Getting there... metal guitar recording

PN98

Hello, It's been a while since my last post here. Currently i'm trying to get my guitars sound the same as in the Victor Ohlsson's Action Packed and Ready series songs. They still sound a bit weak and small right? I could post pictures of my eq settings if it is any help. This is my setup: Sm57 capturing a Blackstar HT5 combo, and the mic is placed about 15cm(6inches)away and it is pointing slightly off center of the amp. I have Tascam us1800 as my interface. I recorded 4 tracks and the two pairs have different eq. Little bit reverb added.

I have been trying to mix the guitars with drums and bass but it seems like the guitar sound is the problem here.

Here's the link to my sound test:

Victor Ohlsson - Action Packed And Ready 3 Guitar Sound Test 2 by Instrumental metal | Free Listening on SoundCloud

This is the link to the original track. You can choose only the guitar track by choosing the "instrument stem" on right hand side of the player. It's Action packed and ready 3

The Epidemic Sound Player

Thanks

I really like your version. Nothing wrong with it... it's a little clearer than the original one.

The one of Victor Ohlsson sounds less treble more bass toned...
Yours is like it's more live ... reverb?

Yeah, I used some reverb. It kinda makes it sound bigger and less clear which is good in metal usually. Maybe I did too much EQ:ing and it killed the sound so it seems kinda weak? I tried to find the problem frequencies and cut little bit from many places. But I'd really like it to grunt more:)

I liked the reference track better than yours. Yours was not bad by any stretch. But it had a fair amount of mud and low end dialed in. I'd try to lower the bass level. I'd EQ a fair amount out of the guitar somewhere between 300hz and 330hz. And maybe roll off a few db from the low end - like below 120hz. I'd then give the guitar a little boost in the 800hz - 120hz range. See what that sounds like. Or rather hear what that sounds like.

Back