Frogetting

Armistice

Son of Yoda
LOL - "Frogetting" - "Forgetting", obviously.:laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings:

My first new track of the year.:yawn:

I've spent too long with it now and can't hear a damn thing any more. It's based around a particular reverb guitar pedal sound so it's a tad wet. Don't know what else I can tell you, really.

Any and all feedback welcome and appreciated. Cheers dudes and dudesses.:eek:

Forgetting

Forgetting

I hear you breathing way too fast
This darkness home to the past
Still sleeping through some endless fight
This battle always steals the night

I can hear you breathe
I can hear you breathe
Your name, a touch, it's nothing much

The small hours where dangers lie
You whimper, you twist and cry
A moment was all it took
To close that volume and start this book

I can hear you breathe
I can hear you breathe

Here we are ...

If forgiving is not for you
Maybe forgetting is the thing to do

I can hear you breathe
I can hear you breathe
I can hear you breathe
I can hear you breathe
:D

Nothing to add mix-wise. Just the vocal melody, I thought, was more familiar on lines like "you whimper, you twist and cry" rather than the lines where you're putting one word by itself for a bit, like "was" in the following line. I thought the flow was better on the whimper line.

I like the verse chord progression a lot. Nice tune dude

Really neat song. I feel that the guitar is the focus on this considering the drums are so far back and the bass is hardly noticeable. My only preference if it was my mix is to roll off or maybe shelf the low end of the guitar. Is pretty up there. It is rattling my desk...it doesn't sound like the bass doing it. Maybe the guitar is just a touch too loud? Regardless, great sounding song. Good job.

Nothing to add mix-wise. Just the vocal melody, I thought, was more familiar on lines like "you whimper, you twist and cry" rather than the lines where you're putting one word by itself for a bit, like "was" in the following line. I thought the flow was better on the whimper line.

I like the verse chord progression a lot. Nice tune dude

Thanks andypandy (hmmm.... you probably don't know who andy pandy is, I guess...). I tried various vocal arrangements with the relatively sparse number of words on offer and landed here, so I'm keeping it. :thumbs up:

Really neat song. I feel that the guitar is the focus on this considering the drums are so far back and the bass is hardly noticeable. My only preference if it was my mix is to roll off or maybe shelf the low end of the guitar. Is pretty up there. It is rattling my desk...it doesn't sound like the bass doing it. Maybe the guitar is just a touch too loud? Regardless, great sounding song. Good job.

Thanks Brutha - I've nudged the guitars down - there are so many that there's plenty of high pass filtering going on already - may have to do a little more and look at the bass as well - might have wound that HPF up a touch too high.

Interesting tune, nice clean tones, Les Paul?

Not sure if I listened to the updated version or not, but the guitars are a touch too loud, and the drums are a touch too soft. Vocal might be a hair too soft, but nudging the guitars down should help it, so I'd do that first. It's pretty close, so I'm talking little nudges.

Reverb sounds great, that's a nice pedal.

Great tune! I really like this man.

Main guitar seems a bit above everything else. Drums and bass seem buried but that is just my opinion.

Otherwise real cool feel here man. Props!

The opening riff sounds exactly like "One" by Metallica.

The mix is good. The guitars are competing with the bass a little (sounds like overlap in the lows of the guitar). It might just be the volume, or it might be the low frequencies of it. Once you sort that out, I think it will be really close.

The mix is good. The guitars are competing with the bass a little (sounds like overlap in the lows of the guitar). It might just be the volume, or it might be the low frequencies of it. Once you sort that out, I think it will be really close.

Naw it doesn't... lol!

I agree though about the low end of the guitar. Seems around 150hz on guitars will fight with the bass guitar when brought up in volume. But hard to say without it in the mix.

Interesting tune, nice clean tones, Les Paul?

Not sure if I listened to the updated version or not, but the guitars are a touch too loud, and the drums are a touch too soft. Vocal might be a hair too soft, but nudging the guitars down should help it, so I'd do that first. It's pretty close, so I'm talking little nudges.

