General Mixing Question - Your Suggestions To Become Excellent

rickidoo

I got sonar x1 a few months ago, and I have been experimenting, trying to learn how to produce professional sounding mixes. Forums like this certainly help, and there are helpful videos on you tube.

But my question is this - do you have book(s), video(s) or guru(s) you think provide exceptional instruction to how to "master" audio mixing for music?

I am NOT asking about "how to use Sonar X1" or any other program, specifically. Rather, tips, techniques and theory that transcend the particular digital audio program. If you are good at mixing, has anyone or anything beyond your personal persistence, practice and experimentation helped to make you as good as you are?

If so, maybe that can help me, and others, become better as well.

Rick
A musical hobbyist

I have been watching videos by Graham Cochrane on youtube. Not sure how legit he is but he seems straightforward and tries to keep things simple. I am kind of in the same boat.. trying to get a good solid approach to mixing / mastering / etc.... I think there are a ton of good ones out there. I say find one you like, and run with it. You can spend days, weeks, months trying to learn from 50 different sites, authors, etc.. but what you are not doing is actually recording! Graham makes observations like these and that is what I like about him. So he doesn't just drivel on about techniques.. he personalizes it some. So pick somebody, anybody, as long as they are somewhat competent, will get you going in the right direction. =) Good luck!

Back