First song of ours I mixed. Doing an original cd. Thoughts?

The track reminded me a bit of The Sweet.

There are a couple of things that should be addressed. There is clipping on "Be my tonight" at 1:28. I noticed it again at 2:17 and 3:46, so you will need to examine your vocal track carefully. From about halfway through the track I can hear an echo on the snare which becomes more pronounced at 3.18. This could be deliberate, but it could also be a result of shifting tracks around and getting them slightly out of synch with each other. There's a funny jumpy thing at 3:57. Again, it could be deliberate, but it's not a technique I've heard in a driving rock song, and sounds more like a CD skipping than something musical.

Other than that, the musical elements are all sound, and the mix, I think is reasonable; it wouldn't disturb your listeners. However, there will be a variety of opinions (including mine) about what could be done. For example, I'd be inclined to give the kit more emphasis, drop some of the mids from the bass, and push back the main guitar a bit.

I thought the song was cool. I liked the style. Good singing voice. What's with the vocal line at around 1:02? Something sounded strange with the delivery.

I thought the guitar didn't have enough low end. Honestly, I don't think the bass did either. And the bass is dominating the kick in the low end. So like someone said before - there isn't enough low end.

The snare is a little thin and lacking power. A song like this would really be helped by a real thumping snare and kick.

I like a dry vocal. So if it were me, I'd back off some of the processing on the lead vocal.

OK, Thanks, I will take all the help I can get. Our problem is, we have 4 mics. A 2 channel interface. We make do with the drums best we can. Hard to fine tune drums.

That's going to be very limiting with a 2 input interface for the drums. having said it does sound decent for what you're uing. If I were you guys I'd rent an 8 channel interface and some mics and record the drums...especially if you're going to put out a cd. you've got some good vibe happening... I loved the song!!!

It sounds like a Dokken tune with Brett Micheals singing. Obviously, with only two inputs and no mixer, you won't be able to do the drums in stereo. But tracking another guitar part so you can have one on the left and the other on the right would give you a bigger, more exciting stereo image. It would also allow you to bring the bass back to the center where it belongs.

I get that you are going for that George Lynch guitar tone, and you are very close, but as thin the guitar was in "Burning Like a Flame" (which has a similar guitar line), it still has a lot more low end than you have here, it also doesn't have all that super high hash that yours has. You could stand to take away 3-4db of high shelf at 6-8khz

I am the bass player, but out guitarist is a Dokken fan, along with Ratt, VH, etc. I do have 2 guitar tracks, panned left and right. My bass is also in the middle. I have taken the highs out of guitar, and mix overall. Also fixed the vocals clipping. Its sounds a lot better. Have taken what I got from the input of this song, and used them on other songs. They improved in sound. Thank you

Pretty much what everyone else said, but I'll add a couple of new observations. For me, you're on the wrong side of the fine line between energetically loose, and messy, in places. I also think the guitar solo needs work - there are a couple of notes where other notes might have sounded better, and I'd ditch doubling up on the hi hats as well.

Good energy though - lots of potential.

You may have two guitar tracks, but I only hear one performance. Have the guitar player double the rhythm part and pan the performances hard left and right. You can ditch one of the two tracks you have now, because it is still essentially mono, except for the light chorus.

You may have two guitar tracks, but I only hear one performance. Have the guitar player double the rhythm part and pan the performances hard left and right. You can ditch one of the two tracks you have now, because it is still essentially mono, except for the light chorus.

What he said!

Too much high end and it sounds like an itty bitty drum kit. Cut some of that high end, and give the drums some balls. Drum balls. Hm!

Great song and well done.

I usually don't read other people's comments before making my own, but this time I did and generally agree.

My 2 cents is to get you to think of the relationships of the instruments. I understand your guitarist is after a particular sound, but to me it sounds like the singer is under the main guitar, and it also sounds like there is a disconnect between the singing/guitar and the bass and drums. You may be onto a great sound, but I would like the singing to dominate the centre and the guitar pulled down to connect with the bass and drums.

As others have mentioned, you could try bringing down the tone of the guitar, or push it wider (it doesn't sound like a stereo double), or mix it quieter, or add reverb, or whatever.

It will be very hard to get a decent drum with 2 in. If you don't want to spend much on gear, and your band has 2 computers, your DAW may let you sync them which would give you 4 in (2 to each computer). I hasten to add I have never tried that, but I'm sure I have seen something that sounds like you can do that when trawling through the Reaper DAW documentation. Or if your drummer's ego can handle it, you could "enhance" with sampled drums :)

You could try using DI on your bass.

EDIT: Here is a podcast on recording drums with 4 in.
http://www.homerecordingshow.com/2014/01/20/show-231-great-drums-with-4-mics/

Last edited:
This was my first mix. Have made some changes people have mentioned. Does sound better. Some of the things I did recording this song, I will not do again. Like taking one guitar track, copying it, and panning them out. Now I record two performances, each with a different amp, or pickup change, or mic placement. Im making sure I get better performances on tape. Its a learning process for me. Which Im loving. Thanks for all the honest comments.

Even if you use the same amp/tone/pickup for both performances, it will give you a big stereo spread.

The reason the copy and pan thing doesn't work is because there is no difference at all between the copies.

Mono = one track panned center = same exact thing coming from both speakers

duplicated tracks panned wide = same exact thing coming from both speakers = mono

It accomplishes nothing.

+1 to what pretty much everyone else has said. Especially on getting some body on those drums. You can get ok results with just a few mics. The big thing so to make sure that your kick and snare sound good. If you don't have decent kick and snare, you'll be fighting an uphill battle the whole way.

It also sounds like the drums are ducking on the vocals and the lead guitar. They're almost completely buried when the solo hits.

Really, with this sort of music, if I were to prioritize what people need to here it would go: Vocals > Drums > Lead guitars > rhythm guitars > bass. (As a fellow bassist: forget those bass jerks. They're really quite extraneous! :D )

Back