Funk/alt rock

I think there's a complete misunderstanding of what funk is these days.
many see it as pimp wah & a few chords of a certain ilk.
Funk has to be swing before it can be funk.
Led Zep discovered that and almost got there.
You have some good elements to your song although the weak vocals don't have a strong enough melody to make them work as Alt.
You need to get your rhythm section working together and rebuild this.

Well, RHCP is called funk rock and they hardly swing. And since when one of alt rock features was strong vocals? Should I just call this generic 'rock' then? It's not something that comes to my mind when I think about rock, though :)

What specifically is wrong with the rhythm section?

For the choruses just bass maybe?.. Funky right guitar in the chorus just before the last one? Nothing else sounds wrong to me.

For verses the 'funky' guitar part on the right side? And maybe add another layer of heaviness to thicken somewhere on the right? And again, the bass? Is that it? :) I as far as I understand, you're talking about arrangement of the music

Last edited:
I thought it wasn't until about 40 seconds in that every thing seemed like it had a groove... it was all a bit loose before.... and then later it lost it again IMO.

What I'd do is put this on repeat on your stereo, sing it about a hundred times (yep) and after that, come back and re-record the vocal, paying particular attention to timing and putting a bit of muscle into the tone, then one by one re-track the instruments.

And almost too many things going on with the guitar noodles...

Good start though. I look forward to hearing the next iteration.;)

I think your first mix is allright and the vocals sounds fine. Maybe a little bit of too much compression for my taste, but its ok.

Now your vocals in the second mix sounds like if you are trying to prove a point to the guys in this thread, haha.

I think you have a rather good sounding voice and the song sounds good to my ears.

I just listened to the 1st mix. I liked it. I wouldn't consider it funk though. By "weak vocal" I don't think rayc was talking about bad singing, I think he was saying that vocal line wasn't going anywhere and sounded monotonous. There isn't much melody to the vocal, its.almost a rap vocal.

Not sure about how you can listen to the first mix, guys, only the first one is available now on soundcloud :)

As for the compression: I was trying to achieve more of a modern sound in this song, as I feel vintage tones would not work there, so maybe this was required and compensated for my inexperience of dynamic singing... After the first comments I actually noticed lots of rhythmic inaccuracies, so it's much tighter now :)

Will try to do my best improving vocal melodies, I guess that would help my songs a lot.

Great comments, thanks!

Back