. I think the bass is too prominent at the expense of the rhythm guitar. Some of the transitions are a bit clunky. And give those backing vocals a crack!

I think the performances could be a little tighter, especially for ZZ. From what I remember about them, they're a particularly tight group. Bass EQ could use more fullness, in my opinion. And the vocal gets a little buried here and there.

Something is up with the low end. The kick sounds boomy, bass seems lacking. The guitars sound kinda hollow (is there a lot of reverb on them? Sounds odd). Overall this has a "bar band" feel...like it literally sounds like a live recording of a bar band. I guess that's cool it sounds live.

Muddy and the vocal is buried. Bass is too loud, floor tom is too loud. Start over from the ground up. Get the bass, drums and vocal levels right, then add the guitars.

One thing I noticed quickly was the playing style of the bass and rhythm guitar was kind of "constant." The wasn't much definition between notes on the bass and chugs on the guitar. They were almost drone instruments. The vocal is a bit buried (as Robus mentioned), but additionally I think it's getting trampled a bit by the playing style.

The lead/riff guitar is getting buried too.

There is a ton of low end in the mix. I think a lot of it is from the relentlessness of the bass part. It sounds like it has a bit too much low end too.

Back