first post my trio live in the basement ... looking for feedback regarding mix

stang

We are a part time band called Groovehounds. We get together a couple of times a month and jam stuff and try to record it live. We have 2 cheap condensers for overheads, 57 on the snare, 57 on the kick, bass amp miked with a 57 and I play a 1963 fender jazz master through a fender hotrod miked with a 57. Vocals a sure 58. We have been doing this for about a year and a half ... when mixing I struggle with the the kick and bass. It's a small tams kit and the bass drum is small ... and I think what I run into is wanting a bigger bass drum sound so I eq and compress trying to get more punch. This is just a jam based on All along the watchtower. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.I am attempting to attach an mp3 but realized it has to be 5mb ... time too compress more.

Attachments

• watchtower.mp3
    4.7 MB · Views: 9
I like the way you guys play. I like the drummer. Guitar isn't bad either. Sounds good.

Mix could use some work.

For me there's too much reverb on the guitar. And a more overdriven sound would be much better for the mix. IMO of course.

Too much room sound on the drums for me. I'd like a dryer drum sound.

Too much reverb on the vocal too.

I think you could nudge the bass down a couple of db's.

Focusing too much on the negatives. Good playing.

Good Jammin' tune. The mix sounds as retro as the song is...not sure if your going for that or not. Everything seems really centered to me so there is not much spacial separation. Again, that may have been your intentions. Good playing all around.

First of: your singer has a great voice and attitude but I think he could cut the "yeaaahs" a bit. He's not James Hetfield ;)
I enjoyed him holding the note and jamming on it a bit but use a "yeaah" and then an "ooooh" next time to keep it fresh.

The mix sounds pretty retro with all its good and bad sides.
Is that what you were going for?

Back