fritsthegirls's Opus

Blondie, what a dream she/it is. Man, have you seen the bassist in Belly? I think it's Gail Greenwood. Check out her belly/abs. :D

I don't know how she rates as a bassist but she's got more energy than the Hadron collider. Quite unusual to see that much physicality in a bassist.

I almost know already that bass isn't going to be my instrument, I'm waaay too obsessed with melody. Bass requires a more beat based approach.

It's the definition of ultra cool, playing the bass. You mostly see that guy just nodding his head, real calm, in his own little world. My kind of thing. I hope I can make it work when I do have one.

I just updated the link with Dobro's new bass (that I begrudgingly turned down) and some new vocals. Sorry that I'm not so good at keeping up the old with new versions. In my world, when a previous version has been revised it's dead and gone. So this new version is absolutely rough, but Jim'll fix it. :D

My voice is never going to be a refined sound with the lack of singing ability I have and the the amount of abuse I've given it over the years, but I think what I did this morning is a slight improvement. I gave up on the high parts. I was soprano when I was in a school choir when I was 12, but those days are clearly over.

Just to be clear, I have no intention of 'fixing' anything. The song does not need fixing. I would like to try a different approach to making it breathe like I hear the the song should in my head. Only my perspective.

There is a reason people go to different producers to get a certain sound. I am just curious to play with it, to see what that might be from me. I do not expect it to be any better than what you have already created. Just an experiment in another approach. A working/learning experience for me.

I was actually really close to buying a bass a couple of weeks ago. It was a Yamaha RBX170.

that's what I have. Love that bass. It's cheap, plays good and sounds good. So worth the money, especially if you get it for 100 smacka-euros. Mine was fire engine red, but I recently refinished it with a walnut burl veneer. Now it's dark chocolate. :D Mmmm, chocolate.

Enjoying your song. You've got plenty of comments already, so I don't need to add more to the list. But I will say, I enjoyed the counter-melody you've got going with the electric guitar. I think that's what gives it the beatles flavor from their psycho-delic phase. It's a nice touch.

I love this!

Great stuff going on here. Wish I could say more, but I'm sick as a dog and loopy as a tangled shoe. :laughings: :laughings:

I'll have to use that analogy again! :D

Tal is a great player and that shows when she plays bass for other folk & Aussie TOO! - this sort of stuff is precisely why I don't like jazz. Beck makes my point for me - he's playing bass while she's not playing bass - she's playing on a bass.
My all time fav bassist (and one that could play a mean solo too ) is Jimmy Lea from Slade. Women bassists - well, the lass from the Whippersnappers is cool or the lass from the Pixies.
Get a bass Trish but play it how you hear it - I'm just a grump.
Any chance of youputting up an MP3 so I can download this and pop it on my digital player?

T
Get a bass Trish but play it how you hear it - I'm just a grump.
Any chance of youputting up an MP3 so I can download this and pop it on my digital player?

LOL, when I heard Dobro's bass for this tune, I knew in a million years I wouldn't have thought to play that ever. But it adds so much to the song, I've actually been humming that bass line more than I have the melody.

I've just enable downloads on Soundcloud. :)

Just to be clear, I have no intention of 'fixing' anything. The song does not need fixing. I would like to try a different approach to making it breathe like I hear the the song should in my head. Only my perspective.

There is a reason people go to different producers to get a certain sound. I am just curious to play with it, to see what that might be from me. I do not expect it to be any better than what you have already created. Just an experiment in another approach. A working/learning experience for me.

I am curious also. I totally know it will be better though. :D I've never had my songs properly mixed, and there's a lot of stuff I don't even use, or use very sparingly, like compression, panning, that sort of thing. It'll be really good for my ears to hear the stuff you do to it, I expect I'll learn a lot.

that's what I have. Love that bass. It's cheap, plays good and sounds good. So worth the money, especially if you get it for 100 smacka-euros. Mine was fire engine red, but I recently refinished it with a walnut burl veneer. Now it's dark chocolate. :D Mmmm, chocolate.

