Finally, they posted my song...

tubedude

Paul,

Thank you for giving me the oppurtunity to hear this.
Dude, dont make me go thrue this shit again...burn me a cd.
But anyway it rocks... I hope I get the oppurtunity to see it live.
I am flabbergasted...it is better than any of the local music that is playing in Louisville now.
Keep me posted on anything new so I can have the oppurtunity to listen

Nicci

Your Song

Hi tubedude, not being expereinced at all in band recording, I would have to say I really like the clean sound of this one in my headphones(my speakers suck) I dont listen(not intentionally) to heavy band music at all but I am here to listen and learn.
If this is what you are creating now, I can but imagine what you might be doing in the future, its really very very good. The only thing that stood out to my not so competent ears..was the ting ting...something to do with snares I think you call them, sorry Im not knowledgeable here, but it was too precise canny sounding, I think you need to maybe muffle it or whatever you do. If I sound totally stupid just ignore me...but please keep posting for us to hear :)

I liked it. Not much to pick apart. An earlier post mentioned something of a more *original* voice, rather than the "Creed" influenced sound...and I would have to go with that idea as well. There is only 1 eddie van halen, ...1 Creed.......need a new voice. However, it will sound *great* to everyone who likes Creed, but you'll never shake the comparision.....
The song is interesting as it has no real preditable melody, but when the 2nd verse comes around (when the gtrs come slamming in again) you do know what they are going to do...by playing that descending line again. good...or bad. tough song to "sing along to" which unconsciously is an attribute that many good pop/rock songs have...but many artists actually strive to stay away from in attempts to be *original*. Overall A- / B+ good stuff!!

Tubedude,

That was awesome. Great song, playing.

Maybe a little dry.

Great work!

Great effort and a hot lick, Tube. I'm not much into Creed, but this song rocked. BTW, kuddos to the drummer who didn't seem to miss a lick thru a relatively complicated beat.

Nice "rough" mix! I like the arrangement...drummer is good.

I like the treatment on the vox, and they fit the song really well. One big win in my book is the fact that the song keeps my interest througout and the instruments are not stepping on each other.

I agree with a previous post that the bass is the weakest link in this mix.

I dunno. I hate to go against the grain of public opinion, but while I understand the Creed comparisons, the guy doesn't sound EXACTLY like him or anything. More like "reminiscent" rather than "a clone" or something. At least he doesn't do that "singing like my jaw is wired shut" thing that Stapp does.

It's all just ripping off Alice In Chains anyway. ;)

I liked the song. I LOVED the tom sound and loved the drumming. I felt like it was pretty darned dry, distractingly so, but like AC/DC's "Big Gun", if you can get away with a buck dry mix and things still sound good, you're doing something right.

I agree with Ed that a fatter, less "papery" snare sound would help this song. I just bought a Chad Smith signature snare that gets the most amazing snare sound on tape with nothing but an SM57 on it and the EQ set flat. So much of getting a good drum sound onto tape is starting with a good drum. Once you got that, then use Sonusman's tips and tricks to get you the rest of the way. He's much more nit-picky about stuff than I am. ;)

Overall I felt like the point of the song got across well and as I said I loved the toms and the drumming. For my <b>personal taste</b>, I'd like to hear more of a "hook" in the chorus. I just don't feel as is that I'd come away humming anything. But I also realize that this genre of music doesn't so much hang its hat on "hooks" the way some genres do.

Great work! I enjoyed listening.

Great Job Tubedude!!!!

CharlesThomas said:
For my personal taste, I'd like to hear more of a "hook" in the chorus. I just don't feel as is that I'd come away humming anything.
Just the opposite for me, I've been humming that song like crazy since I heard it (last night). It does sound alot like Creed, but I mean that in a good way because I do actually really like Creed, (gasp!!!) :eek: I don't know what the deal is with EVERYONE hating Creed, but I like them and I like this song too (his Creed-like voice really fits the song IMO).

