Fly at Night - Indie Rock/mix critique

The mix sounds good, but the guitars during the intro sound really upfront -- I'd lower those during the intro and then a few db during the main sections, too. The guy singing backing vocal sounds weird and out of place, but I think it's his voice more than the mix.

The mix sounds good, but the guitars during the intro sound really upfront -- I'd lower those during the intro and then a few db during the main sections, too. The guy singing backing vocal sounds weird and out of place, but I think it's his voice more than the mix.

thx Nola. Brought them down a little.

Very cool song, I love the effect you have going on during the verse. Is that just a simple guitar riff with a delay? One thing I remember these types of bands doing was to switch it up in between verses. For example it would be on the left during the first verse, then on the right during the 2nd verse. I'd like to hear how that sounds. Wall of guitars sounds great. I feel like it's a hard thing to get right to sound big but still leave room for the vocal. How many tracks do you have / how are they EQ'd? Wouldn't change the station if I heard it on the radio.

thx Nola. Brought them down a little.

thanks. that sounds better, but they are still way too loud. i notice people are having a hard time mixing guitars lately.

guitars take up a lot of space in a mix so you always can put them much lower than you think and they still carry clout. i'd lower them significantly.

I agree with Nola about the guitars being really loud. I think the mix sounds too bright also!

The song is good, the performance and idea for the song is really cool! Really good job, man.

ok I had given up on this song. But I removed the first verse and changed the guitar outro. Also fixed the some of the brightness and harshness in the mix. The links above the old version for comparison

Great performance but it sounds like it could use some high eq work on everything. The bass and drums are cool but the vocals/synth/guitars needs some high trimmed off as it is a little grating on my ears. Guitar soloing at around the 3 minute marks is getting a little buried.

This is really nice. I love the full, textured sound. It's possible the highs could be a little (I mean just a little) much, but I'm only saying that because I'm listening on my cheap headphones that tend to dull things, and I feel like if I were listening on my monitors or my good headphones they might be a little harsh. Harshness is my #1 biggest issue with my stuff, so it's one thing I really listen for in others' work to try to learn how to get rid of it. I'll have to listen again when I'm hooked up to my equipment. It sounds great, and again I love the way you sing. Very clear, very pleasant to listen to.

Back