Enjoying your song. You've got plenty of comments already, so I don't need to add more to the list. But I will say, I enjoyed the counter-melody you've got going with the electric guitar. I think that's what gives it the beatles flavor from their psycho-delic phase. It's a nice touch.

Cool, ta for the heads up about the bass. I read a few reviews that all said it was a pretty good starter bass but it's always better to hear it first hand. They come up quite often on ebay so as soon as one's close enough for me to go check it out before I buy it, I think I'm going to for it.

Thanks for having a listen too. I'll attribute the Beatles sound to Heat's suggestion. He had a listen to the instrumental version and suggested I take it in the Blue Jay/Flying kind direction. The idea stuck, and went well with what I had already. He's a wise man that Heat. I haven't seen him around much. Hopefully busy making a new tune. :)

Indeed. This one's good too. I saw her earlier this year.

I saw Esperanza Spalding on Austin City Limits. She played bass well enough, but her energy was cool and her songs were also.

I like watching Tal, but she's not any better than most every other bass player out there. I'll admit I bought Jeff Beck's Live at Ronnie Scott's dvd because of Tal, but I find I enjoy watching Beck's and the drummer's, Vinnie Coluita, playing style more.

Okay, back to the Opus thread. Sorry Frits. :o

It is indeed. :D

I know! Google her pics. Every single pic is a tit tucked into her jazz bass. If she played her bass lower, no one on earth would know who she is. Genius self marketing, average bass player.

I play my bass low enough to sling my junk over the top. Maybe I can be famous too! :D

I like this song very much but most interesting to me was the way the recording's dynamics changed as you added prts and then dropped them out at certain points, particularly the drums and sometimes just the cymbols. The elctric and acoustic work together very nicely. I really like the drum part you put togehter, it has a great feel that adds a lot and the samples you chose sound great. On my system the kick starts to sound electronic and a little muffled as ther mix develops and loses some of it's acoustic upper range that the snare retains, I listened on headphones though andthat is probably why. Unfortunately I missed the earlier versions because I am a weekender here. I understand this is a work in progress but I was wondering if the song is also, are you still thinking of addig to the lyrics and arrangement?
I have to also add that I am in the anti-Celine style vocal camp and love your vocal performance, I much prefer an expressive and natural delivery over technical perfection that to me often erases the emotion, though there are exceptions (I think Freddide Mercury is a good example). At the same time, I completely understand your dissatisfaction with the vocal, I have always felt the same way when recording something new versus something that I have been playing for some time and have made all the decisions on already - it just comes out better when I know where I'm going at every turn.
Anyway, great job on this and anxious to see where it goes with all of the contributions you have on tap.

You need to rethink the tempo. Take it up to 120, drop all the tracks but bass, then layer guitars ala heavy metal and double her vocals on top. Thicken the drums with delay. Think Pink Floyd. Then when that's good add some synth pad. Then just stop. See if that doesn't help. Right now it sounds like heroin chic.

You need to rethink the tempo. Take it up to 120, drop all the tracks but bass, then layer guitars ala heavy metal and double her vocals on top. Thicken the drums with delay. Think Pink Floyd. Then when that's good add some synth pad. Then just stop. See if that doesn't help. Right now it sounds like heroin chic.

Huh. Interesting. How about you get right on that....

By the way, were you trying to be a dick, or did it just come across that way?

I don't hang out in the clinic very much, but I had to say that this was a great tune. It has the feel of an idea that couldn't help but be committed to "tape". It's a little spontaneous and definitely tuneful. I'm a Beatles layman, but it does make me think of Sgt. Pepper a bit. I'm impressed by the lyrics and chord progressions.

Nothing sounds cluttered and everything is distinct in the mix. I do really like the clean (fingerpicked?) electric guitar part. Dig the hihat play and the snare rolls on the drum machine too. Good use of breaks in the drums. Drums are a little far back, but I think that it fits the song. Do you use a MIDI keyboard to input your drum parts?

Also, apparently if you just change everything about the song, it could sound like Pink Floyd :)

Back