Feedback on bands mix

lukenp

Hey guys, this is the first mixing I've ever done and it is for my bands debut EP. If you could give me some feedback on how to improve my mixes it would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 04 Electric Smile.mp3
    4.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 01 Practice What You Preach.mp3
    4.5 MB · Views: 29
  • 02 Rise and Fall.mp3
    4.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 03 Eternal Madness.mp3
    5.4 MB · Views: 9
Where's the bassguitarist? He's barely audible because there's very little definition to the bassguitar. I'm not an expert myself, but I am a bassguitarist and I think you should add more highs to the bass, maybe a cut around 250hz (I read that that creates more punch), because your mix is a bit muddy in the lows (bassguitar and kick are somewhat a merged sound there) and for me cutting the kick around 250hz, remove lows below 50hz on the kick and cutting the bass at 250hz helped.

I think that the source material is pretty good (what you recorded), but in one Word, it lacks production. It sounds like you just used EQ, and nothing more. If you want you can PM and I can freely show you how one of your songs could sound (I'm on vacation in another country and it's raining and I'm bored :D). Although I'm not expert in anything, the source quality has very good potential

I agree the bass and kick are a muddled mess. Lots of low end buildup in the kick, bass, and right guitar. The guitars sound really cool actually, but the mixes are very lopsided. The right rhythm guitar is way overpowering the left. Also, do yourself a favor and make better quality MP3s. 160 kb/s is crap. It's not that bad though for a first try at an EP. Just needs some tweaks.

I listened to the 1st song, and I think this is pretty good myself, and I love the dry vocal.

I feel the mix lacks "air"... and chasing that down might in itself resolve some of the bass issues.

Generally the sound is a bit "pillowy" and feels like it has been recorded in a padded room (which tends to kill the top without really controlling the bottom). But I like the style, so don't go changing too much.

I have only really used compression and EQ on this, I've sent you a PM so if you can give me any tips there it would be appreciated :)

Well done! The bottom end sounds much better (less "pillowy"), but now things are clearer the occasional timing issues on the bass are more apparent. I think that needs to be re-done (or you can painstakingly edit the bad bits).

I like the sound of the guitars, but I agree with Greg that they are a bit lopsided. They sound like you have simply panned mono sounds to specific points left and right. Read up on articles that talk about creating stereo "space" in the mix. Here is a start...
Improving Your Stereo Mixing

Back