Follow Me Ape Teeth

fritsthegirl

Taste of home
Hey guys,

Here's another tune I did with the one and only Heatmiser. Again, he did most of the hard work.

I sent him 4 notes of guitar, bit of (mellotron) flute and a complete drum track (that I downloaded from Loop Loft). Pete created the rest of the song with guitar and bass, and mixed it. Sounded awesome. I added vocals after that, in the way of some repetitive lyrics & he mixed it again. Still sounded pretty awesome, or at least we thought so. If you want to, have a listen. Thanks guys. :)

Instruments sounded good. Even the drum loops. :)

I think the vocal sounds good too. I think it's a little buried. I'd nudge the drums down a little bit. And then I'd boost the vocal (both lead and backing). I might also give the lead vocal just a bit of a presence boost - like in the 5K-6K range. I thought I caught a spot or two where you were struggling with a high harmony part - like a small bobbled note.

And that's about it. I think it's pretty close.

Yeah, buried vocal. Trish has a gentle voice, and it needs to be made room for.

Great tune.

I am hearing a lot of bass more so on certain lower notes. You may want to notch those out. Otherwise sounds good.....like the clear guitar

Trish your voice is a little low in the mix in the busier parts BUT I like it like that - it seems to reflect the lyric.
Nice work Heat.
Nice solo.
The 'Tron flute is great as well.
The drum loop was very Beck to my ears at 1st but soon became part just a part of the whole after a minute.
Nice birdies too.

I agree that the vocal during the 'busy part' is a little low in the mix, but during the other parts it blends well. I'm not hearing much kick in the drum part, Nice collaboration.

Cool song! I liked hearing the story of how this was constructed, really interesting to me because it’s about the opposite of how I put things together. It totally worked.
I didn't think the vocals were too quiet, exactly, but what if you made the lead vocal part a little louder relative to the rest of the vocal parts? And then you'd probably have to take all the vocals down a hair after doing that. Not sure about this though, just wanted to throw it out there. I felt like I wanted to hear the lead more clearly, but that the problem wasn't exactly the volume of the vocals as a whole.
I love the birds.

L MJB says, the issue is when the band's full on - that's when the vocal's getting buried. The level's fine when things are quieter.

I'm listening on laptop speakers for now, but it sounds pretty good. Some definite improvement in your vocal delivery in this one.

I'll listen later on headphones so I can actually *hear* the mix.

Nice song, great vocals & instruments, super job all 'round, especially using drum loops, to me they sound pretty realistic...

I really can't add much more than what's been mentioned, the lead vocal needs a little bump in volume in places, but that's really the only nit I've got with the mix...

The acoustic sounds a little like it's direct/di, but I like it, it fits the song...

The little bass thing about 2:00 or so is great too, adds to the song instead of just playing along (like I usually do...:))...

The singer is does a really good job IMHO, everything sounds good, but especially the lead vocals...

Love the ripping bass there heat! I'd second the comment that in certain places it's just a little bassy... especially in the less crowded bits. All the incidental stuff is really top notch... I do like the way you put all these interesting little bits and pieces in your own stuff, and in this as well.

FTG - very Kirsty MacColl feel to this one... I'd bring the voice up a little here and there.

Nice work all.

I. Love. This. Fucking. Song.

Loaded in iTunes. I am traveling Europe now and this song is my traveling companion for some reason but it just feels right, right now and right here.

I hope you don't change a fucking thing because the idiosyncrasies make it so much sweeter.

This is fantastic stuff and I hope you both collaborate on a full length record.

Shut up and take my money.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Ok. Listening on some decent cans now...

The vox do get a tad buried in the busier parts.
I actually think the bass is at a good level during the quiet passages but is kind of overpowering in the busy sections.

This was a fun listen. I agree that the vocal tone is the most problematic. It disappears when the full band is going. And I think it needs some EQ work; it sounds a bit dull and lacks some definition. I wish I could give specific ideas in terms of frequencies, but I often have the same problem with my vocal tracks. :( Cool tune, though!

Are you guys into twee pop and/or bands like the Vaselines? This reminds me a lot of that style. But the bass is quite boomy. I like the vocal low..."indie" type vocals sound best slightly buried like that, so I think it fits the style and genre. I never have to strain to hear them so they aren't too low, just lower than mainstream songs. Overall good.

Damn nice tune by you both again. Love the jangly indie pop type feel :)

I listened a couple of times over the last few days in case anything came to me to suggest, but not much did. I agree with mjb that I don't hear much kick, but I guess you're limited in editing the original loop. It means the low end is a touch light when the bass part is high like during the solo, but it's no biggie.

Main bone of contention in the thread seems to be around vocal level, but I think the 'in the mix' level sounds fine on this one to be honest. There's a tendency on here to push for vocals out in front, which wasn't something I necessarily heard in my record collection until I started posting on here. I think I've become more conditioned to it after a few years posting and catch myself pushing for it too - when actually it's nice sometimes to just have the voice as another instrument in the mix, and some lyrical ambiguity is cool. In short, the vocals have a pleasing vulnerability about them and I'd leave them as they are. [/rambling]

Are you guys into twee pop and/or bands like the Vaselines? This reminds me a lot of that style. But the bass is quite boomy. I like the vocal low..."indie" type vocals sound best slightly buried like that, so I think it fits the style and genre. I never have to strain to hear them so they aren't too low, just lower than mainstream songs. Overall good.

+1. Nothing much to add here. I think the mix - vocals not so upfront - fits the style, "indie-pop", "twee-pop". I might be wrong there, but I'm sure it's a great song.:listeningmusic:

loved it, sounded like Petes approach to music with some great vocals...you guys could be the next st etienne

great sig line fritz ;)

Dunno if you goons have noticed, but the poster and the collaborator haven't responded in...what? a week?

Yer all talkin' to yourselves. :facepalm:

Instruments sounded good. Even the drum loops. :)

I think the vocal sounds good too. I think it's a little buried. I'd nudge the drums down a little bit. And then I'd boost the vocal (both lead and backing). I might also give the lead vocal just a bit of a presence boost - like in the 5K-6K range. I thought I caught a spot or two where you were struggling with a high harmony part - like a small bobbled note.

And that's about it. I think it's pretty close.

Sorry guys. I uploaded this shortly before going on holiday. Stupid timing I should have waited. Yeh I did struggle with the higher parts. I just managed them...but not so confidently.

Yeah, buried vocal. Trish has a gentle voice, and it needs to be made room for.

Great tune.

Aye, gentle it is. Except when I'm talking, it's weird. I talk pretty loud!

I am hearing a lot of bass more so on certain lower notes. You may want to notch those out. Otherwise sounds good.....like the clear guitar

Thanks for having a listen. I always like Heat's guitar and bass too.

Trish your voice is a little low in the mix in the busier parts BUT I like it like that - it seems to reflect the lyric.
Nice work Heat.
Nice solo.
The 'Tron flute is great as well.
The drum loop was very Beck to my ears at 1st but soon became part just a part of the whole after a minute.
Nice birdies too.

The drum track has had some pretty excessive treatment I think. I'm not sure exactly what but I think it works aye?

Back