Found Sound Electronic Music

Birdie07

Hi! I'm a 19-year-old music producer from India currently based in Chicago. Recently, I started a personal project where I solely rely on found sounds and collaborate with traditional instrumentalists to create a beat. The first iteration of this project features a multitude of sounds ranging from the great Chicago winds to the things on my very messy table, all tied down by the slick bass work of my friend. I would really appreciate any kind of constructive criticism and any advice of how to take this project further. Thank you!

That's pretty cool. Like a vaporwave version of Abstinence.

I assume you're not really looking for mix advice since you've already got it set to a video?

That's pretty cool. Like a vaporwave version of Abstinence.

I assume you're not really looking for mix advice since you've already got it set to a video?

Hey! I'm always looking for mix advice! I like to finish things and then get mix advice so that I can apply them to my next project. So fire away man! I'd really appreciate it! I really haven't mixed this kind of thing before so any insight would be super helpful!

That was somewhat of a bluff as nothing really stuck out as needing fixing in the mix. :D

Maybe the "snare" sound in the early part of the mix is a bit dark?

I thought this was pretty good too. I thought the bass was a little boomy and muddy at times. I might play around with some notch cuts around 80hz or so and in the 300hz - 330hz range.

The slow closing gate stuff was cool. Maybe a bit overdone. But pretty cool.

I thought this was pretty good too. I thought the bass was a little boomy and muddy at times. I might play around with some notch cuts around 80hz or so and in the 300hz - 330hz range.

The slow closing gate stuff was cool. Maybe a bit overdone. But pretty cool.

Yeah, I though the bass was kinda boomy too tbh. But I thought it was just my room fudging things up so I didnt want to mess with it (College dorm, Small room, Monitors placed at room corner). Glad you like the closing gate thing! Mind elaborating on the 'overdone' part? Thank you so much for your insights man! :)

Well, I'm going to pass on this one simply because you only seem to come by when you have a song to promote, and I haven't seen any comments/feedback on anyone else's tunes. Your songs are always well-produced, but we need ppl feeding both sides here. And like VHS said, you got the thing to a video already.

I've always liked the concept of found sounds. I bought one of those little Tascam stereo recorders a couple of years ago but the only sounds I've ever used in a track was some crickets.

Your jam is pretty cool. Ultimately though it's the end result - the music - that eventuates and not so much how it was recorded or the instruments used (or not). You've done a nice job here using those sounds as creative inspiration

Started out really nice but I felt it was a bit cluttered at the end. I did like the innovation using strange instrumentation. Kudos to your bass player.

Well, I'm going to pass on this one simply because you only seem to come by when you have a song to promote, and I haven't seen any comments/feedback on anyone else's tunes. Your songs are always well-produced, but we need ppl feeding both sides here. And like VHS said, you got the thing to a video already.

Hey sorry man. It dont really come here to promote, especially when I doubt I get a lot of traffic from here. I genuinely come here for real genuine insights from audiophiles, something that you can't really get anywhere else. As for commenting on other people's tunes, I'm a newbie myself. I've been doing this for a year or so and never really felt I was entitled to comment of other people's tracks when I'm an amateur myself. But I will keep this in mind and be more active in the gearslutz community from now onwards.

I've always liked the concept of found sounds. I bought one of those little Tascam stereo recorders a couple of years ago but the only sounds I've ever used in a track was some crickets.

Your jam is pretty cool. Ultimately though it's the end result - the music - that eventuates and not so much how it was recorded or the instruments used (or not). You've done a nice job here using those sounds as creative inspiration

Hey that's obviously true. But I kinda got tired of sittling behind a computer and just fiddling with synth parameters and knobs to come up with all the same kind of sounds. I wanted to inspire myself, get out of my comfort zone, and just experiment and have fun. And this was the result of that. Thank you for your comments and I'm so glad you liked what I did. :)

Hey! Yeah, Pedro's a beast. :) The glitch part was a hit or miss. Some people really liked but some people didn't care of it that much. But I get that. Thank you for taking the time to listen man! :)

Back