FINISHED!!!! ? Softdance by Pygmy Beat

rayc

retroreprobate

RAMI on drums, Gerry Steele rips the guitar solo, Terry Berman on vocals & sax leaving me to worry about bass & rhythm guitar.
It took a while (written in 1985 or 6) but is where I can get it.

Is terry who normally does your vocals? He sounds a lot like your earlier PB stuff.

The cymbals seem a little wide, and they're definitely burying the snare a little.
It's got a more rock groove than a lot of your earlier stuff, which I can get behind.

Sax sounds pretty good.

VHS,
Yes it's the original PB singer.
The drums are a stereo mix done by RAMI in 2008.
Sax part 1 recorded in a shower recess - worked for me.
Thanks mate
Robus,
Thank you.

I liked this when I heard the version before this mastered one on your soundcloud. I really like the rhythm guitar sound - loads of tone. Drums are clear and punchy as you'd expect. (;) ).
The saxophone parts are excellent - they remind me very much of Lora Logic's work on X-Ray Spex and The Stranglers' records in the late '70s - very nostalgic to me and a definite thumbs up. The low end is a good deal tighter and less woofy than the last version I heard - good work there. If I have one criticism at all, it's that the vocal style is very mannered and somewhat laid back for my tastes, where a more vibrant, punkier style would have topped it all off nicely for me. Great song, though.

Yes, good song, with a really energetic rhythm guitar part. I like the sax solo - offers a nice contrast with the guitars. The vocals sound a little muddy or dull to me - I wish there was a bit more high end to them. Congratulations on finishing off an old song - doing that is always a bit like an archaeology project.

Bump for a good song not getting much comment. :)

Agreed. I've heard this a bunch of times in different versions and it's a great one of yours Ray.

Personally think the style of vocals work really well here. It's always reminded me of Goodbye & Hello era Tim Buckley and that folky edge suits it more than a punky snarl style I think.

Hope you've finally got the mix where you wanted and Fran's mastering lets you draw a line under it. Wouldn't change anything, it sounds excellent :thumbs up:

Thanks Rob & jm67,
Vocals were recorded to tape at least 20 years ago and have been tweaked as much as is possible without dehumanizing them. Terry is the sort of singer who lets the words to the emoting...I know that's a risk as most folk don't seem to care about lyrics too much but there you have it.
Yep, I'm pleased to put this one away as it was the 2nd or 3rd song we wrote back in 86 or 87. Vox were re recorded mid 90s and the drums were added in about 2006 everything else has been redone almost to death. I managed, with Greg_L's help, to find a guitar tone that matched the song so that gave me a good excuse to get it finished - Ido1957 added the icing with his solo so Fran sprinkled a little fairy dust & now I call it done.

great vibe on this tune. Like Buaba po said....fantastic rythym guitar tone. The reverby sax works well. Drums are great. I like it a lot. No nits from me!

jimistone,
Thanks for the generous comments.
The guitar tone took decades to find but only about a year once I worked out it needed a cranked valve amp to get there.
That's my little 5W Kustom Defender - achieving what my 100w Superbass couldn't.
Sax reverb courtesy of the shower stall in my 1st home - circa 1986.
Cheers

sounds great, stuck in a very specific period...Id actually like to hear someone with a grittier tone sing it, not that theres anything wrong with the vocals

Ive got one of those kustom stacks too, great bang for buck

Back