Reverb sounds great, that's a nice pedal.

Thanks Johnny. PRS CU 22 actually. Just listening via my phone now I've still got to push that main guitar down a touch and roll the HPF up a little as well. Pedal is a Strymon BlueSky, using a "bloom" patch.

Great tune! I really like this man.

Main guitar seems a bit above everything else. Drums and bass seem buried but that is just my opinion.

Otherwise real cool feel here man. Props!

Thanks Jimmy. Still work to do - if you saw my monitoring set up you'd not be surprised at the issues I have getting the bass balance right on various instruments.:laughings:

Bit more tweaking and I'll get there.

Cheers Nola. As above!:guitar:

Thanks Jimmy. Still work to do - if you saw my monitoring set up you'd not be surprised at the issues I have getting the bass balance right on various instruments.:laughings:

Bit more tweaking and I'll get there.

:)

I just got some new monitors so I am giddy with hearing clarity now.

I just read the other posts so sorry about stating the same issues again...

Love the tune man! Makes me want to start smoking weed again! LOL!

Naw it doesn't... lol!

That's the first thought I had when I read that too, but listening again, I mean, it's not like I can say I don't hear any similarity whatsoever....it's there, but not the same intention or vibe. Even if transposed lower, or higher, three of the four notes, in relation to each other, are there.

But it never crossed my mind when listening the first time. And I've heard "One" a bagillion times. A bagillion and two, to be exact.

Even if transposed lower, or higher, three of the four notes, in relation to each other, are there.

Yeah, might not be the same notes/key, but it's the same intervals with one note missing (during the longer pause). I haven't picked up the guitar to confirm, but I believe that's what it is. Armistace! You got some splanin' to do!

Out of curiosity, I went and listened to One - I have heard it before, maybe once or twice, a decade or more ago, but I didn't really remember it. Forgetting is not really like it at all - apart from the first two notes being I/V in B - I can't claim originality for that sequence alas... :(

You'd be closer saying it sounded like a folk song, because that note sequence just before it repeats is straight from the acoustic guitarist's toolkit - you rarely hear it done on electric, however. Radiohead do, I'm sure others do as well, but I've not heard it much. And I've listened to a hell of a lot more Joni Mitchell than Metallica and she uses those first two notes as well sometimes.:thumbs up: although doesn't do standard tuning... :mad:

Wait, the first two notes of (Don't Fear) The Reaper, and a million other songs, are I/V. :laughings:

Now I'm confused. :eek:

Nola, you might want to brush upon on basic music theory, as all I'm playing are the first two notes on a major or minor chord on a guitar in standard tuning in the root position. Metallica didn't invent that sequence. After the B and E I play a G, which Metallica don't. And then I go to Em, which Metallica don't. I've got no explaining whatsoever to do.

The guitar is crushing everything else in your mix. Too loud IMO. That guitar has got some pushy midrange frequencies that had me reaching for the volume knob to turn down. Drums on the other hand are too low. A simpler, steadier drum pattern would give the song a more solid foundation.

The guitar is crushing everything else in your mix. Too loud IMO. That guitar has got some pushy midrange frequencies that had me reaching for the volume knob to turn down. Drums on the other hand are too low. A simpler, steadier drum pattern would give the song a more solid foundation.

:laughings:

The guitar is crushing everything else in your mix. Too loud IMO. That guitar has got some pushy midrange frequencies that had me reaching for the volume knob to turn down. Drums on the other hand are too low.
Yep, I'm hearing the volume thing now. I'll duck it in a little when the voices come in I think. On it's own, its a great sound, I reckon, but with the voices it's a bit much.

A simpler, steadier drum pattern would give the song a more solid foundation.

LOL - you always say that. But no. Thanks for the opinion but I'm not trying to write simple 4/4 pop tunes, and I like the drums as they are. My funeral.

I'll have another tune up in a couple of weeks. It just needs singing. Under 4 minutes and pretty straight drumming. You'll love it.

Cheers for the listen. :thumbs up:

Back