Feedback on recording techniques

MattJames

Hi there

Before I started mixing this, I was interested in your take on this guys. I’ve left the guitar and vox fairly unmixed, but wondered if I should re-record both.

I can hear a few things that are bothering me, but wondered if anyone else would identify the same issues.

Rather than let you know the recording techniques, I thought I'd just get your thoughts first.

Any feedback greatly received.

Cheers
Matt

Attachments

• Simple_Little_Fact_with_Vox_-_not_much_EQ.mp3
    8.5 MB · Views: 9
The guitar sounds good to me. The vocals seem very clear....almost too clear. I want to say too much sibilance.

The performance is good, I'd almost say throw a de-esser on the vocals and you should be okay.

De esser
The intro guitar leans to the L - oh it stays there.

Balanced by the bvox - but not really - I've been more inclined to put the guitar up the middle and vocals either side.
Very good song & performance - resist the desire to embellish further.
Ignore my suggestions too for that matter - this is pretty much done.

De esser
The intro guitar leans to the L - oh it stays there.

Balanced by the bvox - but not really - I've been more inclined to put the guitar up the middle and vocals either side.
Very good song & performance - resist the desire to embellish further.
Ignore my suggestions too for that matter - this is pretty much done.

Thanks so much for your input. I've been living with it for a day or two. Took a night off and came back to it this evening. I feel the same about the panning - it's just odd. I've had a few people mentioning sibilance, too, and you're all bang on.

So, here's another pop at it:

View attachment Simple Little Fact - LSP2.mp3

Any improvement?

I tried guitar in the middle - just didn't sound right to me - the vocal needed honouring. I've centred everything a lot more and tried to use a bit of panned reverb to give it some width.

Sibilance was dealt to through a manul de-essing process. In other words - gain envelopes. Took bloody ages, but it seems to sound a little more natural than just chucking a de-esser on. Maybe I've not backed them off enough, but small steps is the approach I'm taking!

To be honest, this is the most amount of attention I've ever spent on a mix. I'm looking to actually release something locally, just to sell at gigs, so I'm keen on getting it right.

I listened to both versions. I thought the guitar sounded real good. Vox sounded OK, but I thought it was a little on the boxy side. not horrible though. Lead vocal is real dry. Maybe just a splash of an ambiance reverb.

Sounded a bit like some mic distortion around 1:46 maybe? Little pop around 2:39 on the second mix. Another one at 2:52. And 3:30.

Back