Finally, they posted my song...

tubedude

Ok, MP3.com finally posted it after a week.
Heres the scoop, and I won't make TOO many excuses. I'm a tad weird about people hearing my stuff, cause I'm kinda, well sensitive to my own music. This song has been majorly compared to Creed, which is good or bad, depending on how you look at it. I hate it, since I wrote this BEFORE the Creed revolution. The main reason I think, is my buddy Brians voice. He is a stand in, he wrote the lyrics and everything in about an hour, and then we went and shot them in 3 takes and comped, so... you get the picture. Still not bad though. Hes a good rock singer, really. Just made my song sound like Creed, dammnit!
Lets see... I got to use a good Focusrite preamp/compressor and a Neumann on the vocals,.. they are compressed to hell and back, 3 takes.
Guitars are double miked with a beta57 and a Sennheiser. I used a Mesa Quad for dirty, and a Mashall $50 combo with 10 inch speaker for the clean sound, believe it or not.
Bass is direct, and it got screwed up at the very beginning trying to move transients around (bassist jumped the gun, and we tried to fix it instead of taking another take... all for fun) at the beginning, so you can kinda hear the sustain happen almost BEFORE the note, oh well... fattened it up with Antares Mic modeler and the warmth control.
Drums have Sennheisers all the way around.
As for the mix, its not bad for a 1/2 days tweaking, the dirty guitars come in a tad too loud, the whispering in the middle is too low, and I think thats all I'll bitch about for now. Let me know what you think.... please be gentle! ;) This song WAS well practiced, without the singer, but somehow it ends up getting faster towards the end.
Oh, and I didnt have a band name or a song name, so I called it Tubedude, and the song "i dunno".
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/243/tubetude.html

Damn, I like it! I'll leave it to someone else to pick it apart because I think it rocks as it is. One thing that struck me is that it would be nice to get a bit more punch/bass out of drums, which sound a little thin at times. But other than that, seriously, this is good shit.

I am only listening on Creative PC speakers.....
but I think you are right that the bass is the weakest link. I don't know what kind of bass it is, but try it out micing up a bass cab. You will probably get a thumpier sound.
Also, you have to realize that, no matter the music, people hear the vocals the most. And that does sound like the creed guy there. The vocal doubling was creedlike, too.

Oh- you said a Neumann on the vocals, but which one?

H2H

i think the recording sounds great! the singer reminds me more of tool than creed,which in my book is more of a compliment. nice job!

Damn, that's good. I like the drum sound, full enough sounding here. Bass level is fine to. You already said the dirty guitars come in a tad loud, not much though.

Great work!

don't make me swear

but I swear, the first instant I heard the voice, I actually thought it was creed.

Which brought out something. I just could not imagine creeds voice in that kind of space. I think creeds room is a little bit bigger, and the voice is a little bit more forward. THe vocal recording itself sounded great if a little bit covered. Maybe just bringing the fader up about .5 -1.0 dbs will fix that

NOw, the guitars were happening. I just love the way they sound and the space they are in

I think the bass could have come up a little bit(without bringing up the reverb sound)

THe mix was very clean. great

Good job, I had been waiting for your work for some time, and you did not dissapoint at all with quality

And thanks for becoming a part of the family before posting. I hate it when I see someone with a total of 2 posts coming to the clinic

keep it up

Very cool song... Excellent recording by my ears. If I wanted to be really pickey I could say the snare sounded kind of funny in certain places, but given the overall effectiveness of the entire tune, I wouldn't change a thing.

By the way, I liked the song...sorry I forgot to say it. And it sounds better on bigger speakers. I hate PC speakers.

H2H

CyanJaguar,you said you hate it when you see people with two posts ,posting in the mp3 clicnic. why? if someone has a song done,and would like some feedback from this site,why wait? why not go for it? thats what this sites all about right? when it comes down to it,its about the recording music,letting people hear it,and hopefully have someone help ya out a little,no?

anyways,still a great job with your song,tubedude

Jager, a lot of people do the drive by post thing...

"hey check out my song"..

Worse thing is when you spend all the time, really listening to the song and they never come back... why?
because that was not their intention.

Jager you are in a different category, you are here, so don't take CJ's post personally. He brings up a valid point.

No flame war here.

