The Flight/The Choice - two songs for the price of one! (still free)

VomitHatSteve

Hat STYLE. Not contents.
These two songs flow together as one, so I'm uploading them as a single file. (Don't worry, it sill only clocks in at 3:45).

The Flight/The Choice - Regdar and the Fighters

As always, I'm open to any and all feedback.

Does the transition work? How's the acoustic tone? How does the piano sound? I'm experimenting with some new auto-mastering algorithms; how is that sounding?

I'm pretty sure I'm hearing timing issues in the beginning. Whatever percussion is happening there, it is out of time in lots of spots with the guitars. I'm also sensing tuning problems between the bass and guitars. Other than that, I think just a fine-tuning of volume for each instrument should be good. Some things stick out loudly in some spots. Transition worked fine, seemed like one song to me.

Geez, been dead around here lately. Listening in a few, comments incoming.

That's what I get for starting a thread on a weekend

I'm pretty sure I'm hearing timing issues in the beginning. Whatever percussion is happening there, it is out of time in lots of spots with the guitars. I'm also sensing tuning problems between the bass and guitars. Other than that, I think just a fine-tuning of volume for each instrument should be good. Some things stick out loudly in some spots. Transition worked fine, seemed like one song to me.

Hmmm... timing is probably the guitar then since the percussion is on a grid.

Tuning between the electric guitars or the acoustic vs. bass?

Thanks for the listen.

Mostly I thought it was pretty good. I like the distorted guitar tone. I thought the vocal sound was good. I liked the bass tone.

I noticed timing problems early in the song too.

The guitars are a bit loud in the first section of the song (up until about :53). They cover the vocal a bit and they cover the drums a ton. Vocal could be compressed a bit harder I think.

I the very last section, the snare is kind of getting squashed. I don't hear any clips, but I also don't hear a pristine snare either.

Thanks Tripm.

I'll double-check that timing then.

Snare being squashed might be from the faux mastering? When I do another mix, I'll make sure to upload an unsquashed mix.

I also think the guitars are just a little loud at the start. I'd probably have the lead vocal out in front a hair through the whole thing.

Not sure the automated mastering did you any favors.

Ok. New mix at the same link

More randomly-generated hand percussion! Actual tambourine!
More automation on vocals!
Tighter editing on acoustics!
Slightly-tweaked levels on a bunch of stuff!

I also uploaded the unmastered versions of each song for comparison.

Thanks!

Back