Feedback on Grungy/Rocky/Punky/Alternative tune

Finally found it! Sounds like it is in a lower key but the riff sounds real close...even the way the drums come in. Regardless, I wouldn't worry.
Seether - Remedy - YouTube

Oh i do know that song. I hear a resemblance, yes. They are a group who was obsessed with Nirvana, if I recall reading correctly about them years ago. Regarding the drums, I think that's a pretty common drum intro (snare tom snare tom). Oh well... it's possible (?) it was way back in my mind when I wrote that part? haha, i hadn't listened to Seether in about 6 years to be honest. oh well. hey thanks for finding that Bruthish, nice research!

No problem....yeah it is very nirvana-ish....so your influence was not off at all. It's a cool riff. I racked my brain all day trying to figure out what song it was..checking the local radio station playlists and checked Itunes but couldn't find it. The whole time I was thinking Seether but didn't dig deep enough into their song list I guess. lol

Finally found it! Sounds like it is in a lower key but the riff sounds real close...even the way the drums come in. Regardless, I wouldn't worry.
Seether - Remedy - YouTube

That had been bugging me since I listened yesterday. While reading back through the thread, I figured it out right before hitting this post.

I'm so sorry that you wrote a song that sounds like Seether! That must be devastating! :D

Mix sounds pretty good here.

I actually like the off time snare hits. The first time I heard it, I thought maybe it was out of place, but by the time I heard it a second time, I realized that it was intentional, and then I came to expect it and like it. Personally, I'd keep it, but that's just me and I seem to be in the minority here based on other comments.

So, sure the riffs and feel are pretty heavily influenced, but the vocal melody and the accent melody bits throughout are yours and they are well crafted and well delivered. The sense I am getting when I am listening to this is that it was really fun to record and work on. That is coming across in the recording, and that's really cool.

Mix sounds pretty good here.

I actually like the off time snare hits. The first time I heard it, I thought maybe it was out of place, but by the time I heard it a second time, I realized that it was intentional, and then I came to expect it and like it. Personally, I'd keep it, but that's just me and I seem to be in the minority here based on other comments.

So, sure the riffs and feel are pretty heavily influenced, but the vocal melody and the accent melody bits throughout are yours and they are well crafted and well delivered. The sense I am getting when I am listening to this is that it was really fun to record and work on. That is coming across in the recording, and that's really cool.

Hey thanks a lot man! It was totally fun, especially writing the lead guitar part during the chorus. The bridge was fun too because I "winged it" for 5 or 6 takes and ended up keeping the one you hear in the song. I appreciate the comments on the melodies...to me, melody is the most important part of song writing. When you get something stuck in your head, it's not the bass or lead guitar, it's the melody. So, that always comes first for me and I really appreciate you saying that. I spent about two weeks mixing this, so I'm really super glad you guys all think the mix is good. I think it shows I'm improving from my very first posts...and a lot has to do with the things i've learned from the guys around here. Especially the guitar sounds.

I think the song is cool and has a hell of a good groove. I agree with the others about the verses though the drums don't work and it loses the groove.
work that out and it will be killer.
I thought the mix was fine.

I like the intro guitar tone plenty. Intro is a little long. The mix is generally polished and practiced and somewhat predictable in its tones and techniques.

I see that you aren't really interested in talking about your composition, but we are mostly all musicians here and we can't help it: The drums and rhythm guitar in the verse sound objectively bad. It doesn't sound cool and edgy and loose, it sounds like bad programming. Personally, I would fix the guitars and bass, cause the beat is pretty sick.

Overall the bass guitar could have a more aggressive and forward presentation.

I like the intro guitar tone plenty. Intro is a little long. The mix is generally polished and practiced and somewhat predictable in its tones and techniques.

I see that you aren't really interested in talking about your composition, but we are mostly all musicians here and we can't help it: The drums and rhythm guitar in the verse sound objectively bad. It doesn't sound cool and edgy and loose, it sounds like bad programming. Personally, I would fix the guitars and bass, cause the beat is pretty sick.

Overall the bass guitar could have a more aggressive and forward presentation.

I am working on an updated version at the moment. I should have it up tonight or this weekend. It took an hour and a half to put the new parts in since I had already bounced them out...I had to re-EQ everything, it appears Studio One 2 doesn't let me import the sounds into the existing created channels. it didn't line up properly, so I had to re-channel (?) everything, which meant re-EQ and re-level. I've turned the drive down on a set of G's, turned the bass up a notch, turned the drive down a touch on the screaming vox, and put a more straight-forward beat into the chugging part of the verse. Thanks for all the input. I'll repost here when it's up, I'd appreciate you guys chiming in if you can.

thanks!

Back