:)

Thanks all... glad you like it, if you like it... :)
Ummm, the vocals were a 108 through a tube Focusrite, I think its called the Red series.
The snare does seem to move in and out... we recorded it with the deadringer off, and it made it stand out better, but added some overtones that weren't really apparent to me at the time. All fun and games though, ya know. I intend to get really good at this and start doing it locally... I'm only about $50,000 away... hahahaha
What i think the vocals are missing (besides more practice) was some presence.. i think the compressor killed the high end a little, but he's impossible to record without it, really... all over the place db-wise, and he doesnt stand still... dances in between his part, very energetic.
And the bass was a Spector...
All the guitars were doubled with the double miked setup, panned hard left and right. Except the clean, there was single mic on that, and some delay. Weird clean sound.
A beta 57 where cone meets coil, and a Sennheiser about mid cone, both fairly close, at the same distance on dirty.
Hopefully, I'll get some more stuff done in the next few months, but right now I have no place to set up drums, so I might get some loops and sampled drums and make them myself, and see how that works.
Peace,
Paul

Since I'm nowhere near doing any real recording anytime soon myself (new studio construction) I thought I'd see what was happening in this area. Well worth the visit-Very nice!!!

Very very nice... good use of dynamic contrast with the rhythm guitars over the verses and choruses... the drummer rocks...

definitley no flame wars,not from me anyways. i just didnt understand his point,and i wanted to. but now i understand what he meant. and its all cool. ive actually been hanging out around this site since ALMOST the begining. ive registered under a different name along time ago,but never used it because i never had any songs to post. but thank god some inspiration is back in my life,and im writing music again. and this site helps alot.

ciao for now

This is actually very good tracking.

I didn't dig the mix too much though on a variety of fronts.

Dynamically it really goes up and down too much for the genre. The "depth" of the drums don't match the guitar and vocal, which by the way sound very good!

I feel the bass could use a much more present, "round" sound to it.

The drums could be improved with a decent reverb applied to it. Look to at least a Lexicon MPX 500. Also, I don't think the snare sound is going to work in this song. I bit to "splatty" for my taste in this genre. Look at getting a bit more of a "pingy" piccalo type of sound next time and you would have a winner. Most snare can produce that kind of sound if you crank the hell out of the bottom head and tune the top head til it really rings. Make sure to leave the "snares" loose enough to get a bit of sizzle in the sound too, and maybe mic the top and bottom of the snare to capture the whole sound.

Two years ago, you would have had a hit here! That is both a compliment and a suggestion, both of which depend on why you are writing and producing music right now, if you know what I mean.

Good job.

Ed

Jager,

I'm glad that you understand what I meant. Emeric has said most of it, but let me just tell you how I feel.

Some people come to homerecording.com/bbs/ just to advertise their music. THey only come to the clinic and are inactive in the other categories.

The way I fell about this is that they probably go to maybe 10 boards and advertise their music, and never really return.

Also, they don't care what we think about the mix, they just want us to hear their latest smash hit, and maybe give their site a couple of hits.

I would rather listen to and help people I've got to know a little bit, and new posters fill up the limited space in the mixing clinic.

I was not talking against anybody in particular, and I am glad that you participate in the other forums.

peace

A question...

A question for whoever decided to look here again...
Overall, as a song.... how did you like it? Are the vocals strange, weird, odd? They always struck me as being kinda weird, not in content, but in the way they are brought across (the vocal pattern) and I was never sure if I liked them or not. Whats everyone else think?
My newer stuff is a tad better, I think. I wrote this quite a long time ago, and like Sonus said.. it prob fit better at some other point in time (maybe I'm getting old.... I'll be 17 in 3 months ;) Truth is, alot of my stuff is a bit stranger than that song... i think odd is kinda cool. I write some melodies that are totally off the wall sometimes, but they work well for my songs ( at least to me they do). I can't wait to post one of my songs on here in the future that has just the kind of melody I speak of, just to see if people like it or not. I dont get much input on my stuff, and this site is like gold to me.
Well I'm starting to babble, been out partying, time to crash....
Paul

By the way...

Now that I've posted, can I start being a critic too? ;)

I didn't wanna get that "who the hell does HE think HE is saying that MY mix has too much reverb?"

I can officially be bashed, and do some bashing... yeehaw...

The only real comparison to Creed(who I dont like for what it's worth)is the vocal phrasing.From a personal
taste point of viewI would have sung it differently.In every other aspect I thought it kicked ass!Very good
sound and performance.keep doin' that thing you do!

Back