Well, I suppose I'm asking for it for saying I like Creed in a place like this, oh well.....if worse comes to worse I can always change my screen name. ;)

-tkr

My reasons for disliking Creed have less to do with their music than their message and the lead singer's Messiah complex. ;)

Anyway, I hope my minor criticism wasn't construed as either:

a) Me not liking the song, because I totally dug it.

b) Dogmatic. I didn't hear a hook, but you did. Kewl! Everyone has their own taste in music, that's kind of the beauty of it.

For example, I posted some of my music here and one guy wrote that he didn't like the first song, but liked the second and third, which is the exact opposite reaction from 99% of the people who've listened to them. I find that very interesting. He's just got a very different set of ears and tastes than I do. I dig that.

So to reiterate: really liked the song.

Thanks, all.... I can't beleive its still alive on here! :)
Happy stuff :)

And I'm NOT ripping off AIC!!!!! ;)

Yep, it was pretty dry... wish I still had it to tweak on some more...

.....So do I.......

....and if you ever decide to re-do that song again HOLD ON TO THOSE TRACKS!!!!! ('cause I want em :D)

-tkr

sigh...

I wish! I haven't tracked in about 3 months... no singer (he's in rehab til October, unless he escapes again), drummer has been busy with kids and new pregnant girlfriend and a 10 hour a day job... etc etc etc.... I've had a hard-on for quite awhile now to just jam. THe only thing I've been tracking is new stuff I write on to a tapedeck so I wont forget it. Total suck.
I have some stuff with no vocals on it that I might post, but I gotta dig it out. Some if it is on tape, too, which means I'd have to convert it to digital from analog, then to mp3... yuck. The one I tried to post but never showed up had no vocals on it, but I did all the guitars with ampfarm in protools, and it sounded pretty damn good. I was surprised. The cool thing is, you can change guitar sounds during mixdown or during different parts, long after you're done tracking. Make dirty sounds clean, clean ones dirty, whatever... Pretty cool.
I'll try to get something posted soon, but no promises...

I really like the lyrics too. Who wrote them? I Have been listening the song for two weeks and man it gets even better....

So tubedude get your act together I can't wait to hear some more.

I think I know what you're facing, It took me about 3 months to find one weekend that would fit in everyones schedules. It's hard to even get the band together, but I have found that when it takes those three months, then the band gets together it can work out like magic... I know it did in our case we were suposed to record drumtrack in our school studio for 4 songs instead 4 we got 6 and all killer tracks. Found out again that the key to a good drum sound is (in this order) a good drummer, good drums, mics and placement...(I love our drummer)

now I will get my computer next monday. soundcard and preamps in few weeks... hope I get tha rest of the project started in the end of the summer...but our bass player and drummer are touring with their choir in Germany....damn it sucks...

Thanks for the song...

Nice delivery in the singing - good pronunciation of 'twisted', lovely rhythmic things going on - 'what has happened to me'. Doubled vocals in places really work well.

Musically, it's the intensity plus that guitar when you're not singing that give the song its most memorable character. However, musically again, the segment of the song that works the best, I think, is the first part with the singing before the music gets all raw - that part of the song fits together like some beautiful thing.

I think Ed's right about the bass. The sound's respectable, but this is a really good recording, and I think you can find a better sound for the bass. Good playing, by the way - is that you?

This isn't metal, is it? I don't like metal much, but I really like this. :)

No, my stuff doesn't sound like this, nor do my lyrics address themselves to the issue you raise in this song. :)

This is a good example of people who take the time to write a great song & back it up with great musical talent.

I liked everthing except the vocals. I hate the whole "I'd better finish eating this sandwich while I'm singing" style of singing, but
therein the money lies today with the kiddies...
Don't just blame Creed for this, there was a band called Pearl Jam last Century that I believe started it.

But killer job on all fronts, Tubie~

DJ

*Clap, Clap* That was wonderful tubedude! However after reading the previous replies, i didn't think the guy sounded as much like the Creed dude as i had expected him to. I like Creed, but this song was great by its own merits.

I did think the song was a bit muffled though; a little heavy on the compression maybe? Don't pay much attention to me though, i will always be a newbie when it comes to the mixing technicalities compared to rest of you guys.

I hope things come together with your band so you can post more of your music. Keep up the good work! :)

t

Back