Finished mix... Listen to mine, and I'll listen to yours.

squibble94

Nature of Force
Sooooo..... My song "Xinx" is finally done!!! Take a listen and tell me what you think. If you want me to check something out, I'll gladly do it. Click on my sub, and click "Xinx" on soundclick.

Software: Sonar Home Studio 6
Audacity
Drag and Drop Drummer

Mixer: Fostex

Bass: Peavey Patriot

Guitars: Peavey HP EXP
Oscar Schmidt Acoustic

Amp: Peavey Vypyr

Any input will be accpeted

Last edited:
Nice music, very pleasant to listen to. The first song sounds a lot like John Mayer's "Waiting on the World to Change". The only thing that sounded a little weird to me was the strummed acoustic on the second song. Sounded a little distant and fuzzy. Other than that, loved it.

I agree with Guitar Zero. I especially liked the one you wrote for your mom. I enjoyed how you panned the different parts. I could picture two guitarists doing the lead bits, harmonizing with each other, and the rhythm guy in the background. You may want to work on your playing technique a bit, there were several moments it seemed a little "buzzy" (not holding down the strings tight enough?) on the acoustic guitars.

I enjoyed your composition in all three songs.

Hey squibble94,
sound indeed like you got inspired by John Mayer, first song chords reminds me of John Mayer's No Such Thing. But it sounds very original, very clean sound.
My point of critique would be try to beef up the drums ( I have the same issue in my posted song).
Maybe choose a more bigger sounding drumkit for your drum sound.
Hope it helps!

Really Like this one. Lovely guitar sound/playing. The guitar harmonies work really well. Well recorded too everythings clear and well defined in the stereo field.
I would be very wary about changing anything it sounds damm good as it is, the guitars which are the main feature sound excellent, dont make the drums too loud and spoil it.:)

sculpt

I like this one very much. As somebody said already the panning on the electric guitars at the end had good placemet and sat very well. One thing I did notice is that the drums kind of stuck out at me for some reason. It came to me that the kick was pretty weak. Barely there really. In fact the whole production seemed to be lacking in the low end quite a bit. I think it would have hit a little harder with more low end. Mind you I am listening through headphones, but I did listen to a bit through speaker. At a low volume though. I may be wrong, so maybe somebody here that can listen with a decent set of speakers can validate or invalidate what I'm saying. Good song though.

-Adam.

Thanks a lot everyone. It's nice to have some one else judge your music... It's kind of hard for a 14 year old to do it alone. All of the different input helps it in the end. So thanks again!

Xinx - I really enjoyed listening to this. It has a feel to it that conveys a strong sense of musical personality.:)

A+ for the...
- Writing
- Arranging, both for the balance between the parts and the buildup as the piece progressed
- Mix, and I think the balanced is largely a result of the good arranging
- Feel in the guitar performance

Recording quality is good.

You're 14, right? That's fine guitar playing for any age, but surprising for 14. My only suggestion about the track is that, as you work on your guitar playing and mature as a musician, focus a lot on pitch control. You're a little flat on the lead lines a lot of the time. Now, I wouldn't mention that usually because it's only out by a bit, but all the other aspects of this are so good... if the intonation of those lines was perfectly in tune this track would be totally pro, IMO.

:)

XLR must have a golden ear or something because the intonation sounds fine to me... perhaps I just see it as "personality".. I think I am much worse when it comes to intonation.. but then, it's tough to keep lower grade equipment perfectly in tune.. I go out of pitch after just a few takes..

Nice music, very pleasant to listen to. The first song sounds a lot like John Mayer's "Waiting on the World to Change".

it's actually that "i wanna run thru the halls of my high school..." song you're thinking of (the name escapes me), but yes the opening chords had me believing for a second you uploaded that john mayer song and were claiming it as your own. musically, that whole genre of smooth breezy AOR jazz rock is not my bag, therefore i have to say the song did not really do it for me. then i read that you're 14! holy crap, i had nowhere close to your technical skill when i was that age. i think you're right about where you should be and with that, i'm going to give you a couple pieces of advice since you're young and your mind is still maleable. listen to music. not just what's on the radio, but everything you can get your hands on... klezmer, hawaiian ukulele music, tibetan monks, weird jazz, weird rock, younameit. listen to it, roll around in it, let it influence you. you're probably just starting high school. you will discover (if you haven't already) that about 8 out of every 10 teenage boys plays guitar and about 80% of them would like to play some smooth breezy AOR jazz rock in the vein of john mayer. how is your sound different? what is your personal perspective as an "artist"? what are you trying to say or do with your music? i'm not saying you have to be completely original... no one is. every musician is a music fan and a ripoff artist as well, but it's through that process of interpreting what others have done and filtering it through your unique perspective that music grows and changes through the years. music is my hobby, as it is i'm sure for most folks on this board. as a hobby it can be frustrating, labor-intensive, and expensive. but it can also be really really fun. if you plan to continue, and you should seeing as you are such a talented player at such a young age, now is the time to get out there and listen . your ears will tell you what's good. advice #2: knowing how to play, smooth riffing and such... it is important to a degree, but don't overestimate it's importance. simpler communication is almost always more effective, and this applies to music too. i haven't been on this board too long but already i can tell you that there are about 10 different threads debating theory vs. instinct (general consensus: theory can help but instinct is critical). listen to the music on the weather channel. these are some tight musicians, but can you really tell one song from another? if so, your ears are better than mine. playing music you'll meet all kinds of people who put so much effort into shredding, but can't write their way out of a wet paper bag. avoid this and find your voice. you're still young and have plenty of time. you're already recording your own stuff. that's awesome. this gives you a head start. anyways, i just scrolled up and noticed i'm entering rant territory so i best clam up before some old-timer calls me an asswipe (or even worse, a spamming newbie).

