First Song, need some feedback

LaFresh1

I've been mixing this down like crazy. Not yet finished. And just for the record, I don't know a THING about mixing, and I'm sure it will show lol, I just do whatever I can to make it sound as good as I possibly can.

Never went to a school, just going off a few tutorials I saw on youtube.

Anyways, it's me on the vocals. Song is called 'Today'

And the hook I know is ass, I gotta re-do it lol

I'm using Adobe Audition which I am hating with a passion more and more, but it's the only program I have and know how to use somewhat..

Attachments

• test.mp3
    7.2 MB · Views: 19
Sounds good to me. I am relatively new to this myself, so I can only point out pretty obvious flaws, like if a vocal track is really loud or buried or if the treble is so high that it gives you a headache. There are guys here that can probably give you a shitload of stuff to change.

I don't like rap (except for the first Geto Boys album, which is a goddamn masterpiece, regardless of genre), but I didn't find this too objectionable. Vocals were particularly good. My friends who listen to rap would like it.

The levels of everything in the mix sound good. The vocal has too much sibilance. It needs de-essing. There is also a harsh midrange on the vocal that's not pleasing to the ear. Those type of artifacts are usually the result of using a cheap mic and too much compression. I would suggest re cutting the vocal and when you come to a word that starts with an s or a p turn slightly and don't speak it directly into the mic. Also, use as little compression as you can get away with. It won't sound so squashed and harsh with less compression.
If you're using a cheap condenser mic you may get a better sounding vocal track with a cheap dynamic mic like a sure PG 58 (less than $100... it is the best cheap mic for the money in my opinion)
it's really not bad at all...I'm just making suggestions to improve it.

The backing track sounds good. I don't have a big subwoofer to really test it's oomph but it sounds great on my headphones.

And like jimistone said, the vocal hisses a bit.

Back