Four Volcas of the Apocolypse

kcearl

I see deaf people
this is just four Korg volcas...theyre little $150 analogue boxes with built in sequencers

korg-volca-modules.jpg

apart from being a bit noisy Im getting some decent results, despite limitations.

Mix is just a headphone mix, Ive just got them, an interface, and a laptop to work with...kinda fun though, I keep them in a cupboard next to my sofa and whip them out late at night...very clandestine!

Last edited:
Cool. Good to see new stuff in the clinic from you!

So which sounds are the Korgs then? Presumably the synth melodies. What's doing the drums?

It's like great confection. Pretty flavors all blended into creamy sweetness.

Thanx man :)

Cool. Good to see new stuff in the clinic from you!

So which sounds are the Korgs then? Presumably the synth melodies. What's doing the drums?

Everythings the korgs...the drums are covered by the korg beats and a snare sample I uploaded into the Korg sample. Im trying to make an EP/album not using anything in my studio, just these four boxes..Beats, Bass, Sample, and Keys.

Why do you need 4? Are you doing a lot of stuff in real time, or do they produce entirely different sounds?

You are dedicated. A complete mobile set up for late night couch jams. :)

This sounds great to me. Pretty thick, warm and rich. Kind of has a luxury car commercial vibe to it at times. Not necessarily a bad thing?

Professional driver. Closed course. Do not attempt.

this is just four Korg volcas...theyre little $150 analogue boxes with built in sequencers

View attachment 92125

apart from being a bit noisy Im getting some decent results, despite limitations.

Mix is just a headphone mix, Ive just got them, an interface, and a laptop to work with...kinda fun though, I keep them in a cupboard next to my sofa and whip them out late at night...very clandestine!

Yeah, this rocks. Well done, you. I'm keen to get the Volca Beats into my next recording. I'm gonna use it a different way than you did here, but what kinda surprise is that? That kick sounds better than any unit this size deserves. Stimulating. Thanks.

The mix: you gotta deal with the darkness. I'd add a vocal, too, of course. Do you sing?

So how do you work 4 of these things? One to do the drums (from samples you load in?), then the other 3 for the various synths? Were the distorted vox at start a sample into one of these?

firstly thanks for listening guys, I know Im not here often to give feedback so its appreciated.

Why do you need 4? Are you doing a lot of stuff in real time, or do they produce entirely different sounds?

You are dedicated. A complete mobile set up for late night couch jams. :)

This sounds great to me. Pretty thick, warm and rich. Kind of has a luxury car commercial vibe to it at times. Not necessarily a bad thing?

Professional driver. Closed course. Do not attempt.

yeah they each cover a different aspect, though theres some overlap between the bass and keys units.

While Im on exodus from my studio I wanted something fun to do that didnt involve software...I was jamming with these through a little battery powered mixer, these are battery powered too, so no plugging in, no PC booting up.

Yeah, this rocks. Well done, you. I'm keen to get the Volca Beats into my next recording. I'm gonna use it a different way than you did here, but what kinda surprise is that? That kick sounds better than any unit this size deserves. Stimulating. Thanks.

The mix: you gotta deal with the darkness. I'd add a vocal, too, of course. Do you sing?

the kick is the highlight of the Beats unit, the snare, unfortunately, is awful...the rest of the sounds are pretty usable. I had to use an 808 sample loaded into the Sample unit t cover that duty.

As for the mix Ill try to get it into a different system to hear it better but Im guessing its in the ballpark...most of my stuffs dark, it kinda focuses on the bass or kick. I might have overdone it a little, hard to tell on mt DT770's as the have a boost at around 90khz

I sing, but not for a long time, and it scares children lol

So how do you work 4 of these things? One to do the drums (from samples you load in?), then the other 3 for the various synths? Were the distorted vox at start a sample into one of these?

yeah you got it...they come in four flavours..Beats, Bass, Keys, Sample

everything that Im going to record with these, comes from these...I tried to use minimal processing, comp, delay, verb, EQ, and they were all stock plugins from Ableton and studio One, no third party..dunno why, I think the point is to try and work with limitations. They all have 16 step sequencers so each pattern has to stay within that parameter, mean it can be really repetitive unless I work with the sounds movement. Also no automation, the sounds are played while tracking.

I dont have rules anywhere else in my life so I have to invent them lol

btw the Sample is the best $150 Ive spent on music gear...if this had come out twenty years ago it wouldve been a game changer

its only 32/16 bit so its crunchy...and its memory is only 4mb or 100 samples, but it it brilliant, step automation, motion sequencing. they run on batteries and have a built in speaker so you can take it anywhere

hqdefault.jpg

Bitchin KC. It sounds like something they would play during the intro credits of some bad ass action movie lol.

This is great KC. I'm impressed how full and rich those little boxes sound - reminds me of that last aphex twin album a bit where he went back to the analogue synthy sound.

I've been toying with the idea of getting the volca beats box for a while to get some glitchy beats and weird sounds, but from what you've posted and from the demo vid on the Korg site, it sounds like the volca sample might be a better one to get initially at least. I liked how he made kick, hi hats and melody out of just one piano sample. What do you think?

I see Korg have also opened their stuff up to third parties to develop their own editor software too, which is cool as the official app is only for apple products.

Anyway, back to your piece. Great to hear something new from you and hope all goes well with the arrival of yer new bairn :D

btw the Sample is the best $150 Ive spent on music gear...if this had come out twenty years ago it wouldve been a game changer

its only 32/16 bit so its crunchy...and its memory is only 4mb or 100 samples, but it it brilliant, step automation, motion sequencing. they run on batteries and have a built in speaker so you can take it anywhere

View attachment 92145

Gee, you're an expensive bastard. You just cost me $150 at a time when I'm saving up for a good guitar. :guitar:

This sounds really great. Excellent vibe. Very thick. I don't think it is dark or heavy in the low end. I think it is just where it should be.

Composing with instruments such as these always blows my mind, as a simple minded guitar player. I don't understand how this is done. I am very impressed.

Back