First mix. Metal

AdamR

Ok, my first shot at mixing. I used files I downloaded online, mixed in Cubase. For the guitar tones I used Guitar Rig 5. The bass track I doubled leaving 1 clean DI and the second I added some tube overdrive to. Im not a huge fan of the EQ in Cubase. Its 4 bands, I felt I could have used a few more especially on the guitar track.

https://soundcloud.com/adam-rushka/hollow-ground

I think the mix sounds decent. Bass sounds good... I like when it's got enough treble in it that you can hear it rattling against the frets, but it still has some bottom-end balls to it. Voice is marginally too loud for me... I'd drown it a little more. Can't understand what the hell he's saying, anyway... for all we know he's giving a very detailed pizza order. "No anchovies this time, you assholes! Last time you gave me fucking anchovies!"

I think the mix sounds decent. Bass sounds good... I like when it's got enough treble in it that you can hear it rattling against the frets, but it still has some bottom-end balls to it. Voice is marginally too loud for me... I'd drown it a little more. Can't understand what the hell he's saying, anyway... for all we know he's giving a very detailed pizza order. "No anchovies this time, you assholes! Last time you gave me fucking anchovies!"

Agreed. Sounds pretty good instrument wise.

As much as I am into the metal sound, I just don't get the whole shout/unintelligible vocal thing. It just ruins the music in my opinion. Maybe I am just getting old...

Now I want pizza! :)

I think the snare and especially the kicks are a bit under-represented in this one.

If you need more than four bands to EQ the guitars, you're probably not recording them right. That's what my granny says anyway, and she has boiled rat for breakfast sometimes, so I don't cross her.

I awesome, Thanks guys, The kick and snare are the parts I felt could use more work. Im not into the screaming vocals either but I couldnt find any Maiden or Megadeth to mix, LOL.

Any advice on how to get the kick and snare through with out just pushing the fade up and burying something else ? Kick is 1 track, The snare theres a top and bottom mic.

Heres the type of Metal I prefer. This is my band, We were'nt happy with the guitar tones so once I get the files I'm going to take a stab at re-amping it. I know he had clean DI lines he ended up not using. I'm hoping to learn enough that next time around we canmost of the recording ourselves. I was very happy with the drums and my bass tone though.

https://soundcloud.com/into-the-coven/salt-the-earth

My computer is stuck in double speed till I reboot. But it sounded very cool at double! :) Try to get back later and listen again, but I've got to go to work!

Any advice on how to get the kick and snare through with out just pushing the fade up and burying something else ? Kick is 1 track, The snare theres a top and bottom mic.

Here's one that demonstrates the basic principle. It talks about mixing guitars, but you can apply to anything in a mix that's overlapping and masking.

If you want another hit that makes it even clearer, watch the first half of this one by Dan Worrall - he rocks.

I thought this sounded pretty good.

I might suggest a little more bite on the guitars? Maybe. And just a wee bit if that.

I like the bass.

Drums are OK. Cymbals are a little phasey and swishy. Might be an mp3 or web player conversion. The SC player will do that sometimes. I thought the kick was maybe a little too loud.

Other than that, I thought it was good.

Made a few changes to it. Got some more snap out of the snare and lowered the vocals a bit which made the cymbals stand out a bit more.

Ill upload it in a bit

Back