Fiddlin' Around (Dierks Bentley cover)

keith.rogers

This is another one of my "sow's ear" projects where I seem to think I have time to kill so throw together a scratch track and try to get some friends from a local open mic to come over whenever they can to toss stuff in until I reach a critical mess. As usual, I've thrown in the towel before going back to redo the vocal/guitar scratch tracks, and the planned banjo track just is never going to happen it seems, so, here it is. (Not a "show-off forum" piece of course - this is a hobby, after all - but I might redo the scratch stuff, or tweak it a bit if I get some inspiration.)

Fiddlin' Around (Dropbox link - MP3 upload fails)

Edit: latest version is on SoundCloud now - scroll down...

Last edited:
A nice, easy goin' piece. Traditional. I like that. I imagined a banjo and some vocal harmonies - sounded good.

A nice, easy goin' piece. Traditional. I like that. I imagined a banjo and some vocal harmonies - sounded good.
Thanks for the listen. Imagining banjo is about as good as it's probably going to get, but there was a little bit of harmony in the chorus!

It's a nice tune. I like how it moves. I love the fiddle on the left.

First thing I noticed was that the left side is much louder than the right. There is nothing to balance the fiddle.

The vocal is a little tentative. I'd go for another take with more confidence.

Drums are way back in the mix and it's almost all snare. Can't hear cymbals and kick.

[MENTION=12651]TripleM[/MENTION], it's essentially a straight copy of the original arrangement, so credit goes to DB & band for the feel.

I did a slight rebalance and pulled the vocals back and pushed instruments (but not drums) up. The drums are really just brushes for the most part. Might revisit that after my head clears.

The vocal is not calling to me for a redo, even though I said I might. Maybe some head-clearing will do an adjustment there, too ;).

Remix on SC now.
Fiddlin' Around (Cover) by Keith.Rogers | Keith Rogers | Free Listening on SoundCloud

You should the OP to include the latest mix. Thought you took it down and almost moved on until I scrolled down and saw this.

I'd like a little more snare drum, please. :) it's pretty low in there, and though I'm sure you wanted it like that, you might have overdone it a bit. Instruments all sound really good. I'd put the harmonies up a little too.
Thanks. I am giving my head a little rest but will probably go back and try to do something with the drums, but it'll be slight, since I'm trying to keep the overall loudness and dynamic range from creeping up/shrinking any more than it already has. This kind of stuff is pretty busy for me - more comfortable with one vocal, one guitar :).

The harmony was me at the top of my (now) range. (Surprised me how much of it I've lost since I used to be able to fake a 2nd tenor.) I'm hesitant to bring that much more forward, but might think about giving it another run someday if I get back to singing more and feel like it's not as much a stretch.

Thanks again for the listen & comments.

I'm +1 on bringing up the harmonies - this time around I listened specifically and only "thought" I heard them. I really like the overall balance and pans. I scrolled back to A/B with your OP and found it gone.

Back