First House Beat - Need Help

TheLurker

Hello all!

So I'm trying to broaden my horizon by branching out from rock/funk to some electronic music... Here is my first track I have ever created in the "House" genre... Any feedback is appreciated! Is this mixed/mastered well? Also, how does my low end sound?

https://soundcloud.com/brad-mash-1/pump-n-jump

Thanks for any feedback!

TheLurker

Robots and crawlers are the views. So don't be hurt. However, techno/beats don't get commented on much because there are just not many electronic only music lovers here. Just being real.

I don't care for the genre either and usually don't listen to the ones that get posted...however I did listen to some of yours and I thought it was really cool. Some interesting stuff happening on it. You may be too young to remember these guys, but for some reason it reminds me of a group back in the 80's called "Jonzun Crew".

Regardless, great job, sounds really good.

OK, I hear the kick (I would reduce it a hair), but you need more bottom. Maybe dropping they synth or adding something that can give it more butt! Top end sounded pretty good. My sub didn't even kick in, it should have been jumping. Watch for rumble but add some bottom (50-200?).

Pretty good tune, has some interesting sounds and good interesting parts. Really not bad and one of the better techno tunes I've seen come through here. You actually know how to play or know enough that it sounds like it!

Robots and crawlers are the views. So don't be hurt. However, techno/beats don't get commented on much because there are just not many electronic only music lovers here. Just being real.

I don't care for the genre either and usually don't listen to the ones that get posted...however I did listen to some of yours and I thought it was really cool. Some interesting stuff happening on it. You may be too young to remember these guys, but for some reason it reminds me of a group back in the 80's called "Jonzun Crew".

Regardless, great job, sounds really good.

Ah that's true, I never thought about web crawlers getting the views - good point. I feel better!

Thanks for the feedback! I'll check that group out - I have heard of them I believe but couldn't tell you anything about them.

OK, I hear the kick (I would reduce it a hair), but you need more bottom. Maybe dropping they synth or adding something that can give it more butt! Top end sounded pretty good. My sub didn't even kick in, it should have been jumping. Watch for rumble but add some bottom (50-200?).

Pretty good tune, has some interesting sounds and good interesting parts. Really not bad and one of the better techno tunes I've seen come through here. You actually know how to play or know enough that it sounds like it!

Thanks man. I have to totally agree that the bottom end is just not there... I couldn't tell if the main synth with the kick made up for it or not, but your comment seals the deal. I'm not sure whether I should just take the main synth (which is actually a bass synth modified), duplicate it, and make one appeal to the low end and the others appeal to mid/high... OR just have a whole other track with a different instrument just for bass.

Thoughts?

TheLurker

Thanks man. I have to totally agree that the bottom end is just not there... I couldn't tell if the main synth with the kick made up for it or not, but your comment seals the deal. I'm not sure whether I should just take the main synth (which is actually a bass synth modified), duplicate it, and make one appeal to the low end and the others appeal to mid/high... OR just have a whole other track with a different instrument just for bass.

Thoughts?

TheLurker

I was thinking the same thing, wrote that, then deleted it. I would try it, but you may want to do a new track to add to the song. My first thought says do new to keep it interesting. But I would probably try the copy and drop for immediate satisfaction. ;)

I thought it sounded OK.

I thought you did a decent job of changing things often enough to keep up user interest.

Adding to some earlier comments, a kind of droning bass would help solidify the low end. Which I agree is a little lacking.

Other than that, I thought it sounded pretty good.

I thought it sounded OK.

I thought you did a decent job of changing things often enough to keep up user interest.

Adding to some earlier comments, a kind of droning bass would help solidify the low end. Which I agree is a little lacking.

Other than that, I thought it sounded pretty good.

A droning type bass could be interesting - I'll see what I can do tonight. Also, I'm recording the vocals with my friend tonight for it, so a new version of the song will be posted relatively soon hopefully. I appreciate all of the feedback!

- Needs more bass (possibly droning feel to it)
- Still needs vocals (minimal, to add ambiance)

Try some of kcearl's links and listen to the bottom end. You mids & tops are fine but the thing needs baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasss.

The fact is, you probably can't hear that the thing needs bass with the monitors you're using. I noticed immediately that for house, there aint enough bass. It's going to be tricky for you to get that low end if you can't really hear it. I would say, though, to forget the drone and use a repeated riff in the low-sub bass. Augment the riff occasionally, but keep the same motif running through the tune. Save up and get some monitors that kick out the low bass--I just got some big Focals and my God, I can't believe what I've ben missing . . . .

Sounds great on my headphones. For me the "lead synth" gets a little tiresome. The one that comes in at 0:44. I think you should drop that out at least once or twice.

Everything else was pretty cool and very well done. Nice work!

Thanks for all of the feedback guys! I have mixed/mastered this multiple times, and really like the current version on soundcloud in terms of how things are sitting in comparison with everything else.

I have vocals recorded now from my friend who sounds amazing... I'm just not sure how they are sitting in the mix right now...

I also have a friend of mine who is listening to the song and, when he gets back to me, may be recording a bass line for the song. So, nothing new quite yet, but I'm definitely in the works on it right now and will hopefully have the "complete" version up soon for feedback!

Thanks everybody,

TheLurker

I would push the compression on the mix a little harder when you finish to get more in your face. That kick, can't say it was working for me. Maybe cut some of the top off of it to give it more thump and pump. Maybe this is were pulsing the compressor might help it. Your fade in seems a little long.

What I could tell, the vocals sounded good and everything else sounds like it will work really well once you get your bottom end sorted out.

You probably won't have it mastered, so once you are close to the finished mix you may want to push everything so it sounds good on a dance floor. At least that is the way I interpret this kind of music to be played.

Back