Fire The Gun - Rock Track (1st Post)

BCF1

So I'm a Newbie at home recording but been writing/performing music for some years. After listening to a handful of tracks posted here it was clear to me I could learn a lot from members of this forum. Hope to get some feedback.

ARTIST: Myself

Track: FIRE THE GUN

Genre: ROCK

Disclaimer: Singing is not my strenght. Far from a crooner, more of a grunt, growl and moan approach with totally unneccesary screams thrown in to solidify the context of this disclaimer

Here is a link

https://app.box.com/s/ps7axfs3z1o4qkixohcoxvwbpa9byz4e

Soundcloud - The way Soundclouds compression works never seems to do me any favors but .....

https://soundcloud.com/bcf-1/fire-the-gun

Last edited:
You have to have a box account to play the file...sorry. Try posting the song to soundcloud, soundclick, reverbnation, or one of the others that allows free plays.

Sorry guys I was unaware that an account was needed to listen at appbox. Learning stuff already :) here's a soundcloud link. It's a different(older) mix then the appbox link but very similar. The difference being I brought the cymbals down a bit and the kick up a bit for the appbox mix. Thanks BCF1

https://soundcloud.com/bcf-1/fire-the-gun

Definitely a rocking track. Good heavy guitar sound. Couldn't hear much bass, but maybe that was your intention. The vocal could come up in the early part of the song.

Very KISS-like. How are you doing your guitars? The beginning intro sounds good and then when it kicks in they sound mono or or out of phase. Are there two guitars? If so are they two separate recordings or did you copy and paste?

I think it's a super cool song. Total 80s hair metal style. Once everything kicks in though it all gets a bit smashed up. You should consider cleaning it up a bit.

The song was mostly about just messing around with recording. I originally called it cookie cutter cause of its generic quality. Not ever being a glam rock fan I was shootin more Blues/Rock but agree it's dangerously close to cheese. I recorded seperate guitar tracks no copy and paste. I'll add a link to an updated mix..............Thank for the imput much appreciated

The song was mostly about just messing around with recording. I originally called it cookie cutter cause of its generic quality. Not ever being a glam rock fan I was shootin more Blues/Rock but agree it's dangerously close to cheese. I recorded seperate guitar tracks no copy and paste. I'll add a link to an updated mix..............Thank for the imput much appreciated

80's hair metal doesn't necessarily mean it's cheesy lol. There's a ton of bands who were from that hair genre who really killed it. To be honest most of those guitarists were brilliant guitar players. I probably should of said 80s heavy metal. It's reminiscent of bands like wasp, twister sister, ratt etc. I have this video game called Rocksmith that teaches people how to play guitar. It comes with a USB guitar cable you can plug into your computer, xbox, ps3 or what ever you have lol. Super fun once you get the hang of it. The song "round and round" by Ratt was one of the hardest songs I've learned playing that game and you would be surprised how innovative it is. Anyways, just food for thought.

The guitars sound cool. Nice growl to them.

After the intro, the mix gets very narrow. I would just keep the hardpanned guitars once the vocal comes in.

The mix is also guitar heavy. They're out in front of the vocal.

The bass has a solid low end, but it's a little indistinct. A bit mushy. Not horrible, but a little.

I liked the lead guitar. Maybe add a little more reverb.

Drums were extremely narrow. All I can really hear is the snare for much of the mix. I can hear cymbal crashes, but not much hats.

Back