good luck and stick with it. your skills are impressive for your age.
ps- liked the second song on your page (looking deeper?) alot.

it's actually that "i wanna run thru the halls of my high school..." song you're thinking of (the name escapes me), but yes the opening chords had me believing for a second you uploaded that john mayer song and were claiming it as your own. musically, that whole genre of smooth breezy AOR jazz rock is not my bag, therefore i have to say the song did not really do it for me. then i read that you're 14! holy crap, i had nowhere close to your technical skill when i was that age. i think you're right about where you should be and with that, i'm going to give you a couple pieces of advice since you're young and your mind is still maleable. listen to music. not just what's on the radio, but everything you can get your hands on... klezmer, hawaiian ukulele music, tibetan monks, weird jazz, weird rock, younameit. listen to it, roll around in it, let it influence you. you're probably just starting high school. you will discover (if you haven't already) that about 8 out of every 10 teenage boys plays guitar and about 80% of them would like to play some smooth breezy AOR jazz rock in the vein of john mayer. how is your sound different? what is your personal perspective as an "artist"? what are you trying to say or do with your music? i'm not saying you have to be completely original... no one is. every musician is a music fan and a ripoff artist as well, but it's through that process of interpreting what others have done and filtering it through your unique perspective that music grows and changes through the years. music is my hobby, as it is i'm sure for most folks on this board. as a hobby it can be frustrating, labor-intensive, and expensive. but it can also be really really fun. if you plan to continue, and you should seeing as you are such a talented player at such a young age, now is the time to get out there and listen . your ears will tell you what's good. advice #2: knowing how to play, smooth riffing and such... it is important to a degree, but don't overestimate it's importance. simpler communication is almost always more effective, and this applies to music too. i haven't been on this board too long but already i can tell you that there are about 10 different threads debating theory vs. instinct (general consensus: theory can help but instinct is critical). listen to the music on the weather channel. these are some tight musicians, but can you really tell one song from another? if so, your ears are better than mine. playing music you'll meet all kinds of people who put so much effort into shredding, but can't write their way out of a wet paper bag. avoid this and find your voice. you're still young and have plenty of time. you're already recording your own stuff. that's awesome. this gives you a head start. anyways, i just scrolled up and noticed i'm entering rant territory so i best clam up before some old-timer calls me an asswipe (or even worse, a spamming newbie).

good luck and stick with it. your skills are impressive for your age.
ps- liked the second song on your page (looking deeper?) alot.

Thanks for the compliment on Looking Deeper! I do listen to a wide variety of things (Primus, Frank Zappa, Mr. Bungle, Joe Satriani, Phish, Tom Petty, The Smithereens, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Sam Roberts, ELP, Robert Fripp, Supergrass, CG3, Tony Levin, Peter Gabriel, Peter Frampton, Rush, Errorhead, and King Crimson... To name a few) I totally agree with you on the shredding thing. No one focuses on the music. It's all about speed and flashiness. I will admit, I do play some speedy stuff sometimes, but I like feeling along with it. I have explored music, and I am still exploring. I want to move on to less common things. I learned how to play Andy Mckee's "Drifting" and its one of the most unconventional things I've ever seen. Anyway, that song was written in 5th grade, before I knew about a lot of the bands I listen to now. As I said, I'm probably going to post a new song in August some time. This way you can hear new material instead of old material.

Thanks again!

Nice work. I can get what XLR is on about - it's hard to nitice these days as so many voclaists sang slightly flat in the 80's it's modified the accepted placement.
I can't place this stylistically. The bass is nice - has definition & bottom end may need a little more def when not doing runs. The distorted gtr section reminds me of Boston - almost a classic Boston chorus.
Nice fade out too!

hi again squibble. hey just realized my comments might have been a little presumptuous. i apologize if that's how they were taken. i'm the type who sometimes shouldn't be allowed near the innanet. as i said before, your skills are impressive. keep it up and i look forward to hearing the next one!

Back