Gear Jamming Girl

queepy

aka Variaxman
Have started a new thing with some guys ....trying to play our own stuff rather then cover band thing...1st thing we came up with...been a long time since I recorded/mixed anything, use to receive awesome feedback on this site...so here goes...

Link:
SoundClick player

Man, this is a great tune. Good performances all the way around. I especially like the bass guitar playing...some.very nice bass licks on this. Good lead guitar ride and I like the effect on it.
My suggestions on the mix:
I think the vocal has too much reverb on it. I would scale it back quite a bit. I think the bass guitar and the kick drum needs to come up a little. Finally, the drum kit up a little or the rythym guitars down a tad.
Good job on a great song !

Yeah. This is a pretty solid mix all-around.

I agree with jimi on the verb (or maybe just doubling) on the vox being a touch excessive and some more bass being nice.
I think the kit (including kick) is pretty much where it should be except that the hi-hat could come down a touch.

I might also look at those first few notes; they don't seem quite in time with each other.

Overall, a pretty tight recording tho.

jimistone:

Man, this is a great tune. Good performances all the way around. I especially like the bass guitar playing...some.very nice bass licks on this. Good lead guitar ride and I like the effect on it.
My suggestions on the mix:
I think the vocal has too much reverb on it. I would scale it back quite a bit. I think the bass guitar and the kick drum needs to come up a little. Finally, the drum kit up a little or the rythym guitars down a tad.
Good job on a great song !

Thanks Jimistone! Agreed with your bass and drum comment and did raise the drums a bit , have not addressed the guitars and bass yet but plan on trying your suggestion, thanks for listening!!

Vomithat Steve:
Yeah. This is a pretty solid mix all-around.

I agree with jimi on the verb (or maybe just doubling) on the vox being a touch excessive and some more bass being nice.
I think the kit (including kick) is pretty much where it should be except that the hi-hat could come down a touch.

I might also look at those first few notes; they don't seem quite in time with each other.

Overall, a pretty tight recording tho.

Pondering the vocals, they are doubled...singer did 2 takes...no delay or reverb, will try them as a single take and see how it sounds...as far as drums, they are loops so I cant control individual dynamics...this is kind of a rough demo, we are going to have a drummer lay down drums for it shortly , so hopefully the individual drum tracks will be able to be mixed in easier. Thanks for your comments, appreciate it!

Sounds great dude. Hi hat is little hot, but if you're re-tracking with real drums, this works great as a demo. The overall highs seem a little crisp, but that's more of a taste thing I think. The bass seems a little low, as others have said.

Nice job and cool tune.

now here's a tune with quite a bit of high end, compared to the others i've listened to today. i prefer this. it seems more open and live. it might be a bit too much, but i'd look at each instrument's top end before i'd reach for the master eq. there's clearly some spots on each piece that could be cut with eq to tame those harsh spots. hats and vocals, particularly. it almost sounds like the whole master was raised around 8khz and it's just affecting everything a bit too